The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

New mech mod recommendation for SHTF

Discussion in 'Mech Mods' started by CAAB, Jul 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. CAAB

CAAB Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 9, 2019
    New York
    I am stocked up with regulated mods for an indeterminate length of time, as there is an unanswered question of longevity. I am thinking now of 20 years out, having something that will get me another 20 or more years after that point.

I am familiar with Ohm's law, battery safety, etc... However, I have not delved into the mech mod market before. I see $10 mods and I see $400 mods.

Can you get a mech mod on Fasttech for example that will last and be safe? When I say safe, I don't mean operator error, I mean the actual components of the mod themselves. Or should I look to some other marketplace? I see some nice mods in the $200 range and they talk about having silver on the contacts and ease of disassembly for maintenance. The components look beefy.

I am looking for a single 18650 mod. Recommendations would be appreciated. Quality and longevity being important, price also important but secondary.

BTW, I am aware that my profile photo is of a mechanical mod in case anyone wants to point out the irony. However, it has a self-resetting fuse and I am not 100% sure about my ability to reverse engineer the fuse going down the road.

2. mimöschen

mimöschen Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jul 15, 2016
    If you want to play it safe, I'd go for a 21700 mech.
    The Over-Lord and Rockvape Titan clones are worth every single penny.

• Like Like x 1
  3. PeterKay

PeterKay Super Member ECF Veteran

why would a 21700 be safer than 18650? Isn't it: bigger battery= bigger bang?

4. cadman

cadman Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 1, 2009
    Oklahoma
    One thing about the 18650 mech mods, they are usually 22mm in diameter. Limits you to a 22mm RDA, the 21700 usually take a 24mm or 25mm, but the 22mm RDA will still look good on it.

If you still want a 18650 mod, you might look at a SMPL clone. Almost bullet proof.. but, it is a hybrid, so make sure your RDA has a long enough center post.

IMG_20200704_082558939.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  5. Izan

Izan Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    A few of each and some 3D printing.
    510 con.jpg
    573-1-800x800.jpg
    And the plans for the FUFDA mod. (just in case)
    Rename .txt to .7z

Cheers
    I

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  6. CAAB

Feb 9, 2019
    New York
    I am not averse to the idea of a 21700. I forgot to mention I like something straight and simple. Kind of reminds me of a cigar when it's like that.

7. CAAB

Feb 9, 2019
    New York
    That's very interesting. I am a little unclear though. Can you 3d print the whole thing or do you need to buy components and then 3d print the rest? I have never 3d printed before.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Izan

Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. mimöschen

Jul 15, 2016
    2x700s like the 30T, 40T, 2070C and P42A have a higher amp limit than most 18650s. So yes, they're a bit safer.

But I thought more about "safety" concerning future-proofness.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Ben85

Ben85 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Mar 16, 2014
    Kent, UK
    I wouldn’t necessarily say they are a bit safer, as you said they have a higher amp limit. But that’s it. A short is still a short and could cause a battery to vent. You need to know what you are doing with an 18650, exactly the same as a 21000 and the same rules apply.

OP, yes you can get perfectly safe mods cheaply. If you understand the mechanics of a mech mod, you will know that tubes are literally that - a tube with a switch. Threading really is the only thing that fails as such. Or some switch components.

Check reviews out if buying from the clone sites. Personally I avoid clones and would sooner buy a used genuine mod, but YMMV. Out of the stack of mechs I own I generally only use 2 tubes - a Nemesis and a Satburn V2.

• Like Like x 2
  11. mimöschen

Jul 15, 2016
    If you don't want to go the clone route, the Serisvape Bathala is a very nice mech mod as well.

• Like Like x 2
  12. CAAB

Feb 9, 2019
    New York
    Thank you everyone for the recommendations. I am finding difficulty bringing myself to the idea of using a mech mod. I have kind of a worst-case scenario mindset. I think I would always be wondering in the back of my head if something was wrong with the insulators on the atomizer, or something wrong with the wraps, or something stuck in the 510 pin, etc... I don't know if I'd be able to turn that part of my mind off no matter how many times I inspected things...

13. Izan

Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    A hot spring or an automotive fuse may well quell your anxiety. A simple mosfet box would also offer a bit more protection.
    I've been using a mech in one way, shape, or form almost exclusively since 2013.
    So far, so good.

Cheers
    I

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. CAAB

Feb 9, 2019
    New York
    I was thinking something similar. I was looking into the Cthulhu tube mod. I could stock up on mosfet chips.

• Like Like x 1
  15. vaper1960

vaper1960 Moved On ECF Veteran

Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    • Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. Daniel Forsyth

Daniel Forsyth Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Izan

Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    :thumbs:
    I was thinking DIY, but a COTS solution could work also.

Cheers
    I

• Like Like x 1
  18. CAAB

Feb 9, 2019
    New York
    I realize I have a gap in my knowledge and I have been unable to clarify. I am confused about current flow. Negative flows to positive. Positive post is insulated in an atomizer, but negative is not insulated from the exterior of the atomizer or mod as far as I can tell, even if the coil is not touching the bell. Maybe this is a stupid question but why is it you don't get shocked when you touch the atomizer as it is fired? Does it have to do with the current traveling the path of least resistance or some kind of faraday effect?

19. Izan

Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    Skin typically has a resistance range that begins at ~100Ω and could be as high as 500,000Ω.
    Yes, path of least resistance. :thumbs:

Cheers
    I
    ETA: Testing a 9v battery (twice plus the voltage of a single 18650) with your tongue, you feel current.
    When zapped by static electricity , we react to the heat generated by the spark as it jumps and not the amps/volts/watts.
    HTH
    I

20. CAAB

Feb 9, 2019
    New York
    I've heard of dirty threads or dirty components in a mechanical mod causing someone to become shocked, is this because it is affecting that path of least resistance? Or is there a broken faraday effect?

It seems more that the user risk is shorting the battery itself or otherwise exceeding the amp limit and the resulting venting that occurs.

Sorry if this is off topic, I just came across these questions when viewing mechanical mods and determining the theoretical knowledge behind the safety checklist.

• Useful Useful x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.