ni200 temp control.....need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm fairly new to vaping and I just received a Halo Reactor Mini as a gift with a .5 subohm ni200 coil. I've been reading around and found that for the nickel coils, it's dangerous to vape in wattage mode bc nickel overheats quickly. I'm just confused on what I should actually set my temp at? What temp is too hot for .5 subohm nickel coils?

APathos

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2016
CA USA
github.com
Just start at somewhere like 380F and increase till it's where you want it. My temp varies per juice. 380F-480F depending.

Yes, ni200 is not for wattage mode. It's used for TC because as it heats up, it's resistance changes along a known temp/resistance curve. So your mod basically knows what the temp of the coil is because it can read the resistance.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Temp. control (TC) is a two tier thing.

Let's give you proper info:

First note: NI and TI if heated too hot will oxidize, and particles can start coming off the coil, and if you breath those in, it is very harmful, so never use either types without TC.

Second note:TC prevents the coils from heating up higher and higher as wattage mode does... once it reaches your set parameters, it stops the power and pulses to maintain the coils at your settings.

The two tiers thing: 1) Wattage is how much power you're applying and causes how fast the coil heats up. 2) the temperature set is what determines this power output to the coil using calculations from the changes in the resistance of the metal (ohms).

So when you set your mod for NI or TI, you need to set it properly according to the coil. MTL device tend to be very small coil that heats up very quick, so 7-14 Watts can be the proper range for those, while a larger type device (aka much larger coils) can handle 30-60 watts. Too low and nothing much happens and can cause flooding. Too high is going to ping the TC to hit the temperature set too fast and be a bad vaping experience with it pulsing non-stop.

That said, for the TC, the range is usually 200 to 600 max (Fahrenheit) which is the safe range.

So depending on the tank and coil you use, for example, the Aspire Atlantis/Triton, or the eLeaf Melo/iJust, Freemax Starre/Scylla all use the same cross-compatible type coils, which can be set at 30-50 watts (some higher), and temperature is usually good at starting at 420F. As the coil wears, you can increase the temp, without any risk. Note that from one liquid to another, you might need to change the temperature settings as some liquids vape better at higher temperature than others.

Personally I prefer TC to the point that I don't like wattage mode much, with TC you have a stable vape, it reaches what you set it for and gives you a much smoother vape.

The best approach when you're not sure.. start low, first with the wattage settings, and then set the temperature. If it's not working well, increase the wattage a little at a time... at some point, you'll see that the temperature you've set might be too low, so increase it bit by bit too. Takes a few minutes at first until you get a good idea about it... once you get it right, it's awesome.

Other benefits with TC
1) no dry hits, if you're out of liquid and don't notice, (or the liquid is too thick and not wicking well) the coil heats up too fast (near instant) but the mod sees this and will stop the power output instantly.
2) it can helps prolong battery life a good 10 to 30%.

Last edited:
Reactions: Haktuspit

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
thanks a ton! really good info!! i've been wondering about this for a couple days now when i should have come here to begin with. very helpful!

No problem, Most new vapers don't really get the right info if any from the local stores, as I've seen great stores with staff that are very much into vaping and know their stuff, and some bad ones that are nothing more than selling outlets.

Many that start vaping don't realize that this isn't just fill and go, but lots of science behind them, and right now, there's so many choices compared to before when you'd just have one type of cheap device that entailed pushing a button, and when it no longer worked, you'd change a single cartridge that contained both the coil and a sponge filled with liquid.

Now you have mech or regulated mods, and the regulated have various features according to model, the tanks, so many choices for coils cartridges, then you have the drippers (RDA) or rebuildable coil tanks (RTA), the type of metal, wick, tips, and so on. And very important, the batteries and the safety you have to be aware of.

The information is out there but many don't even know where to start. So this site has been great. Note that some members aren't experts, some have limited knowledge, but many have been vaping for years. Myself.. it's been 8 years that I got into vaping, but only the last two/three years have things changed so much that it went from those eGo types (or mechs) being the only thing around, virtually no local stores, to where we are now.

But for a newbie that doesn't take the time or have someone to explain things properly (and not just opinions) it can be overwhelming.

But the two most important aspect for safety that I always recommend a newbie gets proper info is 1) battery safety, and for 2) TC with NI or TI, as you just did.

Note that SS (stainless steel) is picking up a lot of steam these last few months as a TC coil type as it is TC capable but also safe to use in Watt mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread