New to Mech Mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbaltrun

Jul 11, 2014
gulfport,ms
Hello everybody! My name is Chris. i am not that netw to vaping but am new to mech mods. before now all ive used were two different 30w devices and realized something strange... i became tired of the regulated mods and began to yearn for something different. i didnt know what i was looking for until i went and bought a SMPL clone and since then have not gone back to my 30w devices. Is this a common thing in the vaping community?

MoDmAnDaN

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2013
Spanaway, Wa.
This is exactly opposite of what I've seen trending. Of course, trends are just that...trends. I have always firmly believed that what ever works best for you, is the perfect solution. There is absolutely nothing wrong with mech mods at all and if built right, give amazing vapes!! In fact, cloud competitions are using almost nothing but mechs.

I started on mechs myself, cause there was very little available in the way of regulated mods back then. I have since, switched to regulated, but still use mechs from time to time.

Reactions: Baditude

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
It's sort of becoming common. Noticing a lot of people going back to mech mods, part of me thinks it has something to do with the impending FDA regulation.

For me, though, I used mech mods in the beginning because there were no devices capable of firing <1 ohm. Now most regulated mods are capable of firing sub-ohm, and at higher voltages than a mech mod was capable of. (ps: I'm not a super-sub-ohmer, I just like my coils at .6 ohms/6V).

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
If your mechanical mod has no 510 center pin at the top, be extremely careful what juice delivery attachment you use. This configuration has direct battery contact with the juice attachment connector. I personally believe this is a poor design and can be dangerous in inexperienced hands.

Mechanical-mod-smpl-mod-clone-wholesaler-copper-black-white-smpl-mod.jpg

^ No 510 center pin

:danger: Many of the mechanical mod explosions have been of this configuration and shorted the battery into thermal runaway.

Product Warnings

mechanical-mod-explosion-florida.jpg

Keep in mind that batterys are designed to vent from their top, so the expansion of hot gas during thermal runaway will accumulate in the top of a mechanical mod. Most mechs have their vent holes in the bottom, which may prevent the gas from easily escaping. This is therefore a sealed metal tube with the gas having nowhere to go, causing the tube to explode like a pipe bomb.

I primarily use a mechanical mod myself. However, my mod uses a "hot spring" designed to melt should the battery become hot, thereby breaking the connection to the atomizer. It also uses a fire button designed to vent hot gas from the top of the mod. It also has an insulated 510 center pin. This is a safer design for a mechanical mod. AltSmoke Silver Bullet

Last edited:

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
Jun 9, 2015
Texas
I started with mechs too, but have found I prefer regulated mods. You just can't get enough power out of a single battery to fire complex builds. I still use my mechs for tootle puffing and building attys and for simpler builds with small gauge wire. I hope you did your homework on safety with that mod. Hybrids in the hands of folks that don't know how to use them are the biggest reason for the horror stories you see on the news.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Hello everybody! My name is Chris. i am not that netw to vaping but am new to mech mods. before now all ive used were two different 30w devices and realized something strange... i became tired of the regulated mods and began to yearn for something different. i didnt know what i was looking for until i went and bought a SMPL clone and since then have not gone back to my 30w devices. Is this a common thing in the vaping community?

Not many people go that route, but I have seen it before. I've also seen people go from high power back to low and from mods back to eGo style devices. I vape both mechanical and regulated mods pretty much every day and enjoy both. It is also IMO a bennefit to be comfortable with mech mods in case the vapocalypse ever hits :)

In the end whatever works for you is the right way to go for you. Vape on and enjoy :thumb:

Reactions: anavidfan

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I have some mechs (Sigelei, Nemesis, GG) and they don't see so much action.

Long-term, I tend to veer towards what is easiest and less work. Even taking a battery out of my mod and charging it seems 'bother' compared to usb charging an iStick or two over breakfast every day. If I have time, it goes on the atomizer ( building' a dripper, RTA, Kayfun) rather than the power to run it.

What makes you happy is the right course of action. :)

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago

sounds wierd.
like it's an ad

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
+1 to @Baditude I love my mechs and I use them all the time. But I don't care for the faux hybrids like the SMPL. It's too easy to blow one up. Most people-- well, maybe not most, let's say many-- like to switch up gear from time to time. I use both regulated and mech mods. I use a regulated with a tank in the car or when I am moving, and a mech with a dripper at home. Nothing unusual about that. Mechs, however, are becoming a niche market. They're a lot harder to use than a regulated and you're pretty well forced to build your own coils.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread