New to E Cigarettes, Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

killheart

Nov 30, 2012
california
I have been thinking about getting an e cigarette for a long time now, but there are just so many out there I dont know what to get. I dont know whats good and whats not good especially when price is a factor I dont want to buy an expensive model and have it go out on me.

I tend to like the look and feel of the kinds that have tanks that the e-liquid stays in. but still dont know the difference between cartomizers or clearomizers. I have been researching this stuff for hours and I am still pretty confused.

So I was wondering if anyone here has any suggestion on what I should get.

RoseB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2012
Washington
I have been thinking about getting an e cigarette for a long time now, but there are just so many out there I dont know what to get. I dont know whats good and whats not good especially when price is a factor I dont want to buy an expensive model and have it go out on me.

I tend to like the look and feel of the kinds that have tanks that the e-liquid stays in. but still dont know the difference between cartomizers or clearomizers. I have been researching this stuff for hours and I am still pretty confused.

So I was wondering if anyone here has any suggestion on what I should get.

There is a lot of stuff out there! I just switched to an eGo style with a tank. It is like being new all over again but in a good way. When you were looking did you see a specific brand or type that appealed to you?

MrKV

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2012
Japan to NoVA
I would suggest an Ego Twist.

Cartomizers use a filler material with a coil inside and Clearomizers are basically a tank with silica wicks running down it and coil at the top.

images.jpg
Cartomizer

CE4_808D_Long_Wick_800__95282.1347304760.1280.1280.jpg
Clearomizer

lostgypsy

Aug 31, 2012
California
I feel your pain. It is like getting Ph.D trying to find out everything you should know about getting your device. I felt exactly the same. It was so confusing and frustrating! However, if I knew as much as I know now thanks to ECF, I would definitely get eGo twist with Stardust clearomizers or that new one bottom coil clearomizer. I have tried tanks, cartomizers and even dual coil carts, but for me personally clearomizers are most convenient and better performing. I have to see how much liquid I got! And I would go with Apollo or Altsmoke, but for e-liquids with ECBlend. Just my 2 cents.

DizGrizz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2012
Near Austin, TX
Make sure you get the V2 rebuildable Stardust as they are cheaper to own in the long run...and don't pay more than $4.99 for them. HoosierECig has them for that price and others may be even cheaper (just be sure they are real Vision Stardusts if that's what you want). X3 on the eGo Twist...great smaller-sized device with variable voltage...pretty sweet. Beware of knockoffs on the Twist!

killheart

Nov 30, 2012
california
Hmm yeah I've been looking at eGo but I havent come across the twist yet, I was looking at the Joyetech website. Now can I buy that in a starter kit?

Also I was wondering if stuff that is known for use of "wax" and "essential oils" like a gpen or an atmos basically the same thing? The gpen seems to be a clearomizer with wicks (I think). So would I be able to technically put e-liquid in something like the gpen?

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Everyone here has their favorites. Read the threads and look at the user reviews before you spend a lot of money on an ecig. The basic features are a choice between fixed voltage (usually 3.7v) or variable voltage (you can tailor the vape to suit your taste). The higher the MAH (milliampere hour) rating, the longer you can vape on a a charge. New vapers usually think they want a cigarette sized ecig. They soon tire of constant battery charging and realize that a bigger battery is better than a slim ecig. Everyone knows it's not a cigarette anyway, so a slim look alike doesn't fool people.

The eGo Twist is probably a good low priced variable voltage option. With VV, a good starting point for cartomizer and atomizer coils is 2.8 to 3 ohms. That puts you in the mid range of voltage for a VV ecig.

Past that, the options are as described above, cartomizer or tank. Then, there are cartomizer tanks and silica wick tanks. Yes, it's a fairly complicated world, but the more you read here on ECF, the less you will spend on inferior hardware and the more economical vaping will be for you.

Last edited:

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    No, the Gpen won't work with e-liquids. There is a tab at the top of this page- Suppliers. Go to one and pick a starter kit. If you wish, come back and let us review your choices so that you get everything you need to start.

Egos are good to start- eliquid, usually 18-24mg nic to start, you may vape up to 30ml. a week. Cartomisers, clearomisers, and attys you'll use many of to vape. Good to get a 5 pack of each.

Last edited:

tickerpop

May 30, 2011
    Closet
    I have the Ego VV battery and I absolutely love it. Granted, the first one I ordered was bad. The power button would stick and it would stay on after I vaped, and in turn that would burn up the coil on my carto. But they sent me out a new one and 4 replacement coils for my CE5, and I have been using it successfully ever since. I use it at 4.0v and it works great. Nice throat hit on a long drag, and it doesn't taste burnt. I am big on the throat hit that is why I decided to go with the VV battery, and it does seem to work. Along with a strong nicotine level and a VV battery, I was able to quit smoking analogs altogether.

White Rabbit

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Welcome killheart,

Don't jump in and buy anything until you spend at least a couple of hours reading, and understand "clearly" what options are available. Also if you seem to like a certain brand of e-cig, search for problems with that particular item in the search box and see what others have experienced. Second, realize that depending on how much you smoked (if you ever did) and the price of cigarettes in your area that getting into using a personal vaporizor is not necessarily cheaper. Most start out with a kit (I started with Smokless Image Volts which I still use) and received everything I needed to start. The smaller e-cigs will not last all day unless you just puff once in awhile. The larger sealed units using 650 mAh, 900 mAh, and 1300 mAh batteries will last a lot longer. An Ego Twist is very popular, but you still need either cartomizers to hold your liquid, or clearomizers (actually a small tank), or an actual larger tank (there are various brands and types) and a battery charger. Realize up front that you will most likely spend $100 to $200 to get a "complete" setup including several devices, a charger, cartomizers and or tanks. Ultimately everyone would like a ProVari and if you are really into the hobby, a Caravella. Best of Luck.

Last edited:

killheart

Nov 30, 2012
    california
    AltSmoke.com | Personal Vaporizers | Electronic Cigarette | Ecigs | AltSmoke.com | eGo-C Twist Battery

AltSmoke.com | Personal Vaporizers | Electronic Cigarette | Ecigs | T2 Clearomizer - 2.4ml, Changeable Coil/Atomizer Head

How bout that? Will those be the only 2 parts I need? Also what kind of charger would I need for that?

EDIT: I have just been anxious to get one to help ween me off cigarettes, since Ive been on half a pack a day for awhile now I think im starting to smoke even more. So I seem to be rushing it but still trying to make an informed decision when purchasing.

Also I have lung problems and its been getting worse lately.

Last edited:

DrApex

ECF Veteran
    Nov 23, 2012
    Raleigh NC
    I started with an EGo T tank based kit and loved it. Later, when I started to read these message boards, watch youtube videos and get in to vaping as a hobby, in used the same EGo batteries with clearomizers, DCTs and whatever else I wanted.

The E Go batteries will take a wide variety of parts and pieces, so it's ok to start with an EGo kit just to see you you like vaping.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I dont know if I want to start off with a kit, I might just buy the parts seperately. But how were the parts I already linked? Any good? I think itll be cheaper if I bought them seperately just to try rather than buy a kit then switch out the parts later on.[/QUOTE

Good choices. you may need a syringe to fill the clearomisers, and a 420Mah Ego charger or two for the batteries.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    AltSmoke.com | Personal Vaporizers | Electronic Cigarette | Ecigs | eGo Series - USB Battery Charger

no specs on the battery but will this one work?

also cant find any syringes on altsmoke.

and if im on half a pack+ a day what would u suggest as a nicotine strength?

Yes, thats the charger you'll need. And yes, it's hard to find everything at one website. I'd go no more than 18mg, maybe 16-12. 70/30 PG/Vg is a popular mixture.

Good to get that Multimeter also. If you don't have one already.

killheart

Nov 30, 2012
    california
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread