New Vaper - Can't build dual coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke49783

Verified Member
Mar 25, 2014
Holland, MI
Hey All,

My fiancée and I started vaping a couple of weeks ago as a means of getting off of analogs. It worked for her with a cig-a-like for about 6 weeks last year, so I figured we'd give it another shot. I've picked up a couple of 1000mah Evod VVs, a pair of Mini Protank 2s, and a pair of Mini Protank 3s and so far it's helping. We aren't completely analog free, but it's taken a big dent out. Pretty soon, I think she'll be ready to be analog free, I'm just waiting on her at this point.

I started rebuilding the Mini Protank 2 coils after the first week since it looked relatively easy based on a couple of youtube videos and I'm liking the results much more than the stock coils. Cotton is SO much better!

After picking up the Mini Protank 3s a week ago, I tried to rebuild one of them over the weekend. The issue that I'm running into is that once I've got it put back together, the airflow is TERRIBLE. It's probably a consequence of the flavor wick between the coils being too large, but I'm not sure how much smaller I can go while still keeping the coils separate.

Anyone have experience rebuilding these coils?

ConConCon

Mar 26, 2014
OH
I scrapped the dual coils in my pt3 and put a single micr coil with cotton. No leak and works like a champ. Try a single in there I say.

I completely agree, when rebuilding protanks, just use single coils no need to use duals. The flavor/vapor/throat hit difference is too negligible to even tell the difference. Remember with protanks the cups are small to use for coils/wicks keep that in mind when you are cutting your cotton. If you need a reference take a look at a coil unit out of the package for the amount of silica they use in theirs.
I have found using a little less cotton than you think for a protank is generally a good idea, more airflow to the coil from the suction means more juice to the wicks IE more juice to the coil and thus more flavor/vapor/throat hit.

coalyard

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Rome, NY, USA
Dual coils in a PT?!? No. Just no. At least for me. I would go banannas trying to squeeze 2 coils in there! That being said, the difference in the PT with a solid build wicked with cotton is so significant, I can't imagine it getting much better. It's one of the reasons I never sprung for a PT3 over my PT2's; the basic design is so much the same, I couldn't imagine 2 coils being better, especially stock ones from Kanger.

If it's any indication just how good a PT with a solid rebuilt coil is, I recently got a dual coil RDA and a Kayfun. My PT's are not gathering any dust, and they won't be anytime soon.

chapeltown

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2013
United States
It is fantastic to see that you have made it so far so fast in your vaping journey!

A lot of us (myself included) take months before we are even brave enough to build one protank single coil! The fact that you are doing dual coils is amazing!
That having been said, Cotton is a tricky medium. I have found that it is a very fine line between too much and too little.

What kind of cotton are you using? Cotton balls/rolled or Yarn?

I have found the most success with using a combination of both. I use three (out of four) strands of peaches and cream yarn (boiled three times) for inside the coil, and a little bit of sterile rolled cotton for my flavor wick.

chapeltown

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2013
United States
Thanks chapeltown! I went to school for Computer Engineering, so the electrical side of things made sense right away, otherwise I probably would have been more hesitant about it.

I've been using cotton balls. I'll give boiled cotton yarn a shot for inside the coils. What gauge wire and coil diameter are you using?

Sorry I did not see this sooner. I use a 1/16th drill bit, and have had a lot of success with 30 and 32 Guage kanthal. I actually half buried my drill bit into a fat wooden dowel so that I would have a good handle. It works beautifully. Here's a picture:
datuseby.jpg

from my galaxy s4

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread