New to Squonks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chiisaiinu

• Apr 20, 2022
    Tacoma, WA USA
    I keep hearing people talking about Squonk boxes so I picked up a Vandy vape PR SE 95W Squonk Kit. I figured it was a self feeding rda but I am finding squonks hard to use. How often are you suppose to push the lil bottle? I give it a lil push and get maybe half a hit before my mouth is filled with burnt cotton. Perhaps someone could enlighten me on how to operate this lil guy as apparently it requires more IQ then I posses(single digits?). Thank you for your time and cooperation on the matter!

Doffy

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 15, 2014
    Australia
    i don't have that particular mod

but duration of press varies a lot, from a couple of seconds for a well designed feeder with high PG liquid, up to as much as 15 seconds in winter for max VG and a slower feeding mod/atty combo

best advice is to start by taking cap off rda each squonk watch the liquid soak your wick. Just to get you going and teach you how to feel for it. It won't take long to master

depending on wick, coil diameter you might get 10 or 20 tokes. Some people prefer to tell by vapour dying off a little and knowing it is time to squonk. I tend to hear more crackle and squonk then

Chiisaiinu

• Apr 20, 2022
    Tacoma, WA USA
    i don't have that particular mod

but duration of press varies a lot, from a couple of seconds for a well designed feeder with high PG liquid, up to as much as 15 seconds in winter for max VG and a slower feeding mod/atty combo

best advice is to start by taking cap off rda each squonk watch the liquid soak your wick. Just to get you going and teach you how to feel for it. It won't take long to master

depending on wick, coil diameter you might get 10 or 20 tokes. Some people prefer to tell by vapour dying off a little and knowing it is time to squonk. I tend to hear more crackle and squonk then
    How are you suppose to hit it? Seems like 2s into the hit with manufacturer supplied coil and tip is so hot it takes skin off my lip. @ 45w btw

Train2

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 11, 2013
    CA, USA
    I keep hearing people talking about Squonk boxes so I picked up a Vandy Vape PR SE 95W Squonk Kit. I figured it was a self feeding RDA but I am finding squonks hard to use. How often are you suppose to push the lil bottle? I give it a lil push and get maybe half a hit before my mouth is filled with burnt cotton. Perhaps someone could enlighten me on how to operate this lil guy as apparently it requires more IQ then I posses(single digits?). Thank you for your time and cooperation on the matter!
    Quick search shows that coming with the Requiem RDA.
    I vape mechs - but I have a few of that RDA (and I have a mech version of the Vandy mod too).

Here's some thoughts:
    1 - You can peek through the drip tip while squonking, and see juice coming up until the wick is getting wet. I STILL do that sporadically, and I've been squonking for years. As @Doffy said - it varies by setup.
    2 - That RDA requires frequent squonks. There's like NO "juice well" keeping the wick fed with liquid between squonks. Personally, I take long slow draws, with a lot of airflow (full open, and I use the fat tip) - and I squeeze when using a Requiem probably every 1 or 2 puffs!!
    3 - If you're getting burnt, you very well may want to try a higher resistance coil. That IS about as low as I think I'd ever go with that RDA - because of the airflow, lack of reservoir, etc... Try a coil that's 0.35 or 0.4 and it might make a huge difference...

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I give it a lil push and get maybe half a hit before my mouth is filled with burnt cotton

It's not a button, it's a bottle - a lil push isn't enough. Push it more than just a lil. Take the cap off to see what's happening and how much juice you get with your lil push then change your lil push accordingly.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    How are you suppose to hit it? Seems like 2s into the hit with manufacturer supplied coil and tip is so hot it takes skin off my lip. @ 45w btw

Maybe you should Dial Back the Watts until you can get a Feel for what is Going On Squonk-Wise?

As others have said, Squonking is a Generic Term of what we Do. Not How or How Long we do it. So it is going to depend on what RDA one is using.

I use one of those RDA's like Train2 mentioned that has very little Small Juice Well. Couple that with a Squonk Pin that is almost flush with the Juice Well Floor causing almost Complete Drainage. So yeah... I need to Squonk after 3 Hits or so.

If I was you I would put a Build that you know Works into your RDA. Something you have used before. Then Listen to How the Build Sounds when you hit it and it is Hitting Well. Compare that to what it sound like when it is Over Squonked, ie: Flooded - Gurgling. And Under Squonked ie: Dry Hit - Popping and Crackling.

And if in Doubt, Squonk.

Also, Gently pressing the Squonk Bottle and Holding it for a couple of Seconds is Better than doing a Quick Hard Press. Especially if you use a Thick High VG e-Liquid.

You'll get there. But it does take some Trial and Error.

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    The amount you squonk depends heavily on the squonk bottle, the BF pin (diameter of the hole and length), and the RDA/RDTA deck design which involves where the juice is dispersed and how deep the juice well is.

For example, no matter how full the bottle is in my Centaurus, there's always some amount of excess compression needed to get the juice to start feeding the deck. In contrast, there's very little compression needed to get juice up into the deck via the Pulse V2 - it's almost immediate. Same with the Dovpo Topside Dual. And as lackluster as the Aspire Feedlink Semi-mech squonk is, it also feeds very well into the deck.

The BF "Squonk" pin can vary in hole diameter as well as in length when used in RDAs vs. RDTAs - the length in an RDTA is probably twice to three times as long as a normal squonk pin.

Lastly, there are rebuildable decks that place the squonk pin dispersion hole at the bottom of the juice well, so that excess juice is sucked back into the bottle. However, many decks place the squonk dispersion hole(s) on top of the coils or split the juice to both sides of the deck to get juice to your cotton more quickly. If the holes are not placed at the bottom of the deck, then squonking will simply spit juice into the juice well and suck none of it back into the bottle. You need to watch out for decks that do this, as it's very easy to overflow shallow juice wells where you're going to end up with juice spilling out through your airflow holes. It might be best to find yourself an RDA that's dual coil and has the squonk pin placed directly in the center of your juice well. That way you can look directly down into the drip tip and see when your juice starts flowing, and how fast it's coming out. You can also see if your bottle is sucking back excess juice.

Dual coil deck with center positioned squonk hole:
    20220429_113625.jpg

Also be mindful of how much height there is between the bottom of the deck and the lowest section of the airflow:
    20220429_113817.jpg

Effectively, this Asgard Mini would need to be filled all the way to the airflow holes before it'd start leaking juice out while positioned straight up and down. If you have quite a bit of excess juice sitting in your juice well, that can leak through the airflow when you tilt it to your mouth. For this particular deck, the squonk pin will suck excess juice in the juice well, back into the squonk bottle.

A last note - I would stay away from RDA/RDTAs that use an unsealed flathead squonk pin. I've noticed this to be a common thing for Oumier's rebuildable atomizers. If the flathead ends of the squonk pin are not sealed, you're going to have a crazy amount of juice end up just sitting in the 510 compartment of your mod. Added pressure from squonking is going to want to force that juice somewhere it's not supposed to be.

This is how most squonk pins will come:
    authentic-gas-mods-replacement-bf-bottom-feeder-squonk-pin.jpg

Squonk pins you want to avoid:
    replacement-bottom-feeder-center-pinbrass.jpg

See how there's nothing to prevent juice from squirting out the sides of the flathead slot?

You will occasionally see flatheads with the sides sealed off. Excuse my crude Photoshop work, but I hope you're able to understand what I mean:
    Untitled-1.jpg

This keeps the juice where it's supposed to be - either in the deck or in the bottle.

Chiisaiinu

• Apr 20, 2022
    Tacoma, WA USA
    The amount you squonk depends heavily on the squonk bottle, the BF pin (diameter of the hole and length), and the RDA/RDTA deck design which involves where the juice is dispersed and how deep the juice well is.
    SNIP.....
    Yes I think I need to find another squonk RDA. This RDA is either smoking hot after 1-2s or almost no flavor at all (45w and 35w respectively). This Requiem RDA that came with it is only a single coil, so I will keep an eye out for a double coil squonk RDA(do you have any you suggest?). I have more or less figured out how to keep the cotton wet at this point. Now it's just figuring out how to make the experience pleasant.

Chiisaiinu

• Apr 20, 2022
    Tacoma, WA USA
    Quick search shows that coming with the Requiem RDA.
    I vape mechs - but I have a few of that RDA (and I have a mech version of the Vandy mod too).

Here's some thoughts:
    1 - You can peek through the drip tip while squonking, and see juice coming up until the wick is getting wet. I STILL do that sporadically, and I've been squonking for years. As @Doffy said - it varies by setup.
    2 - That RDA requires frequent squonks. There's like NO "juice well" keeping the wick fed with liquid between squonks. Personally, I take long slow draws, with a lot of airflow (full open, and I use the fat tip) - and I squeeze when using a Requiem probably every 1 or 2 puffs!!
    3 - If you're getting burnt, you very well may want to try a higher resistance coil. That IS about as low as I think I'd ever go with that RDA - because of the airflow, lack of reservoir, etc... Try a coil that's 0.35 or 0.4 and it might make a huge difference...

I appreciate your insight and have kind of figured out the juice management. I took your advice and ditched the .25Ω for .5Ω and the RDA isn't instantly burning hot. It still gets too hot to use after 2-3 puffs though but I suspect that's possibly a failure/flaw with the RDA design.

Reactions: Train2

Chiisaiinu

• Apr 20, 2022
    Tacoma, WA USA
    Also be mindful of how much height there is between the bottom of the deck and the lowest section of the airflow:
    View attachment 973731

SNIP..

I am also noticing your squonk RDA looks double or triple the height of the one included with the mod. I am thinking this is likely the issue with overheating as the mouthpiece practically sits on top of the coil as its so low profile. I could very well be wrong but to go to a double coil setup I would definitely want to "get some distance" between my lips and the coils.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Looking at a video I see that this RDA comes with 3 different top caps with different airflow holes. Did yours come with these 3 different top caps and are you using the one with the widest airflow holes? If so, that RDA may not be suitable for that wattage range if you want a cooler vape because you can't get enough air to cool things down to your liking.

Chiisaiinu

• Apr 20, 2022
    Tacoma, WA USA
    Looking at a video I see that this RDA comes with 3 different top caps with different airflow holes. Did yours come with these 3 different top caps and are you using the one with the widest airflow holes? If so, that RDA may not be suitable for that wattage range if you want a cooler vape because you can't get enough air to cool things down to your liking.

It did, it came with a small, med, and large. I have played around with each size with similar results. I will dig around and see if I can find a wattage I am suppose to use. on my nomal RDA I usually run about 75w so I am not sure why 35-45w is getting the RDA so hot.

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    It did, it came with a small, med, and large. I have played around with each size with similar results. I will dig around and see if I can find a wattage I am suppose to use. on my nomal RDA I usually run about 75w so I am not sure why 35-45w is getting the RDA so hot.
    Trying a lower temp might seem logical, but if it's hindering the coil's ability to vape the juice properly, you're going to spend an abnormal amount of extra time trying to get the coils to the proper temp. It's like holding your hand over a very warm heater for 10 seconds which ends up feeling way hotter than waving your hand over an open flame. This is assuming you're using the same resistance coils in both instances. I'm not sure what you've ended up using for a coil resistance.

A particular Wattage isn't the defining indicator of how hot your coils are getting - that's based directly on the coil's resistance. A coil resistance of 1.0 at 20W can get just as hot as a 0.2 Ohm coil at 70W.

Chiisaiinu

• Apr 20, 2022
    Tacoma, WA USA
    Trying a lower temp might seem logical, but if it's hindering the coil's ability to vape the juice properly, you're going to spend an abnormal amount of extra time trying to get the coils to the proper temp. It's like holding your hand over a very warm heater for 10 seconds which ends up feeling way hotter than waving your hand over an open flame. This is assuming you're using the same resistance coils in both instances. I'm not sure what you've ended up using for a coil resistance.

A particular Wattage isn't the defining indicator of how hot your coils are getting - that's based directly on the coil's resistance. A coil resistance of 1.0 at 20W can get just as hot as a 0.2 Ohm coil at 70W.
    I am very familiar with ohms law as I am an electrician by trade. My normal RDA are .1Ω to .2Ω and I run at 70-75w. So.. the newest coil I have in the squonk is .5Ω @ 35-45w. With no flavor at 35w but able to do 2s "draw" 1-2 times before its too hot to touch. On the flip side at 45w(again at .5 Ω) It's barely 1s before the plastic top/mouthpiece is searing hot. I have been playing around with settings between 35-45w but so far get either negative result just at different speeds.
    Although in the interest of clarity I could say that wattage is a defining factor of how hot the coil gets. Going back to ohms law, wattage, ohms, voltage, ect are all in a sort of harmony. If you have 2.5resistance but no wattage then no heat will occur, its a delicate balance between volt/watt/resistance. I get what you saying, however I get miffed when people have an incorrect view of how electricity works so I am clarifying for anyone reading. You seem well informed so I am sure you know this, but were simply trying to give a layman explanation.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I am very familiar with ohms law as I am an electrician by trade. My normal RDA are .1Ω to .2Ω and I run at 70-75w. So.. the newest coil I have in the squonk is .5Ω @ 35-45w. With no flavor at 35w but able to do 2s "draw" 1-2 times before its too hot to touch. On the flip side at 45w(again at .5 Ω) It's barely 1s before the plastic top/mouthpiece is searing hot. I have been playing around with settings between 35-45w but so far get either negative result just at different speeds.

Really hard to know what is Going On with that Build/RDA? But it almost sounds like you have a Hot Leg or or something Similar.

Do your other RDA's have Squonk Pins?

Last edited:
    • Agree
    Reactions: bsidb
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread