New Hops Flavor (not beer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend at the local shop thought it tasted like weed also.

That's likely due to the fact that the hop plant is related to the ......... plant. If you look at dried hops in leaf form for brewing they could be confused for weed by the average joe who doesn't know what they are looking at.

Fair enough. Not too sure how just hops would be on their own as a flavor.
They can definitely vary significantly from variety to variety. I find it extremely interesting to taste the character of these hops on their own, and have considered a line of juices that don't blend varieties at all, instead focusing on one individual hop.

I've been thinking about this and had a thought. You could maybe try using some DME or LME (dry or liquid malt extract, used by brewers who aren't ready to step up to all grain brewing) to add in some malt flavor and try to produce a juice that really does taste like beer. That could be pretty interesting and a good way to try to add in some of the other flavor elements found in an IPA or pale ale.
This is something I'm in the process of experimenting with, as we have received a handful of requests for a straight-up IPA juice since the introduction of the Hop Harvest line. The flavor profile has, so far, been difficult to pin down. Even with the malt there is a certain character missing, probably due to the absence of alcohol. We're going to keep working on it, though. Hopefully we'll have something good enough to offer in the next couple of months.

I must also admit I am rather intrigued about the process you are using to extract the flavor and more so the battering of the hops. In brewing the alpha acids are broken down during the boil process and absorbed into the wort. Buttering hops are typically added early on in the boil process to ensure maximum alpha acid extraction while flavor and aroma hops are added in later in the boil so the alphas aren't absorbed nearly as much if at all (especially in the case of flame out additions)
As I'm sure you can understand we're keeping our extraction process something of a trade secret at this point. I will say that all the extraction is done in-house using whole cone hops, and the extracts are triple-filtered before being blended. We do not purchase pre-made extracts for this juice. The breaking down of the Alpha Acids that you mention, known as isomerization, is definitely a big variable... you're absolutely spot on regarding the timing and heat. Just like brewing a beer, each blend's extraction is carried out with different temperatures and timings in order to create a unique flavor profile.

That's likely due to the fact that the hop plant is related to the ......... plant. If you look at dried hops in leaf form for brewing they could be confused for weed by the average joe who doesn't know what they are looking at.
You're absolutely right! Both plants are members of the Cannabacae Family. Some hops varieties make this family bond extremely obvious in their flavor profiles! You really know your hops!

Cheers! :party:

Last edited:
Hope there's still some bottles left in a week or two when my reimbursements from work come. I've been looking all over for "danky" flavored juices. Then to find out hop flavored juice!!?? He about something with galaxy hops?

If you'd like I can reserve a bottle (or multiple bottles) for you. Just drop me a PM if so and I'll make it happen.

Btw that is awesome you accept btc and doge. I may be in luck, I'll have to check one of my e wallets later if i have a little btc left over.

Thanks! I knew when I decided to open up shop that accepting BTW would be a priority, and the Dogecoin community won me over. When we began accepting Doge in January there were no other juice vendors in the U.S. accepting it. Both the BTC and Doge communities have been big supporters of our site!

They can definitely vary significantly from variety to variety. I find it extremely interesting to taste the character of these hops on their own, and have considered a line of juices that don't blend varieties at all, instead focusing on one individual hop.

This is something I'm in the process of experimenting with, as we have received a handful of requests for a straight-up IPA juice since the introduction of the Hop Harvest line. The flavor profile has, so far, been difficult to pin down. Even with the malt there is a certain character missing, probably due to the absence of alcohol. We're going to keep working on it, though. Hopefully we'll have something good enough to offer in the next couple of months.

As I'm sure you can understand we're keeping our extraction process something of a trade secret at this point. I will say that all the extraction is done in-house using whole cone hops, and the extracts are triple-filtered before being blended. We do not purchase pre-made extracts for this juice. The breaking down of the Alpha Acids that you mention, known as isomerization, is definitely a big variable... you're absolutely spot on regarding the timing and heat. Just like brewing a beer, each blend's extraction is carried out with different temperatures and timings in order to create a unique flavor profile.

You're absolutely right! Both plants are members of the Cannabacae Family. Some hops varieties make this family bond extremely obvious in their flavor profiles! You really know your hops!

Cheers! :party:

Been brewing beer for a good ten years now. I've been thru enough varieties and types of hops over the years in my various brews and experiments that I am pretty familiar with them. Well, at leas the varieties I have used or tried. There's around 100 plus varieties out there and new ones are introduced pretty often. Amarillo hops for instance have only been around for a few years now. You definitely have plenty of varieties out there to play around with.

And a thought for you regarding the missing piece of the flavor puzzle when trying to create a true beer flavor.. It's not so much the alcohol that's causing that missing flavor note, it's what makes the alcohol. The yeast. Yeast strains actually provide a fair bit of the flavor found in your beer as well as they type of grains and hops used. I use White Labs liquid yeasts in all my brews. They specialize in brewing yeasts and it's all cultured fresh and local here in San Diego. They offer numerous different strains each tailored to the type of beer, cider, or wine you are making as the yeast itself does offer up and produce it's own flavor component. No clue how you could try and impart yeast flavor into a juice. But something to consider if you really do want to hunt down that perfect Ruination vape. (I'm not an IPA guy myself, I've made me for my friends to enjoy, but I'm more of a dark and malty guy. I like my stouts, porters, Scottish, dark ales, etc.)

DocHo11idaze

Verified Member
May 25, 2014
Cali
Another bomb enjoy by. Worth buying.
image.jpg

havok333

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2012
Chapin, SC
Got my vapemail this afternoon, and first off great job on the packaging!

I ended up building a 2.3 ohm coil to test the May Hop Harvest. Juice smells great right from the bottle like an IPA smells. Vaped at 4.7 volts and wasn't getting a whole lot from it. Not much vapor and the flavor was kinda weak. Went up to 5.0 volts and was a tiny bit better but still too weak. Getting some piney flavor from it.

Now, I generally vape about 25 or so watts and was curious how it would do with regular setup. Loaded a 0.6 ohm RDA and now I get pine plus weed! Not too bad really. Though I wish the weed flavor was a bit less, it went well with Sam Adams Rebel IPA. My brain was expecting something bitter, but this is definitely not. It is quite earthy though on exhale. Will get some Imperial IPA this week to see how this matches up with it.

Not sure if I'd buy this one again, but can't wait to try your June batch, and April's when you re-release it.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the write-up! Getting the bitterness to come to the forefront can be difficult in the presence of VG's natural sweetness. During my experiments I was able to achieve a more bitter blend, but it was very high in PG, which is something a lot of people don't want. Maybe one of these days I'll produce a small batch of that blend, along with the commonly requested Max-VG blend.

April's re-release is coming along well, and will be ready later this week barring any unforeseen issues.

You can expect June's blend late next week!

amolson

Verified Member
Jun 9, 2014
Reno, NV, USA
Hmmm, first take on the unlimited April hops. Yeah, you can tell hops are closely related to that other herb. I'm not complaining. Not at all!

Oh yes, very, very nice. Even better, unlike a lot of juice, this one encourages me to drink.

But the short form, definitely a strong musky Herb nose/throat, with a nice bitter-citrus and grassy/pine finish. Just enough sweet from the PG to really bring out all the character. Definitely going in the 'must keep in stock' collection.

(And if you're looking for something to vape instead of smoke, it really pushes that button because of the Herb similarity.)

Thanks for the write-up amolson!

We just listed July's blend... there are only 16 bottles left. Though you fine folks might want to know!

The increasingly-hard-to-source El Dorado hop variety is the feature this time and the naturally tropical flavors of the strain definitely make themselves known in this juice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread