New member from New Zealand a bit overwhelmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmygk37

Jun 14, 2016
Dunedin, New Zealand
I know you've mentioned you didn't want to start DIY for your own juice, but you may have to pseudo do it your own.

Yes it may seem that it is going this way. But just another learning curve.

As far as the new equipment, luckily you have a wide selection to choose from. Being a former smoker myself as well, I know there's no %100 replacement for cigarettes when you first start. It will still take a bit of effort for most people.

Yeah and maybe I was looking for an exact replacement when I first started. Am now playing around with better devices, different ohm coils, and higher strength nicotine to try to help. And thanks for the welcome too!

Jimmygk37

Jun 14, 2016
Dunedin, New Zealand
I'm sure you will begin to venture down the DIY road very soon as most "habitual" vapers do eventually, myself included :).

Aside from tuning / dialing in your vape to get exactly what you want, I find that it also helps keep my mind off of analogs.

Yeah it looks as though I might have to DIY, and if it's as easy as everyone says it is then the juice might be the best place for me to start.
I just find that if I can't get a nice satisfying vape, or get dreaded dry hits (and not exceeding the recommended wattage), I start thinking it's not for me. I calm down and just remember why I'm doing this and that I don't want to smoke.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Some people have an easier time switching from smoking to vaping than others. Some make the switch immediately. For myself, it took a week. For others, it can take months.

The important thing to always remember is vaping is harm reduction. You might slip up and smoke a cig from time to time. Don't get down on yourself. It's not how many cigarettes that you smoke that is important, what's most important is the number of cigarettes you DIDN'T smoke that's important.

Reactions: Jimmygk37

Jimmygk37

Jun 14, 2016
Dunedin, New Zealand
To compare a pack of 5 sub ohm coils here is about $20, I can make like 15 for $0.75c. With DIY instead of paying $20 for 30ml you can make it yourself for $5 or less.

Oh you know just what to say to get at the heart of my wallet!! That sounds amazing, and if it's as easy as everyone says I might have to give it a go. Maybe juice first and then coils once I get a bit more settled.

I use my EVOD's about 6 times for every 1 time I use sub ohm... better when chain vaping IMO.

Yeah I think I've settled on mtl for the majority of my vaping, and maybe a couple of sub ohm clouds at the end just to have a nic hit.

I think the best deal out today to try rebuilding is the Kanger DripBox. For less money then a tank or RBA you get a whole kit. Another cheap introduction to rebuilding is the Kanger SubTank/TopTank Mini clone, just make sure you get the version 2 as version 1 has a gross tasting insulater. All protected non mech mods have short circuit protection so you really can't mess up and hurt yourself.

I like that last part of not being able to mess up as I'm hopeless at DIY in my house and I hated science at school. So maybe I just have to get over those fears and I'll be ok Thanks for the suggestion of the Kanger Dripbox, so would that be purely sub ohm or just how I want to build it? But yes the whole kit costs only about $10 more than my last tank.

Jimmygk37

Jun 14, 2016
Dunedin, New Zealand
Flavours I like the most are watermelon, huckleberry and my watermelon menthol blend with a ton of menthol. The menthol makes all your other flavours POP because it clears your palate as well as your sinuses lol. Problem with not doing DIY is your local vendor may be stingy on the flavour to make more profit, you could add 20-30% flavour and still be way cheaper. Without added flavour shots you may not even be tasting the flavour the way it should taste. One of my local vendors is almost tasteless without added flavour shots. Like really if you need $1+ of added flavour why not just make it that way and charge $1 more per bottle instead of selling almost tasteless juice! I find it funny when they call a juice "premium" and sell it for $20 when all it is, is .50c more flavour added or 30 seconds of adding different flavours.

I completely understand where you're coming from with this. The ones I got locally smell amazing out of the bottle but take at least 2-3ml to start tasting like anything. And even then it's ok for a couple of vapes and then it's really really muted again. And that's with changing coils as well. I've used the same PG/VG ratio from the place in the US where I've gotten my last order and another one on the way (hopefully here today or tomorrow fingers crossed!!) and they taste pretty good straight away from the first vape. I do have to play around with different watts to get the right area with different flavours, but that's just half the fun isn't it?!?
So far I've tried local tobacco flavours, dessert flavours, mint flavours, and fruit flavours. Dessert I can only do a couple of vapes with and then it's too sweet, makes me wonder how much it's ruining my coil. Mint was just way too strong. Tobacco wasn't tobacco at all. But I found 2 fruit flavours that were ok. And by ok I mean they were at least better than the others.
My previous order from the US was for fruit flavours, 2 had menthol in them which were quite nice and 1 didn't. I've really like the non-menthol fruit flavour, but am open to try anything.
Also from my local vendor I asked for a flavour to have more PG put into it to see if it gave more flavour. And in the store, in front of me, they took the top off the flavour and just randomly squirted some PG they had sitting on the counter into it. No measurement, no safety measures in place. It scared the crap out of me and I don't really want to go back!

Reactions: Eskie

Jimmygk37

Jun 14, 2016
Dunedin, New Zealand
Some people have an easier time switching from smoking to vaping than others. Some make the switch immediately. For myself, it took a week. For others, it can take months.

The important thing to always remember is vaping is harm reduction. You might slip up and smoke a cig from time to time. Don't get down on yourself. It's not how many cigarettes that you smoke that is important, what's most important is the number of cigarettes you DIDN'T smoke that's important.

Thanks for that, glad I'm not the only one to take a while. Yes it's been a long time coming while using both and slipping up quite a bit, but 10 weeks cig free this Sunday means a lot for me and my family!

Reactions: Baditude

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Also from my local vendor I asked for a flavour to have more PG put into it to see if it gave more flavour. And in the store, in front of me, they took the top off the flavour and just randomly squirted some PG they had sitting on the counter into it. No measurement, no safety measures in place. It scared the crap out of me and I don't really want to go back!

See? Told you DIY is easy :pervy:

Really, if you can mix a drink, you can handle mixing juice. Just measure twice, pour once, and if you get into lots of flavorings, write everything down, so if you hit on something you really like you'll know how to do it again.

Yeah I am in no way knowledgeably able to build/DIY unfortunately as it's still just too new for me, and the sub ohm tanks sure do like to guzzle the juice don't they! However, every now and again I do like to blow a big flavorful satisfying cloud to release the stress of the day!
If I was to go back to something like an EVOD set up, is it a backwards step from the likes of the PICO I have now? Or just complete preference? I did find that the ego I went back to just didn't seem to have the power for me anymore.

Don't overlook what is happening at sub ohms. You are vaporizing more liquid. You are inhaling it, and it is going in to your system(body) as long as you wait 5 to10 seconds to exhale. Try delaying your exhale and note that little if any vapor leaves your mouth.

The e-liquid is not being "burnt up," "consumed," or "going to waste" it can be redirected in to YOU. Just take a sec to see what is happening to all that vapor and adjust how you vape.

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
I completely understand where you're coming from with this. The ones I got locally smell amazing out of the bottle but take at least 2-3ml to start tasting like anything. And even then it's ok for a couple of vapes and then it's really really muted again. And that's with changing coils as well. I've used the same PG/VG ratio from the place in the US where I've gotten my last order and another one on the way (hopefully here today or tomorrow fingers crossed!!) and they taste pretty good straight away from the first vape. I do have to play around with different watts to get the right area with different flavours, but that's just half the fun isn't it?!?
So far I've tried local tobacco flavours, dessert flavours, mint flavours, and fruit flavours. Dessert I can only do a couple of vapes with and then it's too sweet, makes me wonder how much it's ruining my coil. Mint was just way too strong. Tobacco wasn't tobacco at all. But I found 2 fruit flavours that were ok. And by ok I mean they were at least better than the others.
My previous order from the US was for fruit flavours, 2 had menthol in them which were quite nice and 1 didn't. I've really like the non-menthol fruit flavour, but am open to try anything.
Yeah thats a good thing about having multiple tanks. Like bubble gum it will lose flavor if thats all you vape. The flavor is still there you just get used to the flavor. Better if you have say 4 tanks each with different flavours then you can use one till it loses flavor and switch or just rotate throughout the day. The Dripbox is a RDA that is fed from the bottom instead or dripping every few puffs, Sub Ohm. To give you an idea of how easy DIY is my nic is 50mg per ml and is PG based so I just buy VG and PG based flavours. To make 30/70 6mg I just need 12% nic 18% flavor and rest is VG. So 10ml is 1.2ml nic 1.8ml flavor and 7ml VG.

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
As for the vendor just adding PG to an already mixed bottle you'll lose flavor. Shocked they didn't say something but what people mean is PG holds the flavor better so if it's mixed at 50/50 it'll taste slightly better then 30/70 but to just add PG afterwards they'd be diluting the flavor. Like a 10ml bottle of 30/70 then just adding couple ml of PG afterwards to make it 50/50 is lowering the % of flavor.

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
If you want to build MTL maybe the Ego One Mega tank with a pack of 1.0 Ohm CL-R rebuild coils would be better then the SubTank Mini with RBA or DripBox. You'll also have the option to buy 0.5 ohm CL-R coils later for DTL. The EVOD/ProTank 1 is MTL only, no adjustable air flow and easy to rebuild EVOD is plastic so if you use tank cracking juices you'll want the ProTank, coils here are $6.50 for 5 and 30' of wire $10 will make 300+ coils and a $4 pack of cotton will last a year lol. Also if you don't care for menthol cinnamon will have the same affect or koolada is like a mild menthol without the mint taste. I haven't found any flavours that are amazing, just much better then tar flavored cigs lol. When I first started I found the flavours amazing but then again it was most likely because I was used to tar flavoured

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
Don't overlook what is happening at sub ohms. You are vaporizing more liquid. You are inhaling it, and it is going in to your system(body) as long as you wait 5 to10 seconds to exhale. Try delaying your exhale and note that little if any vapor leaves your mouth.

The e-liquid is not being "burnt up," "consumed," or "going to waste" it can be redirected in to YOU. Just take a sec to see what is happening to all that vapor and adjust how you vape.
If your not sub ohming for the clouds why bother with it at all? Just use higher nic on above ohm if all you want is the nicotine and you'll use way less juice to get the same result.

Jimmygk37

Jun 14, 2016
Dunedin, New Zealand
See? Told you DIY is easy :pervy:

Really, if you can mix a drink, you can handle mixing juice. Just measure twice, pour once, and if you get into lots of flavorings, write everything down, so if you hit on something you really like you'll know how to do it again.

Ha! Don't know if I'd be as flippant as they were though! And I'm a beer drinker so I take the top off and drink
Thanks for the advice, there would be nothing worse than hitting a mix that is awesome and not remembering exactly what it was!

Jimmygk37

Jun 14, 2016
Dunedin, New Zealand

I'm not saying that sub ohm isn't an option, but the vapour production (be it mtl or sub ohm) is still an important part of the whole experience for me. Thanks for the advice though.

Reactions: Tommy-Chi

Jimmygk37

Jun 14, 2016
Dunedin, New Zealand
Yeah thats a good thing about having multiple tanks. Like bubble gum it will lose flavor if thats all you vape. The flavor is still there you just get used to the flavor. Better if you have say 4 tanks each with different flavours then you can use one till it loses flavor and switch or just rotate throughout the day. The Dripbox is a RDA that is fed from the bottom instead or dripping every few puffs, Sub Ohm. To give you an idea of how easy DIY is my nic is 50mg per ml and is PG based so I just buy VG and PG based flavours. To make 30/70 6mg I just need 12% nic 18% flavor and rest is VG. So 10ml is 1.2ml nic 1.8ml flavor and 7ml VG.

Yeah I've got 3 tanks filled with different juices, and at the moment rotating between 2 of them (one mtl and one sub ohm) seems to be ok.
Thanks for that wee break down too, helps to put it in a bit of Context for me.

Jimmygk37

Jun 14, 2016
Dunedin, New Zealand
As for the vendor just adding PG to an already mixed bottle you'll lose flavor. Shocked they didn't say something but what people mean is PG holds the flavor better so if it's mixed at 50/50 it'll taste slightly better then 30/70 but to just add PG afterwards they'd be diluting the flavor. Like a 10ml bottle of 30/70 then just adding couple ml of PG afterwards to make it 50/50 is lowering the % of flavor.

Well this really makes me not want to go back!

Jimmygk37

Jun 14, 2016
Dunedin, New Zealand
If you want to build MTL maybe the Ego One Mega tank with a pack of 1.0 Ohm CL-R rebuild coils would be better then the SubTank Mini with RBA or DripBox. You'll also have the option to buy 0.5 ohm CL-R coils later for DTL. The EVOD/ProTank 1 is MTL only, no adjustable air flow and easy to rebuild EVOD is plastic so if you use tank cracking juices you'll want the ProTank, coils here are $6.50 for 5 and 30' of wire $10 will make 300+ coils and a $4 pack of cotton will last a year lol. Also if you don't care for menthol cinnamon will have the same affect or koolada is like a mild menthol without the mint taste. I haven't found any flavours that are amazing, just much better then tar flavored cigs lol. When I first started I found the flavours amazing but then again it was most likely because I was used to tar flavoured

Thanks for the info, really appreciate it.
I think I'm in the same boat that it was amazing as it tasted lovely when I first started, and now I'm caught chasing that again. However, trial and error and I may just stumble across something. And of course the whole DIY juice aspect.

Jimmygk37

Jun 14, 2016
Dunedin, New Zealand
Hi all, sorry I've been slack (spending more time with my young family and not getting puffed as no smoking) and not on here. Just wanted to say a huge thank you to you all for your help and advice and taking the time out of your own busy lives to help me out. Still trying to iron out a few kinks but as of today I'm 16 weeks smoke free!! Stoked, and once again thank you all so much! Cheers.

RoseJ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2016
Florida
Congratulations, Jimmy! I'm at just over 6 months, and wouldn't be there without vaping and ECF.

I actually read through this entire thread, and I just wanted to support what others have said about DIY. I was very nervous and confused about it when I started, but after the first time, I had to wonder why. It is really easy, and the money you save is incredible. I got a lot of help and advice from people here too, before I started.

Also, regarding coil building. I definitely did not want to get into that, but with the current uncertainty here in the US, my husband decided to give it a shot. He researched it here on ECF and YouTube, got what he needed (cost was minimal), and now he builds awesome coils for us both.

You might not be ready yet for DIY or coil building, but don't discount it. It's awesome to be so self-sufficient, and save so much money.

Keep up the good work with quitting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread