New to vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joolsb72

Nov 18, 2017
Durham UK
Hi all
I only started vaping around 3 weeks ago. I'm using a T priv with a baby beast tank & using T8 coils. I'm vaping at around 50 watts, using 70/30 eliquid 3mg nicotine. I'm finding that my coils are only lasting a day or two. I always make sure to prime the coils first then leave them to soak for around 30 mins before using. Am I doing something incorrectly or should I be using different coils or buy a complete different tank?

jfcooley

I find your lack of faith disturbing...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
Charlottesville, Virginia
Welcome to ECF.
Some use a small needle to poke a small holes in the openings on the side. Not a huge hole just the tip of the needle.

The theory is that the coil can't wick enough to keep up with heavy vapors.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Okay thankyou so much. I'll try that. It was costing me a fortune having to keep buying coils
This is why most people eventually move on to RTAs coils cost the moon and really aren’t all that much easier to deal with. They are simpler though.

Joolsb72

Nov 18, 2017
Durham UK
Hello Julesb72. Welcome to ECF! Not familiar with your set up but you will get some good tips from people here. Congratulations on making the switch to vaping!
Catherine
Hi Catherine
Thanks very much for the warm welcome. I've had some good tips already that I hadn't heard about.
Jools

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I've seen RTA mentioned a few times on amazon and ebay but I don't really understand what it is
It’s like the atty you have now but the coil works differently. Instead of a coil cartridge you have a bare coil held in with screws and wicked through the center with a piece of cotton. Because the cotton can be replaced the coils last orders of magnitude longer. Up to a year or more. The cotton is all much much cheaper than coils. A few pennies instead of a few dollars. Th

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Welcome Jools.
RTA- rebuildable tank atomizer. You install your coil and wick (cotton) yourself. Coil lasts much longer and you change wick as needed.
Any custard will shorten your drop in coil life. Drop in coils, or stock coil, is what you currently use.
Amazon and ebay are not good sources to learn about vaping or vape gear. Use youtube or the forums.
We were all newbs at one time, just ask away.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Thanks. I've just looked on Google and on you tube about the RTAs & RDAs & RDTAs. It looks like it's going to be worth looking into for definite. RTA looks like it's going to be better than having keep dripping juice onto the cotton
Both have pros. It may take you awhile to find your vape style. Some like all things vape and some are like myself and stick a more specific type of vaping. I love single coil rtas and rdas. I loved the journey getting to my happy place. Hope it is the same for you.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Building your own coils is definitely the way to go. Good wire costs very little around $4 to $10 per hundred foot depending on the wire. Will make a couple hundred coils. The coils will last for a long time too as long as you re-wick occasionally.

But do watch videos on building coils for whatever RTA you end up with. And get a good coil building kit with a good ohm reader, a very good investment.

Something like this. This is the manufacturer site but you can find it at a lower price.

Coil Master DIY Kit V3 - Coil Master

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Hi
Rhubarb and custard is the one I use most. I've never heard of rolling your own coils. I'm going to have to do some research into that I think. Thanks
Yup. It's that custard juice doing in your coils. Might as well just line 'em up and shoot them. You definitely need to look into coil building. It's not that hard to do, but there is a learning curve, and some up-front expense to get some tools and parts. Still, once you have done so, it gets a lot cheaper.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
As said, some juice gunk up the wire coil/cotton wick assembly. Buying new factory coils gets costly.

A Kayfun Mini 3 is a respectable RTA and rather forgiving. Check YouTube for for learning. I use the Coil Master mentioned above.

It is surprisingly easy. If vaping becomes something of a hobby, that is good. Cigarettes were so simple and boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread