Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesDMad

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2018
Indiana
Interesting to read how many of you mix your own juice..I am sure the savings must be tremendous as Some of the stores i am buying from for my fav liquid runs $32.00 for a 60ml bottle.
Any suggestions on how and where to get started with this is much appreciated. As it seems with all my stuff now an extra room may be in order AKA "The vape Room"

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Interesting to read how many of you mix your own juice..I am sure the savings must be tremendous as Some of the stores i am buying from for my fav liquid runs $32.00 for a 60ml bottle.
Any suggestions on how and where to get started with this is much appreciated. As it seems with all my stuff now an extra room may be in order AKA "The Vape Room"

For DIY ejuice you need nicotine, VG, (PG if you use it) flavors, bottles and some measuring equipment... syringes or a scale.

I use liquid nicotine wholesalers for VG and nicotine, or Nude Nicotine for nicotine, and BCF (bull city flavors) for flavorings.

However. There are a ton of places to buy from, those are just my personal go-to's.

Liquid Nicotine - Vape Juice - E Juice - Liquid Nicotine Wholesalers

DIY Concentrated Flavoring

Nude Nicotine - Nicotine Bases, Salts, Analytical Testing, and More!

Just go to the diy recipe area of the forum for some recipes you think you'll like.

EBay is fine for bottles...

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Chubby-Goril...ink-LOT/253111443341?var=&hash=item3aee9e1f8d

https://m.ebay.com/itm/12-pack-of-2...435493?hash=item2a46803be5:g:6VUAAOSwEppUMpeZ

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Any suggestions on how and where to get started with this is much appreciated. As it seems with all my stuff now an extra room may be in order AKA "The Vape Room"
Research about DIY e-liquids. There's a DIY sub-forum in the E-liquid forum here on ECF. You Tube has numerous tutorial videos on DIY ... just do a search.

I use Wizzard Labs for my nic base, Pg, and Vg. I use primarily Bull City Vapor for my flavorings and DIY mixing hardware.

Last edited:

JamesDMad

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2018
Indiana
For DIY ejuice you need nicotine, VG, (PG if you use it) flavors, bottles and some measuring equipment... syringes or a scale.

I use liquid nicotine wholesalers for VG and nicotine, or Nude Nicotine for nicotine, and BCF (bull city flavors) for flavorings.

However. There are a ton of places to buy from, those are just my personal go-to's.

Liquid Nicotine - Vape Juice - E Juice - Liquid Nicotine Wholesalers

DIY Concentrated Flavoring

Nude Nicotine - Nicotine Bases, Salts, Analytical Testing, and More!

Just go to the diy recipe area of the forum for some recipes you think you'll like.
Oh lord, this new hobby/habit.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Guessing the above in red are links but it seems I have no access to them yet.. Thanks anyway...How long until i am able to see items like this?

You should be able to click my links immediately. .. it's just that you cant post your own til you've made x amount of posts..

Try clearing cookies and removing any script blocker you may have..

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Might want to do a little reading before you attempt DIY. It's kind of difficult when you are still trying out new equipment and establishing your taste favorites. You could save some money by mixing one shots (OS). I found one shot mixing to be close to the flavor advertised (easier to mix too) on the bottle and can provide some adjustment of the strength (percentage) of flavor. OS Mixing also is a good introductory to DIY.
Might like to visit:
DIYorDIE Concentrates
One Shot Concentrates
Flavors - Gremlin - Gremlin DIY --- Known as "Gremlin DIY" = one shot?
Shipping Rates
Flavor Cartridge
30 mL

JamesDMad

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2018
Indiana
Well I've done it... Completed my first RTA build with the Pharaoh Tank.. Watched many a video before attempting and the research paid off.. Got my Spaced Stapled Clapton 3mm tested the coil at .19 ohms ithen wicked it up with some cotton bacon. Must admit for a first time attempt lady luck was on my side.. a little new cotton taste but fired it at 30 watts and it was nice and smooth producing some decent clouds for that low of wattage..
IMG_0121.jpg

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Too late, ordered some rayon from Amazon for 6.00 plus free shipping... not out too much if i don't like it..

I haven't tried rayon, so I can't say good or bad about it. Some people swear by it. I've used Silica in the past, and can taste it, and have tried other wicking methods, but I always go back to Japanese cotton. When I saw the rayon, I thought it was just another fad wicking method. There was a time when a new wicking materials came out almost daily. I have my own opinions about them, and I tried a few. Still went back to organic Japanese cotton. Other wicking materials I've seen...

Silica
SS wire (for Genesis(bottom feeding, where a tank wicks up to the coil above) style tanks).
Hemp
Ready-X (I think this is simply another silica wick)
Rayon
Ceramic (you could make one from an aquatic bubblestone)
cotton yarn (It still tastes bad)
boiled organic cotton (too much work)
Cotton Bacon (I think this will probably be fine, just someone else boiling it and preparing it for ya)
Japanese cotton (ko-gen-do and Muji) (my favorite)
Ekowool (just a hollow silica wick)
CelluCotton (could be good)
SS mesh.
(varius) type cotton... several brands, I'll lump them all together in one type... many claim to burn less than japanese cotton. Texas Tuff, Pima, etc....

Just a few choices. out there.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Well I've done it... Completed my first RTA build with the Pharaoh Tank.. Watched many a video before attempting and the research paid off.. Got my Spaced Stapled Clapton 3mm tested the coil at .19 ohms ithen wicked it up with some cotton bacon. Must admit for a first time attempt lady luck was on my side.. a little new cotton taste but fired it at 30 watts and it was nice and smooth producing some decent clouds for that low of wattage.. View attachment 724835

congrats. As you can see, it's not really that hard to do. I really say you should go to a local vape shop and try some Japanese cotton.. I don't get any cotton taste from the get go. Maybe pickup a pad or two for testing, and if you like it, you can order some online for cheaper. Just keep an eye out for tank flooding and dry hits... It will have to do with the amount of cotton you put in there... but the Pharoh is a very forgiving tank, so you're probably good on that. I'm just amazed at how good of build your first time setup is... I literally couldn't pick a better one. So, try not to use that setup as a benchmark... you won't find anything better. However, other build decks do offer other advantages. For example, I like Goblin Mini RTA's. I wouldn't recommend it to a newer builder, since the build deck is so TINY and you have to wick it a specific way. However, it is an awesome performer as far as flavor goes.

JamesDMad

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2018
Indiana
congrats. As you can see, it's not really that hard to do. I really say you should go to a local vape shop and try some Japanese cotton.. I don't get any cotton taste from the get go. Maybe pickup a pad or two for testing, and if you like it, you can order some online for cheaper. Just keep an eye out for tank flooding and dry hits... It will have to do with the amount of cotton you put in there... but the Pharoh is a very forgiving tank, so you're probably good on that. I'm just amazed at how good of build your first time setup is... I literally couldn't pick a better one. So, try not to use that setup as a benchmark... you won't find anything better. However, other build decks do offer other advantages. For example, I like Goblin Mini RTA's. I wouldn't recommend it to a newer builder, since the build deck is so TINY and you have to wick it a specific way. However, it is an awesome performer as far as flavor goes.
Thanks for the advice. The build did pretty good and the cotton taste went away after a few hits on it. I did experience some leakage even after making sure it was "tight, tight, tight" as Rip would say, but it wasn’t horrible. I did experience some spit back that I wasn’t too fond of as it burnt the piss out of the roof of my mouth, "can feel the blister forming ,damn".
Letting it sir for now as I am back on my valerian tank from uwell. Damn I love those.
Got my build kit coming with an ohm meter coming from Amazon, trouble is........
Where will I put all my stuff?:danger:

Reactions: stols001

JamesDMad

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2018
Indiana
Congrats on your first build, way to go!!!!! LOL, mine didn't leak (my first build) it poured out everywhere like a faucet.

I love rayon it solves all my wicking issues, but I will say, I'd love to try hemp sometime. I have clothes made of hemp, and they are the bomb. One day, I will try hemp....

Anna
Anxious to get the rayon next week.

JamesDMad

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2018
Indiana
Congrats on your first build, way to go!!!!! LOL, mine didn't leak (my first build) it poured out everywhere like a faucet.

I love rayon it solves all my wicking issues, but I will say, I'd love to try hemp sometime. I have clothes made of hemp, and they are the bomb. One day, I will try hemp....

Anna
Any idea on the thing spitting hot liquid up? Thinking a thin layer of cotton mesh to cover might stop that It really burned

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
No, it's probably your wick doing that. You may need to pack the cotton a little tighter in the coil. And depending on your resistance, up wattage?

Your tank can still flood, so you might try flinging it around, or blowing out through the airholes... Something. But, if I were to suspect anything it would be not enough wick in the coils....

Anna

• Informative
Reactions: JamesDMad

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston

I started mixing my own juice a couple months ago and can’t imagine spending money on ejuice now! Not only am I saving money but I’m having a lot of fun doing it.

I did a lot of research on the net and decided to buy a fantastic DIY starter kit from Nicotine River. It was abt $50 and included 15 different flavor concentrates. Much more than any other kit including more expensive kits out there. Comes with everything you need to get started including bottles. The only thing you’d want is a precision scale that can be had at Amazon for about $10. I STRONGLY suggest using the weighing method as opposed the the volume method. It’s quick and nothing needs to be cleaned up.

Before I ordered my kit I googled some recipes that included some of the flavors of my favorite bought ejuice. That way you know which flavors you should get. There are some great sites that have e juice recipes with calculators. I use e liquid recipes. I keep all my flavors and recipes there too.

Any how if you decide to go DIY enjoy it’s really a fun hobby!

sara u

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Any idea on the thing spitting hot liquid up? Thinking a thin layer of cotton mesh to cover might stop that It really burned

The only thing I can suggest, is slowing the ramp up time for the coils, to let it heat up slower. Usually when you go from coldish to hot real fast, the juice tends to "boil" instantly.. creating those pops. Either you can lower the wattage some to see if it helps, or try closing the juice flow a bit to dry up the coil just a bit. Unless you find a way to secure some cotton or mesh, I don't advise putting any mesh in, since you could accidentally inhale it. They do make some anti-spitback drip tips, but these inhibit the airflow a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread