New to e-cigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerriB

Feb 25, 2017
Hi, I'm TerriB. Started smoking about 21 years ago and really enjoy it. However, it is impacting my health and at 53 years old it is finally time to quit tobacco if I can. My doctor, who I have known for years, recommended that I use e-cigs to try and start cutting down on the quantity that I smoke. I smoke Swisher Sweet, sweet cherry packs. I bought a "Blu" starter kit last month but it is like drawing in air. No vapor, little taste and no tobacco taste at all. Really don't like. I stumbled on this forum while checking out websites for other manufacturers. It has helped a lot already because I know almost nothing about the equipment, refills, quality manufacturers, etc. Thanks to everybody for their post.

gandymarsh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
WI, USA
Welcome to ECF!

I also smoked Swishers. Started those after a long time quit of cigs.

At the very least, an Evod stater kit might do it for you but I would suggest getting something more powerful with Variable Wattage/Variable voltage.

The Eleaf iStick line are popular and versatile. Their GS Air tanks are good and inexpensive.

Check out Rockymountainvapor.com. They have a coupon code turkey for 30% off and free first class shipping on orders over $14.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Welcome.
A Blu starter kit is at the lowest point of the ladder and it's impressive you came out the other side still actually believing in vaping. :)
I give away basic 'proper vaping' products to people stuck in the maze of Blu and other nonsense brands.
Strange how an eGo AIO or Innokin T18 can be 5 times better and 3 times cheaper than all these tobacco company vanity products.
Blu (UK) actually supported the EU ban on most of the product we use and enjoy. That says all we need to know really.

Just Me

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2010
Welcome TerriB, and good luck in your journey. I know you will discover something suitable eventually. You will find that flavors will never mimic the flavor of cigarette/cigar smoke, since by nature they aren't the same thing. But there are some flavors more "ashy" than others. If you have a local brick and mortar store that allows flavor testing, try out the tobacco flavors.

We need more doctors like yours!

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016
Many of us started with "junk" and went in to discover our preferences in equipment and juices. You've begun your journey.

The advice I'd offer is to find something you like reasonably well, get used to it and learn to like it, get some backup just in case, and then think again about quitting the stinkie's. By that time you will be prepared to do so and will not likely find it all that hard to do. I was 47 years smoking, 6 months dual use, and now 12 months just vaping. It feels really good to just vape.

Reactions: Eskie

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
Welcome @TerriB I am the same age as you, but smoked a lot longer than you have (not that that matters here). You have certainly come to the right place as everyone here is very helpful and kind (at least from my experience). Anything you need to know about ecigs can be found somewhere on the forums, and if not then ask away. I started with Blu myself, but quickly found better stuff available after a little research.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Hi, I'm TerriB. Started smoking about 21 years ago and really enjoy it. However, it is impacting my health and at 53 years old it is finally time to quit tobacco if I can. My doctor, who I have known for years, recommended that I use e-cigs to try and start cutting down on the quantity that I smoke. I smoke Swisher Sweet, sweet cherry packs. I bought a "Blu" starter kit last month but it is like drawing in air. No vapor, little taste and no tobacco taste at all. Really don't like. I stumbled on this forum while checking out websites for other manufacturers. It has helped a lot already because I know almost nothing about the equipment, refills, quality manufacturers, etc. Thanks to everybody for their post.
Don't waste time with Blu, Mark Ten, etc

First off you need a Mod. I HIGHLY recommend istick Pico.

Then get two attys. Make sure the attys are different colors.

You want ejuice in two different strengths.

Most people after vaping for a few weeks hit a plateau where e Juice doesnt satisfy tge cravings. When there are times you eoukd KILL to have a cigarette. Switch atomizers to tge higher nicotine and kill tge craving then go back to the regular strength ejuice.

Go to a vape shop and see if they allow you to taste juices, and find some good flavors you like.

You came to the right place to stop smoking.

I smoked 38 years. I found vaping 4 years ago, abd in tge last 45 months i have only smoked two cigarettes.

I DIY my ejuice i started lowering MU nicotine 1 mg/ml about every 6-8 weeks.

12/28/2015 i went totally nicotine free but i still vape. I don't want to get stressed abd have an excuse to bum a smoke.

Don't go Sub Ohm. Most of those make big clouds with a LOT of airflow.

Find a good Mouth to Lung Atomizer

The Nautilus Mini is a good Mouth to Lung Atty with good flavor.

Just Me

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2010
As Two_Bears mentioned, I second the Nautilus Mini. I would still be using them if it weren't for the fact that I learned to build my own coils out of fear from FDA deeming, and I resent paying for coils now.

Nautilus Mini is a great little tank. No o-rings to lose, good MTL draw with adjustable airflow, very minimal leaking (I think it only leaked a bit lying on its side overnight if I remember correctly).

I use a Kayfun Mini V3 now. Leaks a bit from the airflow holes, but the flavor and vapor production are good enough for me. I'm still using the same coil I built last July, although I do change the wick often. Pennies.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I started a brother of mine on a nautilus mini and iStick 20 vaping at 8-10 watts. He was a dual user for10 months and finally stopped smoking. To thiis day, two years later, he won't part with his original equipment. I started the same way on the same devices and stopped smoking after 6 weeks. We both used higher nic as in 12-18 mg because in the beginning you can't tolerate too much vaping. Pushing 2 and a half years i'm vaping 5 ml's a day at 10 mg nic. Start with low power devices and give yourself time to learn the in's and out's. If it's hard to find a flavor you like it's probablly because the pre mixes have too much flavoring. I make my own and use 1% flavoring. If the goal is to get off cigs best to avoid the vape fashion treadmill until you've left cigs far behind.

If you keep vaping you'll stop smoking sooner or later, may be right away.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
Congrats!! My doctor was kind of a fence sitter back then. But evidence is coming around despite BP and BT campaigns. Other countries are a step ahead. We just have corporations corrupting.

Anyway, a Nautilus or Nautilus Mini will let you use drop in coils for ease. Vaping is a huge world and re-building and DIY e-juice, among many other avenues make for a great hobby. I hope you embrace and accept that it is not just like opening a pack and popping one in your mouth and lighting it.

But, the health benefits will become noticeable. My dentist even noticed my gums were healthier from the last visit.

I think many here, and myself, are grateful for it. The nic is not the issue, so don't worry about that. Just getting all the bad chemicals out of the picture is a blessing.

Happy journey!

RosaJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2012
The Woodlands, TX, USA
After a long absence from the ECF, your post was the first I clicked on. First of all, welcome to your new lifestyle, you won't regret it.

I smoked for more than 45 years and my kids asked me to give vaping a try and they would cover the expense for the first few months. I agreed, and 2 weeks after I started vaping I realized one day I had not smoked my allotted daily cigarette for 2 days without even thinking I needed it. I sat down and cried tears of joy of finally being free!

Each person has a different experience. I haven't smoked in 6 years now and have not missed it at all. I didn't have to force myself to vape, there was no will power involved in my case (remember I had been smoking for a lifetime).

I was spending $66 a week for a carton of cigarettes. I would go through it in one week. Now, I don't spend more than $100 a month and sometimes even less or nothing at all if I have enough coils and ejuice left. I do make sure that I have plenty of those on hand. Get yourself a simple set up such as an ego battery kit and simple atomizers. Make sure you have two batteries, not necessarily 2 kits, as you will need to have one recharging at all times so you don't run out of battery use. I've found Discount Vapers to have excellent customer service and a good stock of quality gear. They have atomizers that go for $1.99 if you buy two. They take the Kanger coils for the Evods and a package runs about $8 for a 5 coil blister pack.

I personally buy my ejuice from Vape Wild and their prices are very reasonable. They also send you the order free of shipping if you spend more than $25 or 30, and will include a couple of 10 ml bottles of sample ejuice for you to pay forward or try out.

Your constant expense will come in keeping coils and the ejuice. Don't buy every "shiny thingy" you read about and you will be saving buckets full of money, trust me.

Once you've learned a few more things about dry hits, plastic tanks vs glass tanks, the difference between the different mah's, and more, then you'll be ready for an upgrade.

Start with a high nicotine content (I started with 18mg) but also get a lower bottle of ejuice in case it's too much. After 6 years I'm down to 1.5mg nicotine, and am not sure I'll go down to 0mg because of the research on dementia and alzheimers proving that it's beneficial to staving it. (I'm 68 years old now).

Good luck to you on your vaping journey and feel free to ask questions.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I've found Discount Vapers to have excellent customer service and a good stock of quality gear. They have atomizers that go for $1.99 if you buy two. They take the Kanger coils for the Evods and a package runs about $8 for a 5 coil blister pack.

I remember Discount Vapers from a long time ago when I first became active on ECF.
They were genuinely discount. Sadly, some of their prices these days are really not good.
Some are actually unreasonably priced now. Shame.

Reactions: RosaJ

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Welcome, TerriB. I wish you the best of luck in switching to vaping. You should find it much easier when you upgrade your equipment to whatever appeals to you. You've received a lot of good advice, and I'll add my 2 cents.

Mod - The two options are internal battery or replaceable battery. I started with internal batteries which are a little more straightforward to manage, but I regretted it within a few weeks and now have several replaceable battery mods.
  • Internal batteries - you don't need a charger, just a good wall wart. You'll need an extra mod or two so you have something to use while the other is charging. The downside is that the ports don't tend to last very long, and once the port or the battery dies the whole mod is done. Eleaf makes some decent mods in this category:
    • iStick 40W - nice and small, but the battery doesn't last too long
    • iStick Power - a bit bigger and heavier, slightly more expensive, battery (in my experience) lasts 3 or more times as long as the 40W
  • Replaceable batteries - you have to buy batteries and a charger, but the mods last a lot longer. It's also easier to carry a spare battery (always keep it in a case!) than a spare mod. There's a battery and charger forum here, and the resident battery expert, Mooch, has a chart of recommended batteries and reliable vendors. Always get brand-name batteries from a reliable vendor - counterfeits and rewraps are dangerous. There are plenty of good mods. If you want to start with something simple and reliable that doesn't break the bank but has full features try:
    • Eleaf Pico (single battery)
    • Joyetech eVic VTwo Mini (single battery)
    • Joyetech eVic VTC Dual (option of using it with one or two batteries)
  • Tanks - Switching from smoking, you'll probably want to start with an MTL setup.
    • Nautilus, Nautilus Mini, Triton Mini, Nautilus 2 - They're the standards, and they can all use the same coils. The Nautilus is the biggest and has the highest capacity if you don't want to be refilling a lot. The others are all 2 ml tanks. The Triton Mini and presumably the Nautilus 2 are easier to fill because they're top fill so you don't have to take them off the mod to fill them.
    • Nautilus X - This is a recent tank. It's top fill and has a 2ml and a 4ml version. It uses different coils than the tanks listed above.
I'd better stop here 'cause I think that was a lot more than 2 cents. In any case, good luck with whatever you choose!

SnapDragon NY

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2017
Hi and welcome- glad you signed on! I already see you have gotten some great advice! Do some research and watch You Tube sometimes easier to watch demonstrations on gear you are interested in!
I started with the Mistic Bridge and then moved up to the Joyetech eCabs and used them for many months! I quit a 30+ year cigarette addiction with these and much will power! The eleaf istick 30w with the Nautilis mini are great too!
Now I am using great gear and loving the asMODus minikin v1.5 with the OBS Engine mini, the Freemax Starre Pure and Tobeco tanks! The asMODus minikin V2 and the Ohmsmium are very small great devices too, all of these need external 18650 batteries and a charger!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread