New to Nickel coil/Temp control vaping. Need help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Govmnt_Lacky

May 23, 2015
Recently purchased a Vapeston Maganus NI nickel coil temp control tank. I absolutely LOVED the original Maganus and figured I would try the temp control. The tank comes with a nickel 0.25 and nickel 0.15 coil. I started with the pre-installed 0.15 coil and set the temp control to 450F. I primed the coil and tried some initial vapes. Totally sucked! The vapor production was terrible and it reminded me of my early days on eGo sticks!

Can someone run me through what I should be doing so I know how to set everything up correctly. I am running on a Sigelei 150W and vaping 70VG/30PG juice. Right now, I have a standard Maganus 0.2 coil in it and it works like the old tank but I want to use the Nickel coils too.

Thanks in advance :)

Douggro

Ultra Member
Nov 26, 2015
Seattle, WA
Again, when starting with anything TC-related, check your mod instructions for locking the coil resistance. Has to be done with the coil totally cooled to room temp. Set the wattage to something in the low end of what the coil is rated for. Set the temp at the lower end of the scale - somewhere in the 300's. Increasing wattage reduces the ramp-up time for the coil to hit the set temp; as you increase temp, open up the airflow - you want to keep the coil running at as close to a constant temp as possible. Wattage/temp/airflow need to be balanced for a good TC vape. Takes some fiddling, but you will find a sweet spot where it all comes together.

Nimaz

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2015
As Douggro is suggesting, make sure you lock the coil on your mod when its resistance (ohms) is at room temperature. If it's too hot when you lock the coil, the resistance is higher than the base and the temp. protection with hit too early when you vape resulting in poor vapor production. The rest could be your built itself, the wick and the liquid flow efficiency.

Govmnt_Lacky

May 23, 2015
What does "lock the coil" mean? Sorry for the newby question but this TC vaping is all new to me. Also, can a nickel coil be vaped normally? Like can I just set the wattage and go or are there other considerations?

On another note... has anyone else noticed that VaporGod got rid of their sample bottle program? That was the only reason I got juice at that place. It was a great deal to get 500mL of 10 different juices for like $100.

Douggro

Ultra Member
Nov 26, 2015
Seattle, WA
What does "lock the coil" mean? Sorry for the newby question but this TC vaping is all new to me. Also, can a nickel coil be vaped normally? Like can I just set the wattage and go or are there other considerations?
Read the instructions for your Sigelei on how to lock in the coil resistance. TC mods have this feature to regulate the coil temperature. Basically you're telling the mod the resistance of the cold coil, locking it in as the reference value for the mod to then measure the resistance as the wire gets hot and control the power applied to hit the desired temp setting. Not locking in the coil resistance gives no reference and a moving target for trying to control the power output. Not fun, not a nice vape.

DO NOT vape a nickel coil in wattage mode. Ever. Ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread