New to DIY

Status
Not open for further replies.

GccTxs67

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2015
Virginia
Been watching a lot of videos and reading a lot about DIY and feel I am ready to take the plunge. I just put in an order with Wizard Labs and I guess I just want some one to actually look at my order and make sure I didn't forget anything and to make sure I'm on the right track. You can read and watch all you want but sometime you need an opinion from people "in the know".

I ordered:
500 ML 100 MG/ML Nicotine, 100% VG, I will separate this into 10, 50 ml bottles and freeze 9. Since I am a 3 nic I understand it is only .9 ml of Nic for 30 ml's, so 50 ml's should get me roughly 50 - 55, 30 ml bottles.

500 ML of both PG/VG.
Assorted size bottles (about 20 all told).
Syringes in assorted sized, 3, 1 ml, 5, 3 ml, 5, 5 ML, 5, 10 ml.
I have gloves and goggles. Have juice Me Up, Bookmarked recipe pages online...etc.

I did not order flavoring yet because I am still determining which company's flavors I want to use, I am leaning toward TFA or CAP, it seems all the recipes I see call for one or the other. I will create my own recipes I'm sure, but until I get a good feel for it I will probably use the recipes posted online.

My question though....How different are flavor profiles for the same flavor from different companies?

This looks really fun, I am very detailed and meticulous and a very good cook with an exceptional pallet (so my wife says anyway...lol)

Liskrig

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2015
MA, USA
Go with Bull City Vapor for the flavors. They come in bottles that make it VERY easy to drip them into the mix. I also recommend mixing with a scale, as you can drop all the ingredients in a bottle, and you're done! No cleaning syringes, or lab glass.

For first time (I'm also new to this) you may want to go with 100% PG for the nicotine base as it will be easier to work with even if frozen (please thaw it). I got 100% VG and while I'm making it work, it will be the last time I go with a 100% VG base.

Don't hang up on a specific brand of flavoring, most of the best recipes use flavors from multiple vendors.

Here are some links :)

Ultrasonic Cleaner for speed-steeping

Scale for measurements by weight (get the 500g model. Needs to read down to .01g)

Bull City Vapor (My go-to for any and all flavors, and additives)

Reactions: Yiana

RonJS

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2014
SW Chicagoland, IL
My question though....How different are flavor profiles for the same flavor from different companies?

There can be a very large difference. For instance, a fruit flavor could be described as candy like from one company and fresh picked from another.

Ron

Reactions: Yiana

sketchness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA
I would say that very few flavors are the same from vendor to vendor. Be it actual flavor or strength. Tfa and cap are solid choices and easy to work with. It is a lot of fun and experimenting is fun. You will likely mix some stuff that is dreadfull so be prepared. To get an idea of popular quality offerings go to bull city vapor sort by brand and then by best sellers. This is a pretty good rough estimate of flavor offerings that others are having success with.

Reactions: Rickb119

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I just want some one to actually look at my order
500 ML 100 MG/ML Nicotine, 100% VG,
Suggest no more than 120ml max. or less, until you decide you like the quality.Extremely important.

Assorted size bottles (about 20 all told).
1 doz 3ml or 5ml. for test sample sizes (plastic dripper type).
8ea or so of 60ml or 90ml. glass boston type bottles for storage of ADV mixes.

Syringes in assorted sized, 3, 1 ml, 5, 3 ml, 5, 5 ML, 5, 10 ml.
2 doz.: 1ml and 18ga blunt needles min.

How different are flavor profiles for the same flavor from different companies?
Enough that you will be kicking yourself for assuming that one or two blenders can supply all the flavors you will need.
These are the truths for me:
I buy for the recipe, not because a flavor sounds good or someone says it's great.
I try to buy the best flavor I feel I can afford in the smallest quantity until I know I'm going to be ordering in larger containers.
I found it took me more than a year just to get my head around DIY and I'm learning everyday.

I started out with syringes and still use them (3 ml. mix samples are bit tricky by weight).

Yiana

Ultra Member
Nov 20, 2015
Planet Earth
Bullcity is the best place for flavors. They have good prices, and fast shipping. I agree with Liskrig on the bottles they come in from there. Always get the smaller size flavors to make sure you like the flavor before going big. Also, as Brother Bob said buy for the recipes especially when you get started. You'll have something good to vape while figuring out your own. I use both tfa and capella, and a couple of flavor west. It is hard to just use one company for all flavors. Starting off I don't think you need 18 syringes, but ymmv.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com

You sound like you did your research and are ready for this.

As far as flavor profiles the difference between manufactures can vari wildly. Take cherry for instance one can taste like fresh cherries picked right off the tree while another can taste like cherry hard candy while yet another can taste like cough syrup. Or take banana one can taste like a fresh banana while another can taste like a banana cream pie while another can taste like runts candy. So you need to sample a few manufactures and decide which is right for you. Mix each flavor and sample individually and don't guess what each flavor will taste like when added to another flavor. You need to know what each individual flavor taste like on it's own before you can start to combine them. I find inawera and hangsen the best for beginners as there easy to get right the first time and taste as realistic to the expected flavor then any other brand. They can be found at bullcity as well.

Last edited:

GccTxs67

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2015
Virginia
Bit the bullet and completed the order, all told I had like 90 something items in my cart, was a little surprised it was only $130.00....

I did a lot of research on recipes and ordered all the flavorings I needed for my top 2 juices and my wife's top 2...., really excited to get started.

Decided to get all my flavorings from Wizard Labs, their 8 mls are on sale for 1.59, ordering 2 was cheaper then ordering one 15 ml for 3.59 from other vendors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread