New owner (WOW WOW), but need some cartos for TH suggestions. Did I say WOW ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sessiondrummer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jan 22, 2011
    USA
    O.K. no more WOWS for a bit, needless to say very impressed with my new Provari V2. Got the kit with the charger, standard batteries, and a SmokeTech DCT tank w./ the standard 3 ohm, 3 hole punched carto. After having used my trusty Ego with jumbo batts and LR attys finally had to step it up. I've made a few posts here and there on ECF but never on the Provari area (duhh). Having spent years growing to love the true flavor, TH and vapor of dripping, not sure which way to go with cartos. I know ohms law inside out, but am unclear on really what the best carto setup would be for my V2, which would give me excellent TH above all else, with flavor a close second. I'm doing A/B comparisons between my Ego w./ LR atty dripping vs. the Provari site's DCT Tank with 3 ohm carto, including many new voltages (blow away by this unit, and how much better it is to have real batteries, and VV). I'm very new at cartos and have flooded a few, dumped some tanks, so no expert here at all. What I've noticed is that even with the V2 @ 5v. with it's 3 ohm carto, it has a little less flavor and less TH than my Ego w./ LR atty dripping.

I'm sure IF (once) I get this whole carto/tank thing figured out, I will get numerous tanks, probably Phiniacs with some SS caps, but am nervous about placing a big order, or using big tanks until I can stop wasting juice (i.e. tank dumping, carto flooding, failed refilling, etc.). I had previously bought a small J-Tank which (messy learning curve) had Boge 3.0 cartos in it, but I had a very hard time getting the carto to go through the caps, wasted tons of juice while trying to fill, re-fill, and flooded numerous cartos.

I keep seeing the pinnacle of success hovering around a simple single coil Boge cart with some sort of tank. I know there are DC fans, lower res fans, etc., but any thoughts on why I'm loosing out on a good portion of TH when compared to a simple EGO dripping ?? Not sure if I feel like slotting cartos or not, and the smoketechs are pre cut (not punched) which is nice, but there always seems to be a solid Boge following. I realize the tank really doesn't do much except hold the juice, and I know the V2 has mucho power so that leaves me looking back at the cartos. I think I may know why I've flooded so many and maybe someone could chime in on that if they think I am correct. On NEW fills I would drop a few drops on the top of the carto, pull the top cap, fill up the tank, put top cap on, which would force juice into the carto, and when using this method on RE-filling it seemed to flood every time. Am trying to do RE-fills by sliding carto down, juicing tank, sliding carto back up to eliminate the bigger pressuring of juice into the carto.

Not sure if I have it figured out yet, and had considered tossing all cartos/tanks out of frustruation, and lost juice, but I'm not ready to give up just yet. Have some of my fav juices handy and will be doing some more A/B right now.

Sorry for the long post, but ECF has proved to be a solid group of not only people, but vaping people, with lots of help for people having issues. Any thoughts on a solid TH via a carto setup would be appreciated, as well as any carto, ohms help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• provari.jpg
      provari.jpg
      19.5 KB · Views: 141

SpringzVz

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 3, 2012
    Colorado Springz, CO
    Truth is all the experiences drippers have with trying tanks, mods and cartos they mostly comment on the dissappointment of not being able to match the drip and TH from it:( Any drippers out there want to weigh in?

To add my closest experience with TH comp to dripping on a hv system was using DCHV cartos just like i would set up on my ego... Keep the voltage around 4v and keep it wet. The tank didnt matter much except to wet easier. I have never used a tank that could match dripping including the egoc atty tank setup. And the VIVO and Vision 2's dont even keep up with DCHV cartos out there...

I'd be eager to try a new combo as well in a tank and carto system that can outproduce vapor and TH from dripping:)

Last edited:

dDubs

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 14, 2012
    Buffalo, NY
    I started dripping a couple months ago, and before that used dual coil cartos & boge LRs. Dripping has ruined cartos for me, you will probably never find a carto/tank combo that will match dripping. The tank doesn't matter at all, it just keeps the carto fed with juice (unless its a glass tank to keep the juice from cracking or leeching tastes from polycarbonate or plastic tanks). I liked boge LRs, but now that I just got a ProVari Mini (on saturday), I would use SR cartos so that you can crank up the voltage. Also, if your running dual coil cartos, you will run them at a much higher voltage than single coils to take advantage of the dual coils.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    TH is essential for me - without it, I'd be smoking again. I tried a bunch of different tank, carto & resistance combinations (including some highly regarded ones) and ended up stepping backwards to a carto I'd be using with a LT, pre-ProVari. It was good but not great with the LT, so I didn't have too much expectation going back to it. That was one month ago and I've haven't used anything else since. Now I obviously can't say it would be the same for someone else, but I'm pretty confident that I've found my-own-personal Perfect Vape.

It's an ePower 6ml 1.7ohm cart (with a 510 to Ego adapter) and I run it at 4.2 volts. It kicks booty.

I wondered why it was so different on the ProVari than it was on the LT, until I did the math and realized it was topping out amperage on the earlier version L-Rider/LT that I have. No so on the ProVari. I would also expect it would perform well on the newer, higher amp limit, LT's - or on VMax, Buzz, Darwin, etc..

But again, this is just one person talking and, as we all know so well, each must find their own. Perfection, that is. :vapor:

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    TH is essential for me - without it, I'd be smoking again. I tried a bunch of different tank, carto & resistance combinations (including some highly regarded ones) and ended up stepping backwards to a carto I'd be using with a LT, pre-ProVari. It was good but not great with the LT, so I didn't have too much expectation going back to it. That was one month ago and I've haven't used anything else since. Now I obviously can't say it would be the same for someone else, but I'm pretty confident that I've found my-own-personal Perfect Vape.

It's an ePower 6ml 1.7ohm cart (with a 510 to Ego adapter) and I run it at 4.2 volts. It kicks booty.

I wondered why it was so different on the ProVari than it was on the LT, until I did the math and realized it was topping out amperage on the earlier version L-Rider/LT that I have. No so on the ProVari. I would also expect it would perform well on the newer, higher amp limit, LT's - or on VMax, Buzz, Darwin, etc..

But again, this is just one person talking and, as we all know so well, each must find their own. Perfection, that is. :vapor:

Oh! The downside. It looks really phallic, and I do get comments. I do not care.

ProVari_Both.jpg

dDubs

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 14, 2012
    Buffalo, NY
    Sorry, didn't read the rest of your post! When you refill the tank, slide the carto down until there is a small gap between the top of the carto and the top cap. Turn it like 45 degrees to the side and put the tip of your juice bottle against the inner edge of the tank cap. When you squeeze the bottle, the juice will run along the outside edge of the tank. Or you could use a syringe, doing it the same way but just stick the needle in the gap and fill 'er up. I always filled my cartos like I was going to vape them alone before putting them in the tank. Hope this helps.

sessiondrummer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jan 22, 2011
    USA
    I had issues with filling tanks until I got a Phiniac tank and the tank filler tool. The tank filler tool made a big difference for me - much quicker and easier to insert the carto and fill the tank.

Thanks alot for the realistic replies guys. Water, what cartos are you using, what resistance, and voltage ?

sessiondrummer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jan 22, 2011
    USA
    Wow, I don't know if hot dropping vendors links is allowed, but, wow, easy on the o-rings, easy on the filling for n00bs like me, and you can fill to the tippity top of the tank it appears. I see this kit comes with a v2 carto punch as well ?? Too bad they're sold out of all the metal caps, or I'd place an order right now.

sessiondrummer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jan 22, 2011
    USA
    Thanks meeems and vespa. At the risk of turning this into an endless thread (lol), when I view the pictures on the Phiniac site for the carto sizing they only seem to show two sizes, regular, and the XL V2. I see a standard carto will fit nicely in the regular size, and assume I would need to get XL cartos to fit the XL V2 size. I see many references to "fusion" cartos, what exactly are those ?

sessiondrummer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jan 22, 2011
    USA
    I've noticed something curious with the (Smoketech ??) included cartos (maybe all cartos, don't know) regarding the TH. After vaping for awhile while the tank is still very full, the top of the carto appears dry (but it is soaked via the 3 holes, no burning/dry hits at all), but the TH seems to decrease. Topped off the carto (even though the tank was still 2/3'rds full), blew out the air hole, vaped a bit and the TH increased a lot. I don't know cartos so maybe these are obvious answers but the heating element is at the bottom of the carto ?? If so it's curious that there seems/ed to be a link between the top of the carto drying out, and the TH. Hmmm, my juice (Copper Creek House Blend) is 50/50 mix, has a light color to it, but not thick so I can't say it's a wicking issue, .......... or can I ??

Wonder if a hole or two up near the top of the carto would cause GOOD or BAD things................ If I only had a carto punch.......

meeems

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Hi snooks,

I havent found that problem, but then i haven't looked for it. I've not noticed anything out of the ordinary, i've been doing the same tanks for 6 months, same ohms, with the smoktech, i tried a higher ohm, but didnt like it, and went back to the 1.5's. I hope someone else can answer your question about holes at the top of the carto.

Do you use a syringe? I use a syringe and fill on one side til its slush, then the other side til the remainder is slush. I've not just filled out of a bottle, i'm wondering if thats what your doing?

I've noticed something curious with the (Smoketech ??) included cartos (maybe all cartos, don't know) regarding the TH. After vaping for awhile while the tank is still very full, the top of the carto appears dry (but it is soaked via the 3 holes, no burning/dry hits at all), but the TH seems to decrease. Topped off the carto (even though the tank was still 2/3'rds full), blew out the air hole, vaped a bit and the TH increased a lot. I don't know cartos so maybe these are obvious answers but the heating element is at the bottom of the carto ?? If so it's curious that there seems/ed to be a link between the top of the carto drying out, and the TH. Hmmm, my juice (Copper Creek House Blend) is 50/50 mix, has a light color to it, but not thick so I can't say it's a wicking issue, .......... or can I ??

Wonder if a hole or two up near the top of the carto would cause GOOD or BAD things................ If I only had a carto punch.......

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread