New Info on Vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
One day I realized I had no will to do anything. I laid in bed and thought about ending my life. That scared the heck out of me. I got off CHANTEX and never looked back.

I'm glad you realized what was happening to you and immediately got off of it. There have been others who unfortunately didn't.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
This popped up tonight in the New England Journal of Medicine which is one of the leading medical journals in the world and highly respected in pretty much all medical fields. In a nutshell, people stopped smoking twice as much with e cigs than NRT. It's the first real study to address this head on. There are some accompanying editorials that still express concern on flavorings, appeal to minors, and long term use, but it's still a big deal. Already written up in the NY Times even though it literally came out tonight.
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1808779

The NYT coverage is here E-Cigarettes Are Effective at Helping Smokers Quit, a Study Says

This is a pretty important event. It's not without caution, and it doesn't settle the flavoring issues, nicotine as a gateway drug (I think it's settled but not everyone agrees) and long term use issues, but it's a lot tougher to dispute the role it actually plays in combustible tobacco cessation which up until now lacked anything that points right at the issue.

Good info, Eskie. Proof is in the health boosts for me. 9 years of vaping after a multi-decade smoking habit has left me with clear lungs and better general health. My lungs look and feel find, better than when I used to smoke. I always got a couple of upper respiratory bugs every year during FLU season. I used to think I needed to smoke to keep my weight down. This year I lost 30 pounds just by cutting back on carbs and snacks and smaller portions on my plate. Losing weight is more mental than anything else.

BobbyV

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2011
Dallas Texas
Started smoking after enlisting in the Air Force when you could buy a carton of smokes in the BX for $1.50. After 30+ years of smoking, I wanted to stop before experiencing serious health issues. I did try Chantix but stopped after six months due to the weird dreams it produced. Tried hypnotism - no help. I quit smoking while I worked toward a Black Belt in karate - but started up again after five years being tobacco free. I couldn't overcome the behavior pattern learned over years of smoking and drinking. Started vaping in 2011, and with just a few false starts, have been tobacco-free since then. For me, the act of vaping mimics the physical and emotional behaviors of smoking but without the dangers associated with tobacco. As I vape a 1.5 mg nicotine juice, I believe my addiction is more strongly associated with the act of smoking (oral fixation) than with my body's craving for nicotine. The really surprising realization for me is that vaping has successfully erased my desire for tobacco. I experience no feelings of privation despite being in the company of smokers almost daily.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Wellbutrin is an activating antidepressant. It's really fine for some and absolutely terrible for others The first time I took it (for depression) I almost quit smoking by accident I was down to two a day and powered through, thinking, "Oh hai, it works, when I want to quit I can take it again" Unfortunately, (I was an episodic winter depression type) the quit effect was less every time (and the antidepressant effect as well.) So, if you find it working take it serious like.

I have seen WB help a lot of folks, and a lot of other folks (including my little brother) being turned into anxiety driven gibberish. It really is a genie in a bottle type drug. I sort of speculate that those of the anxious or bipolary persuasion may have a hard time with it. I did not, but I was also on mood stabilizers or whatnot.

Chantix is really the only (smoking) med I am going to demonize and even then I will say it works for some. I have yet to find a doctor willing to prescribe it FOR DECADES while I was smoking and well, they would glace at my chart and then say, "Keep smoking it's healthier for you." They all MEANT it.

While my psych history is lengthy and interesting it kind of makes me think about how many UNDAGNOSED or teens or other emotional messes are being handed it and what can happen.

I mean the FDA keeps swearing up and down it is safe, but the FDA HAS FOR SURE been saying a lot of interesting stuff lately, hasn't it? I don't view it as the most clear and open agency f all time, that's for sure. And, all my docs are happy I vape and *I* am very happy to see this study @eEskie thanks for posting it!

Anna

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Somehow just seeing this thread. I got my doctor to prescribe Wellbutrin for me because the gum, patch, and hynosis didn't help me to quit smoking.

I felt like I was stoned. I don't mind feeling like that when I want to feel like that, but not while I'm at work in surgery.

A coworker tried Chantix to quit smoking. He told me he had vivid terrible nightmares of chasing his wife and children around with a butcher knife and waking up in a cold sweat. He's still a smoker.

My ex wife is a cop and carries a loaded gun. She told me she was using Chantix to quit smoking. I thought to myself, you're the last person that should go on Chantix. :rolleyes: She's still a smoker, too.

Last edited:

RayofLight62

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2015
Kent - United Kingdom
From what I have read in UK newspapers, it seems that doctors will start recommending e-cigs if gum and patches are ineffective.
At moment, e-cigs are not a big P item, so they are simply ignored.

We all know that the proper replacement for cigs can't be patch or gums, because they have no "kick".

One thing I want to say, the published study - at the end - complain that the people transitioning to ecigs, keeps vaping after they quit tobacco, but it says it is better anyway.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
From what I have read in UK newspapers, it seems that doctors will start recommending e-cigs if gum and patches are ineffective.
At moment, e-cigs are not a big P item, so they are simply ignored.

We all know that the proper replacement for cigs can't be patch or gums, because they have no "kick".

One thing I want to say, the published study - at the end - complain that the people transitioning to ecigs, keeps vaping after they quit tobacco, but it says it is better anyway.
They also have their own issues such as limited nicotine concentration choices, very high cost, and other problems specific to the type of delivery. Skin irritation I’m the case of patches and nicotine gum tastes like refried donkey doodle.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Somehow just seeing this thread. I got my doctor to prescribe Wellbutrin for me because the gum, patch, and hynosis didn't help me to quit smoking.

I felt like I was stoned. I don't mind feeling like that when I want to feel like that, but not while I'm at work in surgery.

A coworker tried Chantix to quit smoking. He told me he had vivid terrible nightmares of chasing his wife and children around with a butcher knife and waking up in a cold sweat. He's still a smoker.

My ex wife is a cop and carries a loaded gun. She told me she was using Chantix to quit smoking. I thought to myself, you're the last person that should go on Chantix. :rolleyes: She's still a smoker, too.
welbutrin is a middling powerful anti depressant, and all the anti-depressants have wild side effects.

I personally feel that vaping is the LEAST dangerous and unpleasant smoking succession method. It’s going to take years and years to prove though. The screw of knowledge moves only so fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread