New to mechanical mods, need advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Docsgt68

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Buffalo, NY
I can say honestly, building on the mvp isn't a bad way to start, the variable watt feature will help compensate if you didn't build quite where you wanted to. And the built in ohm reader is reasonably accurate in my experience anyway. On a mech if you build a coil and don't like how it vapes, it's for the most part trash and you have to start over.

Skeebo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 31, 2014
At the beginning of this thread I mentioned the Veritas. I was interested in only building a single coil like the one in the picture below: (courtesy of forum member Jerms)

e4upeza8.jpg

Would it be possible to do something like this with the MVP? If so, what gauge kanthal should I start this journey with. I've watched some guy on youtube do it as well but with a Mech mod. While that guy's gyrations and antics make me nervous, I feel pretty confident I could build it, especially if I wear glasses lol.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Would it be possible to do something like this with the MVP? If so, what gauge kanthal should I start this journey with.

Sure. Your coil resistance will need to be above 1.2 ohm for the MVP to fire it.

I recommend 7 wraps of 30 gauge Kanthal around a 2.0 mm drill bit or screwdriver to make a 1.5 ohm single coil.

You should learn to use an online coil calculator like this one: Toy Coil Calculator
After you plug in all the specifications from the drop down menus, a simulation of what the coil will look like appears in the window.

Skeebo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 31, 2014
Sure. Your coil resistance will need to be above 1.2 ohm for the MVP to fire it.

I recommend 7 wraps of 30 gauge Kanthal around a 2.0 mm drill bit or screwdriver to make a 1.5 ohm single coil.

You should learn to use an online coil calculator like this one: Toy Coil Calculator
After you plug in all the scecifications from the drop down menus, a simulation of what the coil will look like appears in the window.

Yep, I've been studying your blog like a mad man... that calculator along with the ohms law calculator is safely stored in my bookmarks now. Your blogs have been extremely helpful in all this. I have to thank you for taking the time to do something like that.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
Checking it out.. another question though. When the mod calls for a 18500 battery, is the 18490 able to be used? I was only wondering because I'm checking Baditude's blog with the place to buy batteries link.

I don't know if this question was properly addressed, so I'll take a shot.

Battery numbers break down like this:

The first 2 digits are the battery diameter, so an 18650 is 18mm in diameter. Same with 18500, 18490, 18350.

The second 2 digits are the battery length, so an 18650 is 65mm long, 18500 is 50mm, 18490 is 49mm long, 18350 is 35mm long.

Can't remember what the last digit means (zero in all of the above) but it is irrelevant to my point. You can see in the information above that the only difference between an 18500 and 18490 is one (1) mm in length, and either should work in a mod designed for 18500. You should either have a spring in the mod or, more commonly in mechanical mods, some sort of adjustable pin to fine tune for battery length. Either will easily accommodate the 1mm variance between a 18500 and 18490 battery.

In fact ruling out the 18490 size would eliminate using one of the finest, safest batteries available: the AW battery.

The short answer is: Yes, you can use 18490 batteries in a mod that says it accepts 18500 batteries.

If I've made a glaring omission here, or have erred in some way which may cause a safety issue I'm hoping someone will step in and correct me, but this is my understanding.

jaxgator

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jacksonville, FL

The first 2 digits are the battery diameter, so an 18650 is 18mm in diameter. Same with 18500, 18490, 18350.

The second 2 digits are the battery length, so an 18650 is 65mm long, 18500 is 50mm, 18490 is 49mm long, 18350 is 35mm long.

Can't remember what the last digit means (zero in all of the above) but it is irrelevant to my point. You can see in the information above that the only difference between an 18500 and 18490 is one (1) mm in length, and either should work in a mod designed for 18500. You should either have a spring in the mod or, more commonly in mechanical mods, some sort of adjustable pin to fine tune for battery length. Either will easily accommodate the 1mm variance between a 18500 and 18490 battery.

In fact ruling out the 18490 size would eliminate using one of the finest, safest batteries available: the AW battery.

The short answer is: Yes, you can use 18490 batteries in a mod that says it accepts 18500 batteries.

If I've made a glaring omission here, or have erred in some way which may cause a safety issue I'm hoping someone will step in and correct me, but this is my understanding.

Thank you for that information. I had suspected something along those lines but have never seen anything as specific about it before.

JoppaRoadCruiser

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014
Dallas, TX

I'm an idiot. This should have occurred to me. I had read what these numbers meant before but for some reason it didn't occur to me that its only 1mm difference between the 490 and 500. Excellent explanation.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio

Can't remember what the last digit means (zero in all of the above) but it is irrelevant to my point.

You did a good job, jpjoe. :)

I explained what the numbers mean in my Deeper Understanding of Mod Batteries blog:

"The batteries we use in mods generally follow an industry defined identification scheme consisting of 3 letters followed by 5 numbers, ie. IMR18650, ICR14500, NCR18650 etc. The first three letters indicate the battery basic construction and capabilities. The following series of numbers indicate the batteries approximate physical size and shape."

The "O" indicates that the battery is round in shape.

In addition: "What do all those numbers and letters really mean? The entire sequence can be broken down as such: the first letter indicates the basic chemical makeup of the battery. The second, and most important letter indicates the material.

"I" indicates the battery is a Lithium Ion class battery. "C" indicates the material as cobalt; "M" indicates manganese; "N" indicates nickel. "R" indicates it is rechargeable.

Knowing this, "ICR" means Li-Ion/cobalt/rechargeable, "IMR" means Li-Ion/manganese/rechargeable. "NCR" means it is a hybrid battery using nickle/cobalt/rechargeable. Using manganese or nickel makes the battery a "safer chemistry".
"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread