New/upgraded protank dual coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

LJFinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2014
SW Florida
The difference between the old and new Kanger PT3/Aero coils is that in the updated ones the wicks are enclosed like the aspire ones. I took some apart today to rebuild. The ones where the wick cover has two holes on each side do not come apart and the chimney post breaks when you try to separate it from the base. The ones that had one slit on each side did infact come apart. The base is just like the exposed wicks with a sleeve that slides over the base and the top chimney holds it in place. then you build it as you wish. Either duel coils or one coil. I wish I had taken pictures to show you but I'm sure there is a video on you tube. Hope this helps.

gt4awd

Jul 13, 2014
New Mexico, USA
Pick up some of the original dual coil attys for PT3, and save to rebuild into a single lower ohm. The dual coil is nice until any saturation beings and there is a major loss in flavor/vapor. The secondary coil on top begins the burn the vapor production of the lower coil. Nice thing about the dual coil attys is more room the build into a single coil... FYI I eliminate the secondary coil with an extra flavor wick. One main wick into the coil, and two flavor wicks on top.

jojocode

Verified Member
Jun 18, 2014
London
Thanks guys. I'm actually saving my "original" pt2 heads for when I want to rebuild. Thankfully, the site I buy from still stocks both (with the originals being cheaper!) and as I've had no issues with them I'll continue to buy them while I can.

Did someone say you can rebuild pt3 heads with a single coil? Does that mean that they fit in to the pt2s? I only have one mini pt3 and it's been sat with cheap juice in it since I got it because I'm currently loved up on all the nice stuff in my pt2s :)

LJFinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2014
SW Florida
Does that mean that you can't rebuild the new style of attys? Damm!... I just got a protank that has an "upgraded" mark on the box and the extra attys that I bought also say "upgraded" on the invoice... hum...

Regards
Tony

Like I said the ones that have 2 air holes on each side seem to break when you try to take the chimney off. The ones that have just a slot on each side have come apart for me.

LJFinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2014
SW Florida
Thanks guys. I'm actually saving my "original" pt2 heads for when I want to rebuild. Thankfully, the site I buy from still stocks both (with the originals being cheaper!) and as I've had no issues with them I'll continue to buy them while I can.

Did someone say you can rebuild pt3 heads with a single coil? Does that mean that they fit in to the pt2s? I only have one mini pt3 and it's been sat with cheap juice in it since I got it because I'm currently loved up on all the nice stuff in my pt2s :)

Yes you can put either a duel coil or a single coil in PT 3 coil and as far as I know you can not use a PT3 coil in a PT2

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
Bah :( I just checked my stash and sure enough... all my replacement heads are the "new" style... not only have they only two holes instead of two slots but they also don't have that top silicon colar... so the only "rebuildable" head I've left is the one that I'm using right now... dammit. I was hoping that I could rebuild them and now that idea is gone. Even if I rebuild the one I still have, once that top silicon colar or the lower insulator goes bad, I'm done.

I just want to cry :(

Regards
Tony

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
wow, didn't know you could get them like that! Thank you! Just a shame its a US based shop (Im in old europe) BUT its exactly what I needed to invest some time in rebuilding the one I have and if it goes well, I will order a bunch of them.

Probably some people are going to wonder why I just don't go with an RBA if I'm so itching in rebuilding... well, I considered it but: a) I like mini style tanks like the protank 3 mini and the Kayfun mini 2.1 b) The only mini RBA I know in that size is precisely the Kayfun mini 2.1 and even if I could afford it (which I can't... I'm from Portugal, hello? :) )... it comes with a plastic tube (I'm ignoring the SS one since I want to see the liquid) which is something I definitely don't like. A clone would solve the money issue but I read that most of them leak (Even heard complaints about the original leaking) so the protank mini is the most appealing right now if it wheren't for those damm new heads.... glass, mini and doesn't leak :)

Regards and thank you very much for the info

Tony

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
Check here for the individual parts to build your own.

Just did my first ever rebuild and the result was absolute success. I'm sold to rebuilding the coils myself. :) I opted to make a single coil with 7/6 turns with kanthal 29 awg A1 and used 4 strands of 1mm ekowool (1 under, 2 inside and 1 on top). Came out at 1.8 Ohms... geat vapor, great taste... I love it.

Now I was ready to get myself a few assemblies but... that store you linked, seems to be great but there is one small problem... I just tried to order a pack of 25 of those assemblies and guess what... they don't seem to ship to Portugal :( :( :(

Tony

Last edited:

jojocode

Verified Member
Jun 18, 2014
London
Hi tchavei,

Try myepack, they still sell the old-style coils: Kanger Dual Coil Head - Accessories

Good luck!

And congrats on your first rebuild - every time I read of someone making the leap I'm tempted even more - I just need more discarded coils to work from, as I only have about 3 - but 15 spares. Once I'm nearing the end of those I might have read enough posts to attempt it myself :)

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
Thanks for the link. I can get some old style attys on this side of the pond but it would be cheaper getting just the assemblies... problem is that it seems that nobody in the world besides that store carries them. Oh well, will have to keep trying. I sent an email to the store, maybe they'll be nice and send it to me anyway... don't know. Some stores are quite helpful sometimes, other gernerally arn't. Lets see how it goes.

About the coil rebuild... its pretty easy as long as you work slowly and carefully. One thing that seems quite important and is overlooked on most tutorials is that you need to snip off the excess of the coil legs very very close to the base and pin. Even if you cut it that way, there is a risk than when you screw the finished atty on the battery, the pin will start to rotate (which is normal) but if the cut leg is a izzy tiny too long, it will hold on the pin and rotate also... so basically you will twist the coil alignment without knowing varing the resistance, and in worst case scenario, short the thing... so solve the problem, you need to remove the pin again, cut the wire a little more and slowly insert the pin again... problem solved.

Best Regards
Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread