New Study with Negative Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
As part of an ongoing longitudinal study of the effects of e-cigarettes on adolescents, adolescent (aged 13–18 years) e-cigarette users (used an e-cigarette product on ≥1 day in the past 30 days and had at least 10 lifetime use episodes) were recruited from the San Francisco Bay area by using fliers and online advertising...
Participants received $30

Three hundred eighty-six adolescents were screened, 229 were found to be eligible, and 180 agreed to participate.
The final sample consisted of 67 e-cigarette–only users, 16 dual users, and 20 controls.

main type of e-cigarette used in 4 categories (vape pen, modified, juul, other)

FINANCIAL DISCLOSURE:/POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST

"Dr Benowitz is a consultant to several pharmaceutical companies that market medications to aid smoking cessation and has served as a paid expert witness in litigation against tobacco companies. Drs Ramo and Rubinstein have consulted for Carrot Inc, which makes a tobacco cessation device; and Dr Delucchi has indicated he has no financial relationships relevant to this article to disclose.

TLDR: Think of the children!

Cheers
I

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I'm pretty sure I seen this on the news last night . What I heard was they had found cancer causing compounds in the vapors tested who vaped fruity flavors. they said those compounds were the same compounds found in cigarettes , so there is a potential for cancer down the road. So it seemed super negative, but then they said although they found those chemical, they were lower then in tobacco. So why couldn't it have been a positive news story? They could of easily said , studies have definitely proven that ecigarettes contain XXX less toxins then tobacco (they never said how much less)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
In other news, studies have detected an increase in cholesterol in the blood of steakhouse patrons, increased glucose in candy eaters and caffeine in Starbucksians.

The unanswered question: are the increased levels so harmful that urgent action is required?

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
In other news, studies have detected an increase in cholesterol in the blood of steakhouse patrons, increased glucose in candy eaters and caffeine in Starbucksians.

The unanswered question: are the increased levels so harmful that urgent action is required?
Exactly

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I actually don't think testing adolescent vapers is really ethical, personally. For one, it's pretty clear what this study "wanted" to prove (increased risk for adolescents since it's getting really hard to state that former smokers do NOT benefit from vaping.

But, studying effects on a growing body is, well, it's riddled with problems and if those folks wanted to "save the children" their research would have been better spent in initiating a study on how to help never smoker teen vapers HALT vaping, only that is no the motivation here. They wanted a FAR wider "scared audience" for their findings.

So no, I don't care for the study or its results, but I'm not awake enough to get into the nitty gritty of it.

Anna

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Huh

Urine NNAL
  • E cig only 0.3
  • Dual use. 68.1
  • None 0
Pg/mg creatinine
Urine Acrolein
  • E cig only 254
  • Dual use 439
  • None. 192
Ng/mg creatinine

Urine Benzene (Actually one of the more worrisome things)
  • E cig only 0
  • Dual use. 0.2
  • None. 0
I'm not exactly struck by the severity here.

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
Huh

Urine NNAL
  • E cig only 0.3
  • Dual use. 68.1
  • None 0
Pg/mg creatinine
Urine Acrolein
  • E cig only 254
  • Dual use 439
  • None. 192
Ng/mg creatinine

Urine Benzene (Actually one of the more worrisome things)
  • E cig only 0
  • Dual use. 0.2
  • None. 0
I'm not exactly struck by the severity here.

Agreed, just more propaganda from Pharma and BT to squash something that helps smokers quit and that they can't control.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Thanks to all that cleared things up, knew I could rely on you lot! :)

Right, I'm getting back to the DIY with the odd break for a vape now and then...
I can only speak for myself , but I have only one thing that I can see as fact and it's what my body tells me. Yes, perhaps 20 years down the road I may get something negative from vaping, but so far in the 7 years since I quit smoking, I can say it's been truly a miracle how my health has changed. Physically, every bad ailment I had from smoking over 30 years has disappeared, I honestly feel awesome and healthy again and that's a fact

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread