Struggling with squonking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve W Pedersen

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2011
bakersfield,ca
Howdy,
I purchased a vandy vape bf single battery squonk mod. The rda I picked at the same time is the Dead Rabbit.
first unfun bit was figureing out that the 510 pin is fixed and that I needed to unscrew the squonk pin on the rda in order to keep the mod from leaking all over the place. Ok eventually issue solved.
I feel a kinda constant level of fud while useing this device, should I squonk should I wait kinda thing. I have a low level of wetness at the base of the rta again fud it's a brand new dead rabbit is there issues with the Orings I can't seem to tell.
My vape is pretty pathetic low vapor and restrictive air intake along with the joys of hot spitting liquid in my mouth vary much like what I experianced with the Zeus RTA.
I am not ready to give up yet, there are some things I am liking about squonking the lightness of the mod and the ease of building are big pluses.
If anyone has some advice for a newb squonker I would apreciate it.
Oh incase wondering what fud is fud = Fear Uncertinty Dout.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
There is definitely a bit of a learning curve with squonking. I'm not familiar with either your mod or your RDA, so all I can offer is generic advice how I do it: Squonk immediately after you take a hit, until you see vapor coming out of the RDA's air holes. If your wicking is good, you do not need to saturate the whole wick and coil; all you need is to get some juice to the bottom of the wicks.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Hehe, that would be the kind of discovery I would first make with squonking I bet. The pin I mean.

Also, watch some youtube vids of your device and etc. And, well, keep having exciting fun I guess. I know next to zero about squonking and whatnot, but yeah a tutorial or several might not go amiss, etc.

Anna

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    The regulated Pulse 80w or the mech Pulse?
    Both mod 510s are not fixed, there is some travel.
    Tighten the atty 510 squonk pin, then tighten to the mod. It should make contact without leaking.
    If you are trying to use dual coil, massive claptons on the mech Pulse it will be a weak vape, unless it's built very low ohm. I run single coil, simple builds on single battery mods.
    Not sure why your air is restricted on the Dead Rabbit, it's got good size air holes.
    Pull the drip tip off and watch the juice as you squonk. You'll see how much and how often you need to squonk.
    After awhile it becomes second nature.
    It's almost impossible to over squonk the Dead Rabbit, with the air flow being so high off the deck.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Howdy,
    I purchased a vandy vape bf single battery squonk mod. The rda I picked at the same time is the Dead Rabbit.
    first unfun bit was figureing out that the 510 pin is fixed and that I needed to unscrew the squonk pin on the RDA in order to keep the mod from leaking all over the place. Ok eventually issue solved.
    I feel a kinda constant level of fud while useing this device, should I squonk should I wait kinda thing. I have a low level of wetness at the base of the rta again fud it's a brand new dead rabbit is there issues with the Orings I can't seem to tell.
    My vape is pretty pathetic low vapor and restrictive air intake along with the joys of hot spitting liquid in my mouth vary much like what I experianced with the Zeus RTA.
    I am not ready to give up yet, there are some things I am liking about squonking the lightness of the mod and the ease of building are big pluses.
    If anyone has some advice for a newb squonker I would apreciate it.
    Oh incase wondering what fud is fud = Fear Uncertinty Dout.

When I first starting Squonking, it helped to know exactly How Much e-Liquid went into an RDA for a given Squonk. So when I would Build a Coil, I would Prime it by Squonking. I found that 1 Moderately firm Squonk would Fill the Juice Well on most of my Single Coil 22mm RDA's.

Then I would Put the RDA cover back on and take a Hit while listening. Ever so Slight Gurgle. OK.

Then after 4 or 5 Hits, I'd notice a Slight Sizzle sound after I released the Fire Button. The Next Hit would be a Close to a Dry Hit. And the Hit after that Would be a Dry Hit! So I kinda got in a Rhythm of Listening to the Hit.

Hit - Slight Sizzle
    1 Moderately Firm Squonk
    Hit - Slight Gurgle
    4 ~ 5 Hits
    Hit - Slight Sizzle
    1 Moderately Firm Squonk
    Repeat

After doing it awhile, It just becomes Second Nature. And there are times when I wonder if I have even Squonked today? But I must have? Because I have been hitting on it All Day.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    My best idea was to get a transparent top so I could see how much juice was being squonked (or not).
    Now why didn't I think of that? Oh yeah, because nothing like that existed when I was learning to squonk, and I still don't have a single atty with a clear cap. But yeah, I could see how that would make it easier for someone who's just starting.

Steamer861

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 13, 2014
    Canada
    At first for the longest time, I wanted to like BF'ing! But I had so many problems :(
    I would constantly over squonk! I would get leaking out the Air holes or spit back burning my mouth or even a mouth full of juice :(
    For me the turning point was the right atty! (Pulse 22) With the Pulse 22 I could really give a good squonk & flood the whole coil & wick. The Air holes are high, so no leaking out, the atty is a bit taller than traditional Dripper, so no spit back! 810 drip tip so I can see inside when I'm squonking :) (I still look inside every squonk)
    A transparent Cap sounds good in theory, But does not work in practise :(
    It clouds up all most instantly & you can't see what going on inside :(
    Like Rossum all ready mentioned squonking has a bit of a learning curve. Or just get the right atty designed for Squonking & Go :)

For Me the Pulse 22 made squonking Easy :) I have 1 on all my BF'ers Now!
    Thats what worked for Me :) Your results may differ

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hundertwasser
    To squonk, or not to squonk: that is the question.

The spitting and low vapor production screams lack of power to me.

The thing with squonk mods is that the juice bottle occupies the space a battery would normally occupy. So a single battery mod will be the size of a dual battery equivalent, a dual battery squonk the size of a triple battery mod. So it comes down to what wattage you like to vape at. Below 50 watts and a single battery squonk will probably float your boat, above and you are going to need two batteries and a correspondingly large mod.
    Whether an regulated or unregulated Pulse, people generally compensate for the lack of power a single battery can supply by using a single coil setup or very low mass dual coils.

I'm assuming you have the unregulated Pulse. You can make life easier by using a 20700 or 21700 which depending on which one you choose will give you a higher amp limit meaning you can build lower.

Do you have the regulated or unregulated Pulse?
    What battery are you using?
    What coil/s are you using?
    What wattage do you like to vape at?

Susaz

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 8, 2009
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    I don't like attys. Period. But, for the most part, you learn. But BF is dirty and takes some getting used to.
    After you sqonk take a pull at your atty without firing. If it gurgles you've oversqonked. But take a pull to suck whatever liquid might have remained in the catchcup
    Old REO tricks...

Reactions: stols001

Steve W Pedersen

ECF Veteran
    Nov 11, 2011
    bakersfield,ca
    Howdy folks,
    Sry I havent got back to this thread sooner.
    The mod is the 80 regulated pulse (I checked the box)
    coil ohms out to .45 and I usually vape around 30-40 w.
    to reduce the spitback I have reduced my wattage to 27.
    thank you everyone for your advice and I do intend to keep experimenting with this. I am begining to think that mebby the dead rabbit might just not be right for me. need to find a rda with great airflow single coil and a deep leak free juice well.

rob33

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 20, 2009
    A World Traveler
    this is really simple once you get it figured out it's going to be on aw hxll moment. Ok you got your coil built start around .7 or higher play around later. Ok look at you vent holes thats the coil height you want to line up. Ok wick, a firm but not tight wick inside the coil. Load you juice bottle up ready I usually drip a new wick...now slowly give it a lite squeeze with the top cap of the rda off look at the juice coming in see that easy flow hold for 5 to 10 seconds and release, excess juice will revac to the tank, for a new wick you may have to do this a couple of times. Fire it without the cap on, if it is popping could be dry still or wick too tight. Popping with cap on, the height of the coil needs to be adjusted usually lower. Start with your vent open full pay around later. Hope this helps ya

Last edited:
    Reactions: stols001

alvitae

ECF Veteran
    Sep 17, 2009
    Oregon Usa
    For me the Dead Rabbit is real build dependant. It's real hard for me to get conistancy with it. And it's not just what coil I use, It's also the coils have to be placed just right, wicking just right etc. When you nail it you get a great vape. Other times? Not so much.

I've been using the single coil Recurve lately. It is consistent. It has gauges so the coil is the right height every time. You don't have to worry about placement as in relation to the airflow. With just one coil you don't have to worry about one coil having a different resistance and firing sooner and hotter. And surprisingly the vapor with it is just as flavorful, dense and saturated as the dual coil rabbit.

When to squonk? It's a learning curve. And it will change with each RDA. It should be fairly hard to over squonk because when you release the bottle the excess should draw back down. Listen for the "squonk" sounds. If it doesn't you might be using to thick of a liquid.

Hightech Redneck

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 27, 2015
    N C
    I didnt get along with the wasp lol.
    But I can add look at the nudge 22 and the new drop solo.
    Both perform well for me but as mentioned everyone is different.
    I agree that I have learned modern single coil rdas are basically equivalent to old duals. Sounds odd to say but airflow research etc has made them great.
    Single coil will require less power and increase battery life as well.:2c: GL

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2013
    Sugar Hill, Georgia
    I didnt get along with the wasp lol.
    But I can add look at the nudge 22 and the new drop solo.
    Both perform well for me but as mentioned everyone is different.
    I agree that I have learned modern single coil rdas are basically equivalent to old duals. Sounds odd to say but airflow research etc has made them great.
    Single coil will require less power and increase battery life as well.:2c: GL
    I never liked the wasp either. Flavor, vapor, ease of build and price were all really good. I just hated the noise. It wasn't smooth enough or quiet enough for me.
    Great to see an authentic dripper that was as nice as the wasp come in at that price, though .

Mysteron

ECF Veteran
    May 23, 2018
    Land of Smiles
    I find the Recurve is a great RDA on the Pulse 80 (or indeed any mod), along with the Drop Solo (joint first) and then the Nudge. The Recurve is restrictive but not overly so, the Solo has the added benefit of you being able to open it up more if you need. Closed down (the Solo) to roughly the same AF as the Recurve and for me the Recurve produces slightly better flavour, just. I'd also say the AF on the Recurve is a tad more open than the Nudge with it's large AF top cap, I just like the AF on the Recurve more, less turbulent and less noisy too. Not that the Nudge is that loud, but the Recurve is quieter / smoother, for me anyways. I've heard the Pulse 22 is good but I've not tried one and have no need for another single coil RDA.

As to squonking I find a gentle press on the bottle enough to shoot up enough juice, def does not need a forceful squeeze. As to the 'when' I find I can normally tell by the flavour, it will start to drop off as the wick dries out, then your'e probably good for one or two more (albeit pretty tasteless) vapes before getting a dry hit. Pal of mine was having loads of problems on the same set up but he was really shooting too much juice and drenching the wicks out every time, problem compounded by squonking again before that juice was vaped off. Over time that juice in the wicks congeals and inhibits the wicking properties. As has been said above, just enough to wet the wicks, not drench them or create a pool in the bottom of the mod. I look at the juice wells as overflow protection, not something you need to fill.

If leaving the atty overnight it's better IMO to vape it almost dry, maybe one hit after you get the flavour drop off, that way your wicks are not sat it gradually congealing juice, a problem made worse by it evaporating overnight. Trying to get a wick to wick again once it's got that gunk in it is pretty hard going and not a particularly pleasant experience IMO. Also, I know a lot of folks don't with RDAs, but I still find it useful to thin the wick tails out by about 20-30%, especially with material that I find wicks very well (like TFC or Kendo Gold), so you don't have wad of tight wick tail stuffed in the juice well.

Also useful to take the atty off daily and wipe the 510 plate and the bottom of the atty with a tissue, condensation is normal (though it shouldn't be too much!), as is some seeping between the RDAs squonk pin and the 510 plate / pin. If there's a lot it's a good idea not just to tighten the RDA squonk pin but also to take it out and then re-fit it, it might bed down better.

As an aside, I also find I get better battery life from the Pulse 80 by dropping the sleep time cut off down to 2 minutes. When I'm vaping it's rarely 2 minutes before between draws and even if it is, the fact the the first draw may take a millisecond or two longer to power up, I find the difference not noticeable, and certainly outweighed by the battery life improvement by having the mod sleep after two minutes rather than being kept live for the default 30 minutes.

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    If leaving the atty overnight it's better IMO to vape it almost dry, maybe one hit after you get the flavour drop off, that way your wicks are not sat it gradually congealing juice, a problem made worse by it evaporating overnight.
    I don't know what's in the juice you're vaping, but mine is VG and PG, and there's nothing in it that makes it "congeal". Both VG and PG have low enough vapor pressures at room temperature that evaporation overnight is negligible.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread