Status
Not open for further replies.

littlewing6283

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2013
So Cal
Hello,

Just wanted to post my thoughts and experiences. I'll post an update when I get more familiar with the mod. I'll photo'd with different rba's as in my research I couldnt find as many photos as I wanted to pre purchase.

Order Process:
This was excellent. Ordered a regular Legacy + extension cap. I had a kick already. Order came fast, recvd it yesterday order was placed I believe Wednesday. It came nicely packaged with invoices, spare parts and instructions. Even got a sample, Fire and Ice might I add this was suprisingly good. I didnt think I would dig the cinnamon menthol flavor.

Fit and Finish:
Everyone was raving about the build quality and constructions. I like the stainless steel construction. I also am enthused about being able to completely dissasemble it and reassemble it. The blasted finish is ok. Fits well in my hand. A short coming in my opinion is minor things but here we go

- Device came to be dirty. I wasnt expecting it to be immaculate but there were grease marks (maybe machining oil) on the satin finish.
- the threads. This part was a let down for me. Maybe I got a bad one. Everyone has said the threads are buttery smooth and no issues. When I first went to put it together crunch, crunch, crunch. Everything, top cap, extension, switch. Nothing a little cleaning and Noalox could not address but I guess I was let down because of my expectations. My GGTS clone which is notorious for nasty threads were on par with the crunchiness I got. It works and there are no issues, but like I said I guess I expected a little more QC.
- Construction appears to be rock solid and when put together its a tought little device

Performance:
This is where the rubber meets the road. I plan to use this when i'm out and about at work. I need 100 percent function all the time. Mind you I am still familiarizing myself with the device. Initial setup was easy and trouble free. Appears to work flawlessly with a Kick. Here are some issues i'm having, any veterans feel free to assist me and let me know where i'm screwing up.

-my biggest issue is inconsistent firing. The batteries I am using are AW IMR 18650 ad Panasonic CGR18650CH w/ a kick. It would fire sometimes and then not work. at time I would have to press the switch for ahwile. I've had to take it apart and reassemble for it to fire. Not sure what is causing this. I have 3 spacers and a lock washer at the switch.

- Switch is actually a nice design. Doesnt fire while standing up. Only issue I have is it tends to lock itself (spin upwards) during vaping. This is likely my error but those are my observations.

Final thoughts. Frankly i'm a bit disappointed. The inconsistent firing is driving me off the wall. Maybe its the ground in the kick disconnecting ? Maybe im doing it wrong with all the happy users who have posted here. I'll keep using it for a couple days but I dare not leave home with it on it's own considering the issues i'm having with it. Maybe I was the only one that it came dirty too with crunchy threads. It's a great device thats USA made and looks solid but I need to get this figured out.

Heres some photos.

Boge Carto

Octopus RDA

IGO-L

AGI Dripper Mode (Genny mode in this RBA is not that great IMO)

Terminator C

Phx, I think this is a clone.

Killer 705 w/ IBtanked 22mm blue anodized caps

entropy1049

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Apalachicola, FL, United States
If you have a Dremel tool with the soft buffing wheel and jewelers rouge you can polish the threads.

Have you tried some different washer configurations with your switch? Try that, and also try it without the kick. If the firing improves without the kick I'd consider the kick to be the weak link.

G'Luck!

littlewing6283

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2013
So Cal
If you have a Dremel tool with the soft buffing wheel and jewelers rouge you can polish the threads.

Have you tried some different washer configurations with your switch? Try that, and also try it without the kick. If the firing improves without the kick I'd consider the kick to be the weak link.

G'Luck!

I got the threads cleaned up and buffed. I was merely implying slight dissappointent because I have read peoples came in perfect with buttery smooth thread. Maybe mine was the one that fell through the QC cracks.

Ive tried it in different configs. 2 washers, 1 washers, 3 washers with lock ring. so far 3 washers and 1 lock rings seem to be the most consistent. Still need to get it to 100 percent before I go out w/o another mod.

Also tried no kick, 18650 only. 18490 with a kick. Still had issues. A bit frustrated but im making progress. Kick is properly grounded and it does work.

young gotti

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2012
PA
i can only comment a bit....but i ordered my g/f a mini and her's was smooth when we got it, i gave her some aw and efest 18350 batteries and they both worked right out of the box without any washers, i actually like her button being smoother than mine

i bought mine used so i can't comment on how it was brand new but i never had a button issue but i also use aw batteries and i found my favorite set up to be one washer/one locking washer/another washer....in that exact order, i don't know why but that seems to be the good spot for me, hit is solid and button fires pretty easily...keep in mind though i think i have the old spring with the delrin top and my g/f's does not, her button push is longer but it's very soft to the touch

entropy1049

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
I got the threads cleaned up and buffed. I was merely implying slight dissappointent because I have read peoples came in perfect with buttery smooth thread. Maybe mine was the one that fell through the QC cracks.

Ive tried it in different configs. 2 washers, 1 washers, 3 washers with lock ring. so far 3 washers and 1 lock rings seem to be the most consistent. Still need to get it to 100 percent before I go out w/o another mod.

Also tried no kick, 18650 only. 18490 with a kick. Still had issues. A bit frustrated but im making progress. Kick is properly grounded and it does work.

This is mysterious. The beauty of a mech is it's simplicity, so we should be able to trouble-shoot this darn thing. It's about got to be a contact issue, and that can only occur in a couple of places. Does it missfire with all of your atties? Have you tried backing the positive contact screw out a bit? Check voltages from positive post of the adapter to ground and also from positive post of atty when attached and ground and note any differences. Make sure batts are charged to atleast 3.6 VDC. Also check for a resistance change across the adapter beyond much of what it is through your leads. Much above 0.2 ohms could indicate some minimal shorting at the adapter. Just trying to cover bases here...
This mod is so elegantly simple, that when something like this happens, it tends to make one a little bonkers. Makes me that way anyway...

Mine is set up for a 650 and I have the three flat washers that came with the kit on the lower neg contact. 100% firing.

Last edited:

littlewing6283

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2013
So Cal
This is mysterious. The beauty of a mech is it's simplicity, so we should be able to trouble-shoot this darn thing. It's about got to be a contact issue, and that can only occur in a couple of places. Does it missfire with all of your atties? Have you tried backing the positive contact screw out a bit? Check voltages from positive post of the adapter to ground and also from positive post of atty when attached and ground and note any differences. Make sure batts are charged to atleast 3.6 VDC. Also check for a resistance change across the adapter beyond much of what it is through your leads. Much above 0.2 ohms could indicate some minimal shorting at the adapter. Just trying to cover bases here...
This mod is so elegantly simple, that when something like this happens, it tends to make one a little bonkers. Makes me that way anyway...

Mine is set up for a 650 and I have the three flat washers that came with the kit on the lower neg contact. 100% firing.

making you bonkers its making me bonkers LOL

ive made a lot of progress.

misfires with some atties so backed out the center pin a bit to fire on all the atties

I think the issue is the battery. like you said once it drop below 3.6 starts acting weird with a kick,. ie I have to hold the switch extra long

seems like it starts to get real inconsistent as voltage drops. I thought the kick was only supposed to sputter at 3.2v ?

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
hey littlewing,

Happy to hear it got there safe and sound.

Couple things you can try.

1) I assume it likely not the RBA or Carto, but you can try adding the super small brass washer to the adapter to see if you are dealer with shorter than average center posts on the RBA/Carto.

2) Add a small bit of NOALOX (or other dielectric grease) to the top and bottom posts of the kick itself. Just smear it on the top and bottom.

Give those couple things a shot and report back :)

littlewing6283

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2013
So Cal
hey littlewing,

1) I assume it likely not the RBA or Carto, but you can try adding the super small brass washer to the adapter to see if you are dealer with shorter than average center posts on the RBA/Carto.

2) Add a small bit of NOALOX (or other dielectric grease) to the top and bottom posts of the kick itself. Just smear it on the top and bottom.

will do thx, i'll keep you guys posted

littlewing6283

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2013
So Cal
hey littlewing,

Hey Cash do you know of any known issues with the Kick ?

I find everything is fine till I hit around 3.7 volts then it becomes intermittent.

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
Hey Cash do you know of any known issues with the Kick ?

I find everything is fine till I hit around 3.7 volts then it becomes intermittent.

Hey littlewing ... The only known issue that I'm aware of is how strong a ground the KICK needs. To accomplish this, dielectric grease is added to the hex shaft of the switch, and top/bottom contact points on the KICK itself :)

littlewing6283

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2013
So Cal
Hey littlewing ... The only known issue that I'm aware of is how strong a ground the KICK needs. To accomplish this, dielectric grease is added to the hex shaft of the switch, and top/bottom contact points on the KICK itself :)

NOALOX to the hext shaft helped a lot. Working better underload. Damn this grease is messy.

So update is w/o the kick bullet proof. I'm getting about .3 - .4 underload.

With the Kick still trying to figure it out. Sometimes I need to depress the switch a little more firm. Specially when I get down to 3.7. Might try adding another washer. TBH the Kick is not worth all this work LOL. I'll just keep using the Provari

entropy1049

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Hits like Tommy Hearns with a Kayfun... photo.jpg photo (2).jpg

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
NOALOX to the hext shaft helped a lot. Working better underload. Damn this grease is messy.

So update is w/o the kick bullet proof. I'm getting about .3 - .4 underload.

With the Kick still trying to figure it out. Sometimes I need to depress the switch a little more firm. Specially when I get down to 3.7. Might try adding another washer. TBH the Kick is not worth all this work LOL. I'll just keep using the Provari

Haha ... Noalox is indeed greasy :) LOL ... Keep up the good work, and if you think of a work around, please don't hesitate to share!

Hits like Tommy Hearns with a Kayfun... View attachment 214781 View attachment 214782

Looking REAL good entropy!

Covert

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2012
Long Beach, California
I have had mine for about 4 or 5 months, and I bought it second hand after it had already been second hand. The body was beat up but it still fired great. I only use it with RBA's so it has yet to miss a single beat as far as misfiring with minimal upkeep. Today a friend completely disassembled,refinished, and heat treated it. I feel like I have a totally new device, and what used to be my "go anywhere,beat to a pulp and know it will still fire mod" might become a house only mod... Looks like it is time to buy a new one and retire the old girl from hard use. As for quality I truly believe with enough care everything on this mod will last a lifetime. Can't say enough good things about my Legacy. Thanks Puresmoker : )
apudatyq.jpg

Covert

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2012
Long Beach, California
Thanks CaSHMeRe :D I'll have my wife take some pics with her good camera sooner than later. That pic does not do the coloring of the case hardening justice at all. Yeah after thinking about it I can always take it over to him to do over if I beat it up too much ;) I do need to get a flat top for it next too :D

littlewing6283

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2013
So Cal
Thanks CaSHMeRe :D I'll have my wife take some pics with her good camera sooner than later. That pic does not do the coloring of the case hardening justice at all. Yeah after thinking about it I can always take it over to him to do over if I beat it up too much ;) I do need to get a flat top for it next too :D

that looks awesome man. My wife actually uses the legacy now. she tried it one day and never gave it back. her excuse was I have other mods.

who did the heat treating for you ? he local ? im in 909

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread