New member seeking advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

FAAPOD

Jul 9, 2019
Atascocita, TX
While the Nord appears by all reports to be a great pod, I would recommend branching out and I would recommend branching out with the Zenith tank with the mod that comes with it, much more customizable options but it's a great kit for beginners who are getting ready to make more adjustments to their vape. You need a backup anyway.

Good luck keep at it!

Anna

Thanks for the wisdom. I went to look for the kit that you mentioned. Everything I saw indicated it’s designed for MTL vaping. Is there a way to set it up for DTL with a different coil or something? Or is there an alternative that you’d recommend for DTL?

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Gosh I musta misread, I thought you were looking for something MORE restricted. I'm sorry.

I have vaped the subOhm COILS in the Zenith both the 0.5 or whatever it is, and the 0.48 mesh (nothing else is different, as far as I know and I could be wrong about the "subOhm" Zenith, but it's not exactly set up to chuck a lot of clouds. I was surprised at the amount of cloudiness I GOT, I did not believe the tank was capable of THAT but also sorry to report for me (especially the mesh coil) I got flavor loss really early and it was disappointing. It wasn't the juice ether I left ALL the original juice in there and just changed to my preferred coil, the 1.6 and the flavor was FANTASTIC.

So I have no recommendations other than "probably not the Zenith" and "listen to people who actually do DL." They will have FAR more useful wisdom trust me.

ANna

FAAPOD

Jul 9, 2019
Atascocita, TX
Gosh I musta misread, I thought you were looking for something MORE restricted. I'm sorry.

I have vaped the subOhm COILS in the Zenith both the 0.5 or whatever it is, and the 0.48 mesh (nothing else is different, as far as I know and I could be wrong about the "subOhm" Zenith, but it's not exactly set up to chuck a lot of clouds. I was surprised at the amount of cloudiness I GOT, I did not believe the tank was capable of THAT but also sorry to report for me (especially the mesh coil) I got flavor loss really early and it was disappointing. It wasn't the juice ether I left ALL the original juice in there and just changed to my preferred coil, the 1.6 and the flavor was FANTASTIC.

So I have no recommendations other than "probably not the Zenith" and "listen to people who actually do DL." They will have FAR more useful wisdom trust me.

ANna

Nah, you didn't misread that. I actually did think I was looking for something more restricted, and would be a MTL vaper. And, to be honest, I'm not sure that I'm not still going to land. Just trying to find my way. It seems that, with the Nord, I seem to be gravitating toward DTL. But that isn't how I smoked cigarettes. It may be because the 1.6 ohm coil for the Nord, which is advertised as the MTL coil for it, didn't seem much more restrictive than the 0.6 (to me). So it never seemed to really replicate smoking. This is the only device I've used, other than than a brief stint with the Juul, which I don't really like the flavors I've tried with that. I don't use the Juul, other than for the occasional ninja puff now and then.

I do like the idea of getting the better flavor, if that's one of the benefits of MTL, as well as more closely mimicking the feel of smoking. So I may yet try the Zenith and see if I like it. I just don't want to end up with a drawer full of stuff I don't use. I could see that happening if I'm not careful, lol.

FAAPOD

Jul 9, 2019
Atascocita, TX
If you are refering to the Kroma A set up there is a sub ohm version of the Kroma A. I myself have been looking at that the Aegis Solo and the OBS Cube I haven't made my mind up yet. I know that i must soon because the wife won't let me buy all 3 :eek:

So is the only difference just the coils that you put in it, or is there more difference than that between the Kroma and and the sub ohm version of it? I only found kits for it set up for MTL.

Georgia Boy

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2019
Atlanta Georgia
So is the only difference just the coils that you put in it, or is there more difference than that between the Kroma and and the sub ohm version of it? I only found kits for it set up for MTL.
Completely different tank and coils, i believe from what i have read, that the airflow is a little restricted on this, that is why i have narrowed it down to 2 choices from the 3 (so far) the aegis solo or the obs cube. There are so many out there in this sort of range the more i read the more confused i get. I had a post last week where most people pointed me to the solo and i think thats where i am going to end up.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I did some looking and I really think specs wise it's the exact same tank, it's just which two coils come with it. I think I even bought the "sub0hm version" to try to coil because I didn't want to commit to a whole box of coils (Zenith coils, the 0.8 and the 1.6) last forever.

IDK that it would be a bad choice for you necessarily if you want to try out different vaping styles. Resistance doesn't always "change' the vape that much in pods (just my opinion) especially if you don't get any other adjustment.

I don't think it would be a terrible tank to start on, but my understanding is the Zenith sub0hm tank is a bit of, well, marketing.

I don't really blame Innoken that tank has made them a great deal of spare change. But I think it's the same and all the coils fit in all the tank, you aren't getting any extra airholes or anything to my understanding just a different coil.

Unless I got dud coils I'm no fan of the lower resistance ones but they're pretty cloudy. It's not going to be the HUGE plumes of vapor, sucking on a very large tailpipe of a mouthpiece or anything. At bottom, that tank is set up for MTL although it can certainly give you a restricted lung hit if you so desire.

Etc.

Anna

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
Meanwhile, 39 hours since my last cigarette. So I got that going for me. Fawkin jonesing though, lol.
Welcome to ECF and congrats on 39 hours since your last cig. Also on your getting going with vaping. Patience is key for quitting and finding the right gear for you - it was for me. Rarely does anyone find the right gear for themselves just starting out. I didn't. As you start finding what works for you you will end up with gear that may never get used again. No biggie really considering what you are leaving behind and it's all part of the journey IMO. The old gear becomes backups for if/when needed. I have backups for the backups and most here do. Looks like you're doing good from here.
Cheers!

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
Completely different tank and coils, i believe from what i have read, that the airflow is a little restricted on this, that is why i have narrowed it down to 2 choices from the 3 (so far) the aegis solo or the obs cube. There are so many out there in this sort of range the more i read the more confused i get. I had a post last week where most people pointed me to the solo and i think thats where i am going to end up.

A lot of descriptive words are very subjective so it’s easy to tell you what is mtl or dl, harder to tell you what is ‘really tight draw’ or ‘really airy’

We all end up with stuff we don’t use because of this. Even though I know what I like, and I know what to look for in a description, sometimes stuff just doesn’t do it for me.

Or, I’ll like it for a time, then my tastes change.

Think of it this way, your first kit cost you maybe a week’s worth of cigarettes. If you can vape it that long it’s paid for itself.

Hopefully you know other vapers as most of us do, and you can sell, gift or trade unused gear.

Big Orange

Jul 7, 2019
Hello! New member from the Houston Area, here, and I’m looking for some advice.

I’m a pack-a-day smoker (Camel Blue 99’s) and I’m looking to leave that behind and have decided to try vaping. I’m a newb, having bought my first device (a Juul) about three weeks ago. I used it for a few days, but didn’t really like it a whole lot. It’s not one specific thing, it’s just sort of ‘meh’. Maybe it’s the flavor, maybe the device itself, I don’t know.

So I visited a local shop and spent a few minutes talking with one of the guys. After asking me a few questions, he recommended a SMOK Nord and 6mg e-juice (I ended up with a flavor called RY4 and have since also tried one called Turkish). He also recommended me using the 0.6 ohm coil that comes with the Nord. It also come with a 1.4 ohm coil. The recommended was based on my telling him that I wanted to get off the cigarettes, but that I enjoyed the ‘process’ of smoking. According to the SMOK site, the 0.6 is designed for DTL and the 1.4 is designed for MTL. I am a MTL cigarette smoker.

Anyway, I’ve been using the Nord primarily with the 0.6 ohm coil and DTL, but have also tried the 1.4 and MTL. In both cases, I usually take 8 - 12 hits during a session. While I like both set-ups better than the Juul by far, I’m still feeling a bit unfulfilled and, as a result, have not completely cut out the cigarettes. I don’t know if it’s that I’m not getting enough nicotine, my technique, or what, that is leaving me wanting something more. I do feel like there is too much airflow through the Nord to replicate the sensation of smoking a cigarette MTL.

Do I have the right device? Should I switch to a nic salt? What’s the best way to replicate what I get out of smoking? Am I taking enough drags per session?Any advice, preferably with an explanation that is understandable to a newb, would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I was a 2 pack/day smoker up until 3 weeks ago. I bought several devices until I found the right combo which is the vaporesso swag and the SMOK nord (not sure which coil I put in). I used 6mg in both till a couple of days ago and dropped to 3 mg because I realized I, like you, really enjoyed the process of smoking and was vaping a lot. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed the nicotine too. The first 4 days I dual used, but the amount I smoked was substantially less.

Not going to lie and say it was super easy to completely quit, but it was a whole lot easier with a vape and I haven’t wanted a cig since I put them down completely which didn’t happen immediately. You just have to find the right device and the right juice. For me it was the Nord, plus the vaporesso swag and three really tasty juices (corn bread pudding, an in-house coffee, and jam monster strawberry - not mixed, that was gross). You also might want to binge read stories on ECF too. That actually gave me inspiration when I wanted a smoke.

Good luck! You can do this!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread