Status
Not open for further replies.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Hi and welcome. I don't really have enough info in your post to recommend a specific model, but you'll do well to look into the innokin or Aspire lines for something you think might fit your style. @Baditude 's recommendation of Jac gear is also worth your consideration.

medleypat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2016
Frankfort Indiana
first of the tank is the problem so I would get the mod replaced under warranty and possible put another tank on it the other thing is the coils are what seem to be the problem and if you look on youtube there is vids on how to fix them so with a few min. time work fine. A friend of mine uses smok bb everyday all I do is check his coils for him and have not had any leaks. Also wonder if they fixed the problem because haven't had to repair any in a few months

JLinLA

Jan 3, 2018
I've been vaping for nearly 6 years. Owned over a dozen mods. Worked in a vape shop. Therefore, I feel somewhat qualified to offer advice.

Number one, try to refund your SMOK stuff. And don't buy another SMOK mod. As stated by others, they have lousy quality control. When I worked at the shop we could expect about 1/3 of the mods to act up or die. That's unacceptable.

You didn't give a price range, so I'll recommend what I am currently using. I guarantee you'll love this setup, because I do. ;)

For the mod, I'm using a single battery JAC Vapour series b DNA75W. It's small and sexy, and pocket-friendly (if you remember to turn the mod off -- 5 clicks-- first; the fire button is sensitive). It gets rave reviews both on You Tube and here at ECF JAC Vapour Series-B DNA 75w. The Evolv DNA chip is one of the most reliable on the market. A Samsung 30Q 3000mAh 15 amp 18650 battery lasts me all day.

The Scotish company as been around a long time and is known to be very reputable. Everyone I know that has one loves their JACKIE.

For the tank, I'm using an original Uwell Crown clearomizer tank. Authentic Uwell Crown Sub Ohm Tank Clearomizer . Technically it is a sub-ohm tank, but you don't have to sub-ohm with it. It has 1.2 ohm coils available for it as well as a couple of different sub-ohm coils. It is an easy top fill (4ml capacity). It has a ratcheted air control ring which allows wide open direct lung draws down to a tight mouth-to-lung draw. It has a wide bore mouthpiece, but you can always replace it with any inexpensive small bore mouthpiece if you desire. Great flavor, a lot of vapor. Very versatile for just about any style of vaper. Never had a leaking issue. Available in silver SS and black finish.

Tip: About once a week, put a Q-tip through the mouthpiece down into the coil area. Coils naturally accumulate a bit of gunk from unvaporized sugars in the e-liquid, and removing this substance will prolong the life of the coils and sustain their flavor production. I get up to 4 weeks with my coils.

Good suggestions !How do you think of Innokin Endura series? Compared to SMOK,Innokin is known for good quality.

rob33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
A World Traveler
Welcome to the forum. Do not get discouraged sometimes it could be the device most of the time with a beginner it is the learning curve. I do agree that you have a device that is not suited to start out with. You need something simple easy to operate, and cheap. Get you something you can use, get comfortable, and you will enjoy vaping.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Good evening, new member here, with a total newbie question.

Ive been addicted to nicotine for over a decade going between gum, cigs, losenges, patches and even Chantex. I recently discovered vaping and its fast become my favorite vehicle of nicotine goodness.

Two months ago I bought a vape on a whim after feeling bad about hiding cigarettes from my wife/kids. Its been eye opening to realize that I never considered vaping before, its absolutely wonderful. Unfortunately though, I bought a Smoke 220 which turns out: is a total piece of ..... Its leaked since the first day. Im now getting low ohms errors even without a tank on it. Tried all the fixes and help videos - Im just tired of it frankly. Ive also reading a bunch of bad reviews on it after actually doing research. Its still under warranty so Im covered there. (only vaping 2 months)

Anyhow, I know this gets asked alot here probably, but Im experiencing research fatigue and hope a kind soul can point me in the right direction:

I would like to buy a good vaporizer that works. I dont want it to leak. I dont want to have to upgrade its firmware with confusing directions and broken download links. I would prefer it didnt short out constantly. And lastly, Id like it to actually ******* work. :)

Maybe its fancy, may it isnt fancy -- I just need it to work. Thanks in advance.

There's a lot of opinions on vaping. It goes along with the saying "I am looking for a car that runs"... ask 50 people, and you're likely to get 50 answers.

I'm one that somewhat defends Smok..... Yes, I say somewhat. Smok has quickly become one, if not the, most popular brands out there. They have a wide range of products, and are continually releasing more. You're more than likely going to see tonnes of bad reviews on Smok products.. not necessarily because they're a bad product, but there's just so many of them out there. Smok's policy is to sell inexpensive practical mods, and they do that quite well. However, as a company, I don't see them as a bad company with horrible products, nor do I see them as the top notch company producing the top of the line gear either.

All companies can produce lemons. Evolve made one of their earlier chips that didn't have reverse polarity protection, and if someone put the battery in backwards, it would fry the chip. But I don't hold that against Evolve (the company that produces the DNA series chips). The industry is moving fast, and companies learn and adapt. Evolve now makes one of the top notch chips out there, but they charge a top notch price as well.

I have learned not to trust ANY company, whether it be evolve's DNA chips, or Smok's ecigs. I know of at least three people who use the same setup as you for a while, and they still use it to this day. The TFV8 is a known good design. The crown tank that baditude suggests is also a good one. What I would look at, is the availability of the coils. If you buy online more, then it shouldn't be too much of an issue, but if you decide to buy your coils locally, make sure the store carries those coils. IF you buy a mod, check out their return policy first. The one Baditude suggests probably has a better return policy on Smok. Chinese company's return policies are more geared towards protecting the company rather than satisfying the customer. They're also known for being the most affordable.

I would probably look for a second mod.. of another brand. Still get the alien 220 fixed, but use it as a backup. The issue you described sounds like you had a leaking tank that got into the connector and shorted out the board. I've seen many others have that problem, and I've experienced that myself with both USA and Chinese brands.. it's just a problem with the connector (known as the 510), and the center pin that is spring loaded. The center pin moves, it can allow juice to go through that moving part and possibly (like it did in your case, and mine) get on the electronics causing a short. Since then, I've decided to put a small heat sink between them. It does get rid of the 510's "spring loaded" functionality, but I've had ZERO issues since then.

What do I vape with... I have several mods depending on the time. When I'm out and about, I usually take my dual battery RofVape Warlock Z. It's a new mod for me, a bit quirky, but the only updated 2 battery mod I have. It's not one I'd recommend to a new vaper. I usually take a second single battery mod with it's own atomizer as a backup... either the SMOK Guardian III pipe if I feel like looking like a sir, or an Eleaf Aster which is a small but comfortable mod. At home, I have a 3 battery Wisemec Releaux RX200 simply because it has more battery life, and it doesn't tip over easily. Usually I put the other batteries in for a charge.

For the atomizers, I am into rebuilding my own coils, and rewicking (something I don't recommend to new vapers). It's cheaper, and since I have the Goblin series of atomizers down pat, I manage to get something totally leak proof that fits my vaping style. I vape a .6 to .7 ohm direct lung inhale but with a slightly restricted draw. I am not into chasing clouds, but more for intense flavor, which is what the Golbin excels at.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
havent read thru all the posts ... so some one may have already said this...

its the tank thats leaking not the mod... ;) and also, prebuilt coils are not accurate, they can differ by .05-.1 ohms and be on the low side to boot thus causing a low ohm error... and... mods are built differently and each brand/model have different low ohm cut offs... and from what Ive found, the higher the wattage capacity of the mod, the more sensitive it is to low ohm errors...

tym64

Jul 30, 2017
Sure seems like I see allot of people not liking the Smok, but myself, and friend of mine both use them, they have been rock solid, no issues, and never given either one of us the least bit trouble. I think, most new to vaping, and not doing research, using Smok, because it seems to be the one to go with, I believe allot of the "issues" are caused by carelessness, and not taking care of the mod itself.

They could very well be using the usb charger to charge the battery, they could be doing all kinds of bad things you should never do. So to say "Smok" is not good is not taking into account for the improper use of the mod itself. I myself tend to believe, that some of the "issues" are the direct cause of not using it, or taking care of it properly.

So instead of giving any vaping device a "omg dont use that one!!!" It may be better to explain, no matter which mod you go with, google is your friend, research it, learn how to use it, take care of it.

Cause I did my research on the Smok, and all the "issues" i have seen a few in vape forums swear up and down is a common with the Smok, well Google, says just the opposite. Few vape shops I have been in have not only been selling TONS of the Smok mods, and cant seem to keep them in stock, have nothing really bad to say about them. Common sense would suggest if the Smok was not a decent product, Most vapes shops would never sell them. Cause who is gonna return to do business with any vape shop that sells them a faulty Mod?? Who is gonna wanna do business with a shop that sells sub par equipment, especially with all the vape shops, and online competition they face every day??

Most reviews are giving really positive remarks about the Smok, and yes, you have to take all reviews with a grain of salt. But in the end, if "Smok" was such a sub par device, a simple google search would back up that statement, and forums would be blowing up bad mouthing the product, when in fact, The Smok products seem to be a solid choice, and most vapers not only use them, cant wait they they are back in stock so they can buy another one.

Last edited:

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
Another choice would be the original crown with either the .25Ω or .5Ω coils. I started using these when the original crown came out and the tank has been a solid choice when I use a drop in coil.

And while it is a little larger than some of the mods out there the asMODus Minikin V2 has been a solid mod (I have two)

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Good suggestions !How do you think of Innokin Endura series? Compared to SMOK,Innokin is known for good quality.
Innokin has an excellent reputation for innovative products and quality control. I had the original MVP a few years back; I eventually gave it to my sister as a backup mod when her first iStick fell apart falling off a coffee table, and as far as I know it still works although it doesn't carry a full charge any longer.

I can't really speak specifically about the Endura series as I have no hands on experience with it. I believe my daughter had one and she had issues with the tank leaking, a complaint that I saw on a couple of reviews on You Tube.

Last edited:

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle

Ive been addicted to nicotine for over a decade going between gum, cigs, losenges, patches and even Chantex. I recently discovered vaping and its fast become my favorite vehicle of nicotine goodness.

Two months ago I bought a vape on a whim after feeling bad about hiding cigarettes from my wife/kids. Its been eye opening to realize that I never considered vaping before, its absolutely wonderful. Unfortunately though, I bought a Smoke 220 which turns out: is a total piece of ..... Its leaked since the first day. Im now getting low ohms errors even without a tank on it. Tried all the fixes and help videos - Im just tired of it frankly. Ive also reading a bunch of bad reviews on it after actually doing research. Its still under warranty so Im covered there. (only vaping 2 months)

Anyhow, I know this gets asked alot here probably, but Im experiencing research fatigue and hope a kind soul can point me in the right direction:

I would like to buy a good vaporizer that works. I dont want it to leak. I dont want to have to upgrade its firmware with confusing directions and broken download links. I would prefer it didnt short out constantly. And lastly, Id like it to actually ******* work. :)

Maybe its fancy, may it isnt fancy -- I just need it to work. Thanks in advance.

About the most leak proof Tank I've found that maintains great flavor is from UWell. I rebuild so I have the D2, but the D1 is for factory coils.

D1

The airflow comes from the top, down the sides then comes up from to the bottom of your coils. The best flavor is from bottom air flow. I've never had mine leak nor any issues with weeping. You can find them around at a few places online, just do a google or buy direct from Uwell.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Thank you for the warm welcome, ladies and gentleman. Really appreciate you going out of your way to help me out.

Im really agnostic on this one. If I had to pick, I would prefer a vape a "cloud producing direct lung style". I like the cloud. However, Im also concerned with getting the most nicotine out of each drag. So if the latter isnt the best for nicotine absorption, I would go the first route.

You had me at Scottish. And this device certainly appears to be up my alley in terms of look, ease of use and support-ability (they have a nice website). Available to purchase in the states I presume?

Is it correct to assume that I can leverage both sub ohm and or non-sub OHM? I would really like that because again, the whole OHM thing kind of confuses me. TBH, any time I read OHM I get nervous. The smok I have gives OHM errors now on any tank I put on it. It even gives an OHM error even without a tank on it. Not cool.

Is it available in the states? Only seeing EU sites carrying it. Thats fine, Im jsut a bit impatient about shipping.

Thank you sir, your ramblings were quite helpful as well.

We will put you in the Mod Wompers category then. .. (lol)

Honestly, if your going to be vaping in the 35 - 55 watt range, you will likely be happier with a two battery mod.

There is a lot to choose from, the Smoant Battlestar is really good.

Smoant Battlestar 200w Mod - EightVape

I personally like the Tesla nano 120 but it's not as ergonomic as others in your hand, but it vapes beautiful..

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.fasttech.com/p/amp/6932100

There is also the Vaporshark Hedron is you are into battery life. (Its a three battery mod)

Vapor Shark™ Hedron 200W / 250W Box Mod - Vapor Authority

I build my own coils so others will have to point you to an atty that will work for you.

Here is a great battery video to help you understand your batteries better.

Last edited:

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
If the Jac Vapour tickles your fancy, you might like my current favorite. And it's on sale for only $21.75 right now until 1/31, so I'm thinking of getting another.Wismec SINUOUS P80 TC Box Mod
This is a great size, pocket friendly, does temp control very well, has preheat function that is great. If you only want to do simple wattage, it's really easy to use. But if you're needing a lot of power, a single 18650 battery mod might not be for you, but that's also what the Jac 75 uses. I hear the Jac is great, with the DNA chip, but some don't like how easy it is to pocket fire with the large button. I almost got one myself before checking this one out. You can check out the Sinuous P80 thread here:
SINUOUS P80
upload_2018-1-16_13-2-42-png.713093

There's a learning curve, a gear curve and a nic addiction curve it seems. I started with vape pens and am now using rebuildible drippers and mixing my own liquid. A number of friends have tried vaping, not gotten what they were looking for, and unfortunately, gone back to smoking. But I've pulled two people back from the brink by suggesting the ijust2 tank and any mod that can power it. If you get the ceramic coils the flavor is fantastic. And you get good, strong hits. Stay off the stinkies!

Ralph_K

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2018
I've had a Smok Alien for 2 months but my boss said he had same mod but doesn't work so I guess its rather hit or miss if you get a good one. I don't get it why people just don't return them until they get a good one. To me the smok tanks and coils are crap. I don't get all the love for the prince. Maybe I just don't like the tanks for flavor

art83

Jan 25, 2018
Checking back here -- really appreciate peoples time and thoughtfulness to help me out. I went and bought a Aspire/120 with a Cleito tank. Despite thoroughly researching and prepping it before use, the Cleito tank leaked no matter what I tried...so I bought another cleito tank and so far, so good - it doesnt leak at all, yippee. I got lucky but I wont be singing to the high heavens about how great it is either. Overall Im pretty happy with the purchase. Local shop actually gave me a refund on my broken smok. It wasnt there first problem with selling smok either btw, it was basically no questions asked. So all in all, worked out pretty good for me. (others, not so much)

Regarding Smok...There seems to be some subtle criticism going around my comments re: Smok vs peoples own pleasant experience with the system. I think its great you love Smok. I really wanted to like Smok. Look, Im new to vaping, I didnt try to hide that, no I didnt use the USB charger, yes I made sure the tank was tight and not cross threaded, I literally followed the manual to a T when I got the thing... nothing stopped its leak. I cleaned it thoroughly when it did leak (i.e. common sense liquid vs electronics, I mean cmon). There is a lot of chatter online and unfitting 5 star reviews for smok that really dont mesh with the myriad of bad reviews and problem threads Ive seen (via google by the way). If you had a problem with your smok and were tasked with researching it, youd see the same things I read, I assure you. For someone new to vaping its daunting to understand what to trust and what not to trust. Google prioritizes big reviewers and is focused on monetizing for its customers so thats a poor argument imo. Like any consumer I just expect better, for a $75-$85 rig, I dont think its too much to ask to have a coherent website behind the mod, some decent user experience around updating, a manual that actually covers everything, I mean, this leaves much to be desired frankly imo.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Checking back here -- really appreciate peoples time and thoughtfulness to help me out. I went and bought a Aspire/120 with a Cleito tank. Despite thoroughly researching and prepping it before use, the Cleito tank leaked no matter what I tried...so I bought another cleito tank and so far, so good - it doesnt leak at all, yippee. I got lucky but I wont be singing to the high heavens about how great it is either. Overall Im pretty happy with the purchase. Local shop actually gave me a refund on my broken smok. It wasnt there first problem with selling smok either btw, it was basically no questions asked. So all in all, worked out pretty good for me. (others, not so much)

Regarding Smok...There seems to be some subtle criticism going around my comments re: Smok vs peoples own pleasant experience with the system. I think its great you love Smok. I really wanted to like Smok. Look, Im new to vaping, I didnt try to hide that, no I didnt use the USB charger, yes I made sure the tank was tight and not cross threaded, I literally followed the manual to a T when I got the thing... nothing stopped its leak. I cleaned it thoroughly when it did leak (i.e. common sense liquid vs electronics, I mean cmon). There is a lot of chatter online and unfitting 5 star reviews for smok that really dont mesh with the myriad of bad reviews and problem threads Ive seen (via google by the way). If you had a problem with your smok and were tasked with researching it, youd see the same things I read, I assure you. For someone new to vaping its daunting to understand what to trust and what not to trust. Google prioritizes big reviewers and is focused on monetizing for its customers so thats a poor argument imo. Like any consumer I just expect better, for a $75-$85 rig, I dont think its too much to ask to have a coherent website behind the mod, some decent user experience around updating, a manual that actually covers everything, I mean, this leaves much to be desired frankly imo.

It's not you... don't worry. Lots of people here absolutely hate smok because it's hit and miss with them, I don't think they have a grand quality control to be honest..

So because there is smok hate, there is also those who want to counter that with smok love.. don't ask me why...

you just found yourself in the middle of deep feelings, apparently. Water off a ducks back.. your correct in what you said.

Happy you found something that's working for you.

Frankiesfight

Feb 9, 2018

Hi! I’m new too! I have a pico I-/stick and hubby is using the joytech dolphin. Both are decent and getting the job done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread