The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

New to all this...my initial thoughts

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by Ru42, Aug 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Ru42

Ru42 Super Member ECF Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    Southern Calif
    I was going to post in the 7/11 thread but I am restricted to this forum for now.

I never knew anything about e-cigs until a few weeks ago when I saw the display at 7/11 here in San Diego. I am not a big smoker, I occasionally like one but hate the smell etc. So, after several trips to 7/11 and repeatedly seeing the display, last Friday I took the plunge and bought the starter kit.

I have to say, I quite like these things. There are many obvious benefits besides the small factor. But I like that I can be indoors and take an occasional pull and not pollute the air with smoke.

I tried an analog cig Monday and the one I smoked gave me a head spin. I could definitely tell the difference. After this analog pack is gone I do not see myself buying another one.

I browsed through the forums and the which is best debate. Let me share my thoughts from a person who just discovered these things.

The initial battery charge lasted me well into Sunday. Again, mind you I am not constantly puffing on the thing - occasional ones here and there. But I was surprised that it was lasting so long. It charged up nicely and still going.

The taste is a little different but that is probably because of the less carcinogens that I am not taking in. I do like it though. My initial cartridge also lasted into Sunday. I have no idea of the puff count but I am sure it was well over the 100 mark. I take manufacture claims with a grain of salt but so far I thing this was does pretty well compared to its claims.

I bought a flavored kit yesterday (lemon-mint/watermelon) but have not had the chance to test it out. A little disappointed that there is no nic in the flavor ones. I will have to see if that is a bad thing. But I can't test them yet because I am still with the new cartridge.

I assume taking a cartridge off before it is done is a bad thing - drying out. I wish there was a way to be able to change cartridges anytime I wanted. Maybe someone here is able to point out something to this newbie.

My guess is that sometime in the future I might 'upgrade' to somethign else where I can get more flavor varieties. Again I was disappointed that I had to buy 2 flavors at once and none of the combos were 100% appealing. There are other flavors out there that I would like to try. I saw some YouTube videos that explained how I could pull a spent cartridge out, clean it up, and then drop in my own flavors. Anyone have comments; is this a bad thing to do?

Anyway, a longer post then I was thinking it would be. I just wanted to share that 7/11 is doing a good thing making the public aware of this much better option.

Oh, one more question, are there stores where I can buy the flavors and/or other e-cigs? I know I see a lot of online options, I was just wondering if there was a brick and mortar option.

Thanks for reading.

RU

2. DC2

DC2 Tootie Puffer Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 21, 2009
    San Diego
    I'm not SURE if you have cartridges or cartomizers, but either way, they should come with a little cap, and if you want to change flavors just put the little cap back on and that should keep it from drying out.

Actually, that is what pretty much all of us do.
    Nothing but good can come of it.
    :)

Not so much.

I'm in San Diego, and I don't know anywhere that sells any GOOD electronic cigarettes.
    But there are MANY places around here that sell Vapure liquid.

Check out their website: http://www.getvapure.com/

EDIT: I am NOT recommending that you buy their electronic cigarette
    EDIT: I don't know what kind it is, but the prices are WAY too high

3. Ru42

Ru42 Super Member ECF Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    Southern Calif
    Thanks for the reply:

Unfortunately, no cap came with the product. I guess I could create something that would do the job. My question is what about the other end (mouth piece). I guess I never thought about that end. Obviously there is a hole we suck through; how does that constant opening not cause dry-outs? A one way vent or something? Curious. Again, so new I am not sure. I guess the first time I pull one apart I will find out.

Thanks for the YouTube answer, just checking.

Many thanks for the vapure link; exactly what I was looking for. Anotehr question: how are the 'flavors'? What is good and what would you say steer away from. Of course taste is subjective, just looking for anyone's thoughts/opinions.

4. DC2

DC2 Tootie Puffer Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 21, 2009
    San Diego
    Do you have cartridges, or cartomizers?

Might as well ask what someone's favorite food is.
    :)

And besides that, every flavor from every maker is going to be different.
    I usually love RY4, but right now I got some from someone else.
    And it tastes like they've got some ginger in there.
    Not liking it so much.

Best thing to do is get some samplers.
    If you search for "samplers" in thread titles you should find a few threads.

But you still have to remember one vendor's Bananas Foster is not another vendor's Bananas Foster.
    But samplers will at least help you figure out what you might like.

Then you have to find out who you like to get it from.
    :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.