"New" Smoktech tank atomizers? Wow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobocracy

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
Minneapolis
I don't know how "new" these are (VaporKings lists them as new in October, 2013), but I picked up a couple to try on a lark as part of my never-ending quest to make something, anything vape Johnson Creek Red Oak Tennessee cured in a no-fuss manner.

I had tried a "regular" carto tank (cheapie, with Boge laser-drilled cartos) and was mostly unimpressed. All the fuss of carto priming but the little holes wouldn't feed the dark, sweek RO-TC well.

I saw these carto tank atomizers and thought what the hell and OH MY GOD they are good and EASY. Fill the tank and then a drop or two into the atomizer (which is the size of a regular carto) and go. Amazing flavor. Clouds of vapor. And at least so far, good feed and no leaking.

I haven't had them long enough to sort out how long they will last, but with no filler material and no wick they seem like won't suffer as badly from the gunking and clogging I get with EVOD clearo atomizer heads or the fairly short life of cartomizer filler. And at $3.50 a pop I'd be thrilled with a week, but I suspect I might get longer.

mobocracy

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
Minneapolis
Well, my enthusiasm is tempered a little bit.

After running about maybe 7 ml of Johnson Creek Red Oak Tennessee Cured through one of these flavor got a little off and vapor production dropped, too, although the flavor shift happened faster than the loss of vapor production. I finally replaced it when the flavor was just too off, although it was still producing vapor.

When I did, I took a look at a new one and noticed that while there's no cartomizer filler, there is a wick that extends from the mesh lining walls that is wrapped around the atomizer coils. When I examined the used one, the wick resembled a well used Kanger EVOD atomizer head -- nearly totally black, so they do wear. I chain vaped this thing pretty hard, which may have contributed to this.

I think I'll keep using them because at least for the first tank full, the flavor is really good and a lot of vapor volume with near zero effort. It really wasn't until the very end where the flavor shift bothered me enough to change it out.

mobocracy

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
Minneapolis
Smoktech replacement DCT atomizer - 1.5 Ohm

These. I don't recognize the names you use but this is the product I'm talking about.

It's basically a cartomizer body without any filler material. It has three laser-drilled holes and the inside has some kind of wire mesh surrounding a pair of wick-wrapped atomizer coils. The mesh keeps the inside from getting flooded and allows the wicks to draw from the tank.

VaporKings web site calls it a new product as of October 2013, I don't know if that means new to them or new generally.

mobocracy

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
Minneapolis
Hoosier Ecig and SmokTek has had them since early this year, I tried them and was seriously unimpressed, they had little to no vapor or flavor.

Wow, totally the opposite of my experience. At least through the first 3.5ml (tank size I was using) they had more flavor and vapor volume than anything else I've ever used.

It worked orders of magnitude better than the same tank with a boge laser-drilled cartomizer. Those had almost no flavor and wouldn't wick juice from the tank hardly at all.

Sirius

Star Puppy
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
North Carolina
I only use these:

ego-cc-kit-4.jpg

Talk about EASY..great flavor and vapor too.
Cost around $15 each..Easy to clean too since they have ceramic atomizer bases. A little soaking in hot water and you're good
to go!

Joyetech eGo-CC Clearomizer Tank

mobocracy

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
Minneapolis
I only use these:

Cost around $15 each..Easy to clean too since they have ceramic atomizer bases. A little soaking in hot water and you're good
to go!

Now that looks interesting, something else to try. And I JUST placed an order for more gear, too, I would have thrown one of those in just for something else to try.

Do you vape any dark/sweet liquids with it and how much life do you get out of the heads? I am totally addicted to Johnson Creek Red Oak Tennessee cured and one of the things that drives me nuts is finding something I can vape the hell out of without trashing atomizer heads/wicks/cartomizers. My land speed record is less than 24 hours with EVOD atomizer heads (wicks totally black and not wicking). A few 510 cartos I have tried have been blah, which is why I was digging this Smoktech carto-atomizer (or whatever you want to call it) so much, because I got a fair amount of juice through it before the wicks inside gave up. I'm even filling 808 cartos with it because they work surprisingly well and I like the stealthiness at work of a little auto battery even though it's not major league vapor volume. Smoktech Mega XL cartos have worked well once I got a syringe to fill them with.

Sirius

Star Puppy
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
North Carolina
Now that looks interesting, something else to try. And I JUST placed an order for more gear, too, I would have thrown one of those in just for something else to try.

Do you vape any dark/sweet liquids with it and how much life do you get out of the heads? I am totally addicted to Johnson Creek Red Oak Tennessee cured and one of the things that drives me nuts is finding something I can vape the hell out of without trashing atomizer heads/wicks/cartomizers. My land speed record is less than 24 hours with EVOD atomizer heads (wicks totally black and not wicking). A few 510 cartos I have tried have been blah, which is why I was digging this Smoktech carto-atomizer (or whatever you want to call it) so much, because I got a fair amount of juice through it before the wicks inside gave up. I'm even filling 808 cartos with it because they work surprisingly well and I like the stealthiness at work of a little auto battery even though it's not major league vapor volume. Smoktech Mega XL cartos have worked well once I got a syringe to fill them with.
Well I haven't wore one out yet..I keep them clean though..After 4 days of vaping I soak them in a hot bath for an hour,
then let them dry off on paper towels for a couple of hours..I use to use those Smoktech dual coil cartomizers but they get to
tasting burned after a couple of days and you can't clean those out without a lot of hassle..I never could get them to vape right after giving them a soak..That's why I started using these Clearomizer tanks..So easy to keep clean and so hard to wear out..lol

vjdossey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2013
Antioch, CA
I love the idea of this. Can you explain ot a little? Says changeable atomizer? Whats the cost of tge atomizer? Is the unit heavy? I really wanna try these. What kind of battery/mod do you use? Would they work on a mvp?
I only use these:

ego-cc-kit-4.jpg

to go!

mobocracy

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
Minneapolis
I love the idea of this. Can you explain ot a little? Says changeable atomizer? Whats the cost of tge atomizer? Is the unit heavy? I really wanna try these. What kind of battery/mod do you use? Would they work on a mvp?

The atomizer heads seem slightly expensive relative to other replacement atomizers in other devices; the price at VaporKings (which I've found to be neither the cheapest nor most expensive, but I like for the variety and fast order fulfillment) is $21.95 for a five pack. That works out to a little more than four and half dollars each. Supposed to work on on any eGo-style battery.

Here's a link for reference:

Joye eGo-CC tank atomizer - Genuine Joyetech!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread