New Hops Flavor (not beer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustmight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2013
Detroit, MI USA
I haven't tried the vendor you are all discussing here, but I have made some of my own hops extractions (in addition to tobaccos) and I have to say it's a very unique vape. Don't expect it to taste at all like beer, as there's a few crucial components missing. The hops I tried, Sorachi Ace, has a very strong lemongrass flavor that dances around from a floral note to a tart, almost tangy citrus. While I don't particularly care for it on it's own, I have been experimenting with it as an additive to my tobaccos, and it compliments certain blends rather well.

Blind Squirrel

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2013
Scottsdale, AZ
Sad to say I'm not too fond of the May batch. Been vaping it for half an hour now on a Zenith RDA with a 0.2ohm dual micro coil cotton wick build. 6mg nicotine. Juice is golden yellow and is thicker than any 50/50 blend I've used. Vapor production is very good (better be at 0.2ohm :vapor:). Almost no throat hit, very smooth. Flavor is my big disappointment. It's mellow, but reminds me of rubber balloons with a hint of pine and some sweetness in the background. Going to keep working on it to see if the flavor evolves.

Last edited:
Flavor is my big disappointment. It's mellow, but reminds me of rubber balloons with a hint of pine and some sweetness in the background. Going to keep working on it to see if the flavor evolves.

I've found that, unfortunately, May's blend seems to suffer on sub-ohm builds. I think that higher heat is to blame for this, with the "rubber balloon" flavor you're describing here being caused by the flavoring becoming scorched. Hop Harvest is flavored using only natural hops extracts, which are a bit more delicate and temperature sensitive than the artificial flavorings used in most juice. In the future I will make a note of this on the label or in the booklet.

Blind Squirrel, If you have the chance to try it out on a higher resistance coil with fresh cotton I'd love to hear your thoughts on how the flavor profile changes. I personally find the sweet spot to be around 8-10w (2.2-1.7ohm coil). It doesn't create the clouds I want at that wattage, but the flavor doesn't scorch and the piney notes come to the forefront.

"Our inaugural Hop Harvest offering combines the bright fruity citrus flavor of Citra hops with the deep bitter spiceyness of Cascade hops. This is a Limited Release of 25 bottles - Orders Will Ship Monday, April 28th.

Hop-heads and IPA lovers rejoice! Frontier Vapor is proud to announce Hop Harvest, our new monthly line of small-batch e-Liquid crafted exclusively for the Hops enthusiast.

A new Hop Harvest blend will be handcrafted each month with triple-filtered extracts from the finest all natural whole-cone hops. This is not a beer flavored e-Liquid, rather it has been created to showcase the delicious herbal notes of the hop plant. It pairs well with a Pale Ale or IPA.

Hop Harvest is only available in 32mL Glass Dropper Bottles, and is mixed at a 50/50 pg/vg ratio.
We recommend trying Hop Harvest at lower nicotine strengths to preserve the full range of hop notes."

Hop Harvest April 2014 - Limited Edition e-Liquid - FrontierVapor.com

What do you think? I have no idea how a hop tastes all by itself-does anyone know?

Based on their own description, they know nothing about hops. Cascade hops provide a very citrus aroma and flavor as well. Citra does as well, but they are way off by saying cascade is bitter and spicy. Cascade generally has a fairly low beta acid content and is used generally more as an aroma hop as opposed to a battering hop. (I Homebrew and use Cascade a ton in my beers as I love the citrus aroma it provides and the low bitterness content)

That being said, hops can add all types of different flavors depending on the varietal and the time introduced into the brewing process. Not sure how a strictly hop vape would taste. Bet it would smell really good though.

Based on their own description, they know nothing about hops. Cascade hops provide a very citrus aroma and flavor as well. Citra does as well, but they are way off by saying cascade is bitter and spicy. Cascade generally has a fairly low beta acid content and is used generally more as an aroma hop as opposed to a battering hop. (I Homebrew and use Cascade a ton in my beers as I love the citrus aroma it provides and the low bitterness content)

That being said, hops can add all types of different flavors depending on the varietal and the time introduced into the brewing process. Not sure how a strictly hop vape would taste. Bet it would smell really good though.

The extraction process we use for these flavorings is considerably different from the extraction that occurs in a wort boil or even a dry hopping, so it's not entirely fair to consider our knowledge of hops based on how they taste in this format. I'm sorry that you feel we know nothing of hops, but please realize that the description was simply my attempt to describe the primary flavors as contributed by each extract. Alpha and beta acids both contribute to the bitterness of a hop variety, but the levels of bitterness will vary greatly dependent upon a number of factors, especially the amount and duration of heat applied to the extract and the subsequent isomerization it causes. In reality you are correct, both of those varieties contribute greatly to the citrus and bittering aspects of the blend, which is why they work well in concert.

I consider cascade a dual-purpose hop, and the particular cascade harvest we used for that blend had a higher than average (for cascade) alpha acid content of 8.4%, which did indeed cause the extract to have a deeper bitterness than cascade is typically known for. The humulene content of the cascade was also far higher than that of the citra (based on a tasting of the extract), which is what caused us to label them as the primary contributor of spice. Again, based on tasting the extracts, the citra was the primary myrcene contributor, which is why I chose to stress it as the citrus provider in my write-up. Perhaps describing the cascade as providing a "deep bitter spicyness" was an indelicate way to describe the complex flavor of the hop, but I am primarily a juice maker, not a writer. My apologies.

We're going to be re-releasing our April blend in the next month or so in a less-limited format, so I do hope you'll consider giving it a try. Given your love of cascade, and overall knowledge of hops I think you will find it a satisfying vape.

Blind Squirrel

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2013
Scottsdale, AZ
Blind Squirrel, If you have the chance to try it out on a higher resistance coil with fresh cotton I'd love to hear your thoughts on how the flavor profile changes. I personally find the sweet spot to be around 8-10w (2.2-1.7ohm coil). It doesn't create the clouds I want at that wattage, but the flavor doesn't scorch and the piney notes come to the forefront.

I'll do a rebuild this afternoon and report back. Looking forward to better results.

Okay, subscibed. You definitely have my interest as I enjoy IPAs and have been trying to find something good to vape with them. Will grab some of the May batch tomorrow to try out.

My preferred pairing for May's blend is a heavier brew such as an Imperial IPA or even a Stout. I've found that the flavors in May's batch can overpower the flavors in lighter pale ales, excepting maybe those of a brew primarily utilizing Simcoe or Chinook hops. I've sampled it next to a good number of beers, and I'll say that this juice can change character drastically depending on the pairing.

I expect to be re-releasing April's blend in an unlimited format sometime in the next week, so if lighter citrus IPAs are your thing you may want to wait for that. June's Limited Blend is also in the works and should be ready in about 2-3 weeks. It will blend Crystal and U.S. Golding hops for a juice which, we hope, will feature the sweet and slightly fruity notes found in those varieties, along with some woody green spice.

I'll announce releases in this thread, but if you want to be notified by email I also maintain a mailing list for those who want to stay up to date with the latest Hop Harvest blends. You can sign up for it on the Hop Harvest page of our site if you so desire.

Nice avatar, by the way.

havok333

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2012
Chapin, SC
My preferred pairing for May's blend is a heavier brew such as an Imperial IPA or even a Stout. I've found that the flavors in May's batch can overpower the flavors in lighter pale ales, excepting maybe those of a brew primarily utilizing Simcoe or Chinook hops. I've sampled it next to a good number of beers, and I'll say that this juice can change character drastically depending on the pairing.

I expect to be re-releasing April's blend in an unlimited format sometime in the next week, so if lighter citrus IPAs are your thing you may want to wait for that. June's Limited Blend is also in the works and should be ready in about 2-3 weeks. It will blend Crystal and U.S. Golding hops for a juice which, we hope, will feature the sweet and slightly fruity notes found in those varieties, along with some woody green spice.

I'll announce releases in this thread, but if you want to be notified by email I also maintain a mailing list for those who want to stay up to date with the latest Hop Harvest blends. You can sign up for it on the Hop Harvest page of our site if you so desire.

Nice avatar, by the way.

Just got my "May" order placed and signed up for the mailing list. Very, very excited to try the different hoppy flavors as they're released! Will build up a 1.6 ohm IGO-L later tonight just for your creations.

:toast:

Last edited:
Rebuilt to 1.4 ohm single coil. Pine did come forward more but flavor was very light and still disappointing to me. For me, this one is a miss.

I appreciate your willingness to give it another go on a different build, and your honesty. Sorry this blend wasn't to your taste Blind Squirrel!

Feedback on this one has been all over the board. One guy said that May's blend was too "dank" for his tastes, noting that even on a higher ohm coil it tasted "like straight-up weed" . Another (who had been ADVing April's blend) said that he liked it even more than the previous blend. Overall I think I just need to accept that, like beer itself, not every Hop Harvest blend is going to please every hop-head's palate.

In any case, thanks for giving it a try, and please consider vaping-it-forward if you end up finding someone that does enjoy it!

The extraction process we use for these flavorings is considerably different from the extraction that occurs in a wort boil or even a dry hopping, so it's not entirely fair to consider our knowledge of hops based on how they taste in this format. I'm sorry that you feel we know nothing of hops, but please realize that the description was simply my attempt to describe the primary flavors as contributed by each extract. Alpha and beta acids both contribute to the bitterness of a hop variety, but the levels of bitterness will vary greatly dependent upon a number of factors, especially the amount and duration of heat applied to the extract and the subsequent isomerization it causes. In reality you are correct, both of those varieties contribute greatly to the citrus and bittering aspects of the blend, which is why they work well in concert.

I consider cascade a dual-purpose hop, and the particular cascade harvest we used for that blend had a higher than average (for cascade) alpha acid content of 8.4%, which did indeed cause the extract to have a deeper bitterness than cascade is typically known for. The humulene content of the cascade was also far higher than that of the citra (based on a tasting of the extract), which is what caused us to label them as the primary contributor of spice. Again, based on tasting the extracts, the citra was the primary myrcene contributor, which is why I chose to stress it as the citrus provider in my write-up. Perhaps describing the cascade as providing a "deep bitter spicyness" was an indelicate way to describe the complex flavor of the hop, but I am primarily a juice maker, not a writer. My apologies.

We're going to be re-releasing our April blend in the next month or so in a less-limited format, so I do hope you'll consider giving it a try. Given your love of cascade, and overall knowledge of hops I think you will find it a satisfying vape.

Fair enough. Not too sure how just hops would be on their own as a flavor.

Now I'm not too sure what is involved in the process of producing juice. But I've been thinking about this and had a thought. You could maybe try using some DME or LME (dry or liquid malt extract, used by brewers who aren't ready to step up to all grain brewing) to add in some malt flavor and try to produce a juice that really does taste like beer. That could be pretty interesting and a good way to try to add in some of the other flavor elements found in an IPA or pale ale.

I must also admit I am rather intrigued about the process you are using to extract the flavor and more so the battering of the hops. In brewing the alpha acids are broken down during the boil process and absorbed into the wort. Buttering hops are typically added early on in the boil process to ensure maximum alpha acid extraction while flavor and aroma hops are added in later in the boil so the alphas aren't absorbed nearly as much if at all (especially in the case of flame out additions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread