New Joyetech 20watt eGrip

Status
Not open for further replies.

matcas

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2012
Los Angeles Calif.
Has anyone found a solution for the gurgle with the RBAs? I use 50/50 juice, and I've rewicked a million different ways to Sunday but I can't seem to get rid of the gurgle. It's not bad, just slightly annoying and of course worse when I'm chain vaping.

I get a slight gurgle when it's been sitting for awhile but goes right away after I start vaping. 2 ideas maybe don't draw so hard or and turn up the wattage. I'm using 50-50 juice as well.

AmandaD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2013
So Cal
So I may have identified my problem....

First, let me say my multimeter just has pointy tips, not those little claw/clamps to hold small things with, so I tested the coil on the RBA base, reading off the screw terminals, and it read 0.9 ohm. These are the pre-made coils from cignot. SoI grabbed a new one, put it on, and it read 1.0 ohm.

I understand this won't fire below 1.2, so should I just keep trying them? Should I try the 1 ohm? Also, it came with a little bit of wire, so I could conceivably make my own, I just never have, and it's not a lot of wire to work with if you're a noob like me.

The RBA base comes with 3 coils already wicked at 1.4 ohms - have you been through all of those yet?

cracker75

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2010
Washington State
The RBA base comes with 3 coils already wicked at 1.4 ohms - have you been through all of those yet?

I used the one that came loaded, and then threw the other two in with the six I bought from cignot.....oops. And I don't have any good way to pin the little .......s down to get a reading. Maybe put electrical tape on my helping hands jaws, to hold it? And try to get a pointy lead on each end? I don't know.

AmandaD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2013
So Cal
I used the one that came loaded, and then threw the other two in with the six I bought from cignot.....oops. And I don't have any good way to pin the little .......s down to get a reading. Maybe put electrical tape on my helping hands jaws, to hold it? And try to get a pointy lead on each end? I don't know.

Ah - the 510 adaptor is a really useful little accessory :) Can you count the wraps? The originals should have one more wrap (at a guess - maybe 2)?

JuiceJug

ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2013
Canton,OH
So I may have identified my problem....

First, let me say my multimeter just has pointy tips, not those little claw/clamps to hold small things with, so I tested the coil on the RBA base, reading off the screw terminals, and it read 0.9 ohm. These are the pre-made coils from cignot. SoI grabbed a new one, put it on, and it read 1.0 ohm.

I understand this won't fire below 1.2, so should I just keep trying them? Should I try the 1 ohm? Also, it came with a little bit of wire, so I could conceivably make my own, I just never have, and it's not a lot of wire to work with if you're a noob like me.

Thats the problem I'm having with those pre-built ones. Same readings as yours

Kyi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2010
Atlanta
Is the firing button/wheel supposed to be completely... um... not wobbly? Mine always had a little rattle but I thought it was normal and it didn't really bother me since the function is fine. When I shake the mod, it does rattle quite a bit, but it doesn't seem loose enough that it'd just fall off or come apart... and I can't really think of a situation where I'd be shaking my Egrip a lot and the rattling would bother me.

AmandaD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2013
So Cal
Is the firing button/wheel supposed to be completely... um... not wobbly? Mine always had a little rattle but I thought it was normal and it didn't really bother me since the function is fine. When I shake the mod, it does rattle quite a bit, but it doesn't seem loose enough that it'd just fall off or come apart... and I can't really think of a situation where I'd be shaking my Egrip a lot and the rattling would bother me.

Mine has a teeny rattle if I shake it hard! Certainly not enough to be an issue though:unsure:

Ian444

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2013
QLD, Australia

Rutch

Verified Member
Nov 11, 2010
Finger Lakes, NY
I've been having good luck with a vertical coil in the RBA. A 3/32" bit fits perfectly into the air hole, so I wrap the coil around that and then I can keep the coil around the bit while adjusting the wires to fit inside the post holes. 8ish wraps of 28ga worked out to 1.4-1.5ohm to stay in the eGrip's comfort zone. Then I take a small piece of japanese cotton pad and separate it into thinner layers, wrapping the layers around the coil until there's enough cotton to fill the chimney of the RBA. I use a thinner 65pg/35vg juice so I try to pack the cotton in there pretty snugly, higher VG juice could probably use a bit less cotton. It is really nice that you can flip the eGrip upside down and take the RBA out without draining the tank if you need to fiddle with the wick or coil.

IMG_3158.jpg IMG_3176.jpg IMG_3191.jpg IMG_3195.jpg

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
I've been having good luck with a vertical coil in the RBA. A 3/32" bit fits perfectly into the air hole, so I wrap the coil around that and then I can keep the coil around the bit while adjusting the wires to fit inside the post holes. 8ish wraps of 28ga worked out to 1.4-1.5ohm to stay in the eGrip's comfort zone. Then I take a small piece of japanese cotton pad and separate it into thinner layers, wrapping the layers around the coil until there's enough cotton to fill the chimney of the RBA. I use a thinner 65pg/35vg juice so I try to pack the cotton in there pretty snugly, higher VG juice could probably use a bit less cotton. It is really nice that you can flip the eGrip upside down and take the RBA out without draining the tank if you need to fiddle with the wick or coil.

View attachment 401666 View attachment 401667 View attachment 401668 View attachment 401669

Nice build. Have done verts in RTAs and Protanks. Always with the same results; muted flavor. Have you noticed muted flavor with this build in the Egrip?

Rutch

Verified Member
Nov 11, 2010
Finger Lakes, NY
Nice build. Have done verts in RTAs and Protanks. Always with the same results; muted flavor. Have you noticed muted flavor with this build in the Egrip?
Doesn't seem too muted, but I've only had a pretty simple Wintergreen juice through the egrip so far. Haven't tried anything more complex yet. However the first time I tried a vertical coil on here, I had the coils touching and it was either getting too warm or the wick wasn't keeping the coil moist enough & tasted lousy. Spacing the coils out just a bit made a huge improvement.

Starting to wish I had picked up a second RBA base for experimental builds. Would be nice not to have to tear down a perfectly working coil just to experiment with new stuff, lol

irwink

CASAA Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2010
Norfolk, Virginia, USA
After 8 days I finally had to replace the coil/wick assembly on the rba. Could have just rewicked as the coil itself was good but decided to use one of the supplied coil/wick assemblies. I had rinsed the original a couple of times and the cotton wick just fell apart on the original.

The cotton wick material on the supplied replacement seems to be longer/more voluminous than the factory delivered coil/wick. Anyone found the need to trim the cotton on the replacements? It's vaping good but had to take care to tuck all the wick in before reassembling the rba.

AmandaD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2013
So Cal
After 8 days I finally had to replace the coil/wick assembly on the rba. Could have just rewicked as the coil itself was good but decided to use one of the supplied coil/wick assemblies. I had rinsed the original a couple of times and the cotton wick just fell apart on the original.

The cotton wick material on the supplied replacement seems to be longer/more voluminous than the factory delivered coil/wick. Anyone found the need to trim the cotton on the replacements? It's vaping good but had to take care to tuck all the wick in before reassembling the rba.

I noticed that. But the instructions say to pull up the wicks and put the top on, then push them back in Kayfun style. If they were shorter that would be hard to do?

irwink

CASAA Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2010
Norfolk, Virginia, USA
I noticed that. But the instructions say to pull up the wicks and put the top on, then push them back in Kayfun style. If they were shorter that would be hard to do?

Well obviously I used the replacement coil/wicks without issue other than having to exercise care tucking all the wick material in. Guess it's all good as the vape is as good as ever. Was just wondering about the experience of others. So far I love this little device!

Oh yeah, being male, I didn't bother with reading the instructions. Real men don't need such time consuming garbage!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread