New vaper, possibly accidentally-on-purpose ex-smoker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaka

ECF Veteran
May 2, 2010
Texas
These forums have been absolutely invaluable the last couple of weeks.

I actually started researching ecigs for a friend who really wanted to turn an enforced cigarette hiatus (hospital stay) into a successful quit, but returned to smoking. She'd tried an "e-cigarette" but found it didn't kill her nicotine cravings and tasted bad, and although she had thought it had potential to help her quit, she was ultimately unsuccessful in replacing her tobacco and clove smoking with what was little more than an inert plastic tube. After hearing about how disappointing her ecig experience was, I thought there must surely be a better version out there and jumped into high-intensity GoogleFu mode. I kept ending up here, and kept learning. End result: I think I may have _accidentally_ quit smoking.

I've been smoking for almost 20 years; my record high was 6 packs a day. The psychology of my addiction is based in part on independence/rebellion; any suggestion that I should quit, internal or external, sends me running outside for a nice chain-smoking session just to prove/reassure myself that I can. Being without cigarettes generates panic. Being asked not to smoke here/now/so much makes me angrily critical in return. I'm not a good candidate for deciding to quit; even my doctor has given up really trying to get me to.

As I researched for my friend, I thought vaping sounded kind of fun. Tastier. Less stinky. Maybe I could add a vice... Less fatal. Maybe I could add a vice and accidentally-without-letting-myself-think-about-it reduce my actual tobacco smoking, without missing the nicotine or missing the physical, psychological, and social rituals. And without making myself angry at myself.

My friend was also told to give up her favorite soda, immediately, as an urgent health concern. She was struggling, feeling that giving up cigarettes _and_ her signature beverage was just too much to ask. I had seen cola-flavored ecig liquids and catridges mentioned here, so I set myself a mission to find her favorite flavor as vapor. In the process of finding it, and researching how to get it into her ecig, I discovered how truly abysmal an example of PVs her Smoke Assist is and how easy it would be to set her up with a better ecig experience. I also kept finding stories of people who had found quitting analogs easy and even pleasant by vaping instead. Great! That supported her initial optimism for the method. I very specifically didn't think too hard about my own addiction. That would spoil everything...

I bought a small Volcano starter kit: one battery, one atomizer, PCC, 25 carts. I chose "Blank" as one cart flavor, threw in a USB passthrough, and allocated the rest of two weeks' analog cig-money to flavors of liquid for the blanks. All in the name of _adding_ a vice - a more convenient alternative that might also help my friend quit smoking if I could find and provide her a better experience.

I haven't had a cigarette since the Volcano arrived. I knew I would initially be too entranced with the newness of all the flavors - four arriving with the kit, and another dozen or so sample sized spaced out over the next week - to feel much interest in the boring old tobacco-smoke version of my habit. I was sure I could distract myself from analogs enough to make it up in my budget and break even. I hoped in the secret recesses of my mind that I would trip over the same accident I'd read of others encountering. Adding a vice. Not quitting anything.

I'm hardly a tried-and-true ex-smoker after one week. But this is new and different... five days ago, I forgot to put a lighter in my back pocket. I had no form of fire on me for two days before I realized it. I'd been carrying my smokes, but had no way to light them. But I didn't feel my normal panic at the realization. I didn't care at all. But when I read that atomizers can break down - _then_ I panicked and ordered two more immediately! From everything I've experienced over the last four days, my addiction has transferred completely. Addictions, plural, I should say. Hand-to-mouth, the escapism of stepping outside, the social aspects of smoking and chatting with a smoker friend... all completely reassociated themselves to vaping instead. And _I want to not smoke_. Before, I would say that "I want to be quit, I just don't want to do the quitting." Now, I like the idea of quitting, because it seems so... done. Past tense. I painlessly, effortlessly distracted myself long enough to start regaining my senses of smell and taste, to run without gasping, to jog up stairs without dizziness, to wake up without chest pain and coughing. Now cigarette smoke and butts smell vile and the only reason I can imagine lighting up one of my remaining pack and bringing back all the awfulness I just escaped is a failure of all my PV equipment. (I've since added another Volcano battery & atomizer, three Sideshos, and a Janty Stick, and a Vapor King is in the mail. I'm in IT; I believe in multiple redundancy for critical systems.)

I really think I've done it. I didn't quit smoking, I just developed a stronger preference for something tastier, more convenient, cheaper, and decidedly less fatal.

So... thanks for existing, for being so full of information, so willing to share personal stories of "forgetting to smoke" for months or years. The inventors, manufacturers, and vendors are making a potentially life-saving product available, but it's the consumer communities like this one that bridge the gap between theory and real success.

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
yup you said it - didnt quit just liked this better. Same here :) I still dont HATE cigs, they aren't like, the anti-christ or something, but this is just better. Tastes better, I like the vapor better, I can breathe better and I smell better.
I love my 510 - I do sometimes get a bit panicky if I think I might run out of any of the bits (I hate when I kill a PT as I currently have no big battery mod and would be stuck changing out my 510 standard batts every hour or less); but i have enough juice for you, me AND your friend for months LOL
GJ, and welcome to ECF :)

portguy

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2010
Portugal
These forums have been absolutely invaluable the last couple of weeks.

I actually started researching ecigs for a friend who really wanted to turn an enforced cigarette hiatus (hospital stay) into a successful quit, but returned to smoking. She'd tried an "e-cigarette" but found it didn't kill her nicotine cravings and tasted bad, and although she had thought it had potential to help her quit, she was ultimately unsuccessful in replacing her tobacco and clove smoking with what was little more than an inert plastic tube. After hearing about how disappointing her ecig experience was, I thought there must surely be a better version out there and jumped into high-intensity GoogleFu mode. I kept ending up here, and kept learning. End result: I think I may have _accidentally_ quit smoking.

I've been smoking for almost 20 years; my record high was 6 packs a day. The psychology of my addiction is based in part on independence/rebellion; any suggestion that I should quit, internal or external, sends me running outside for a nice chain-smoking session just to prove/reassure myself that I can. Being without cigarettes generates panic. Being asked not to smoke here/now/so much makes me angrily critical in return. I'm not a good candidate for deciding to quit; even my doctor has given up really trying to get me to.

As I researched for my friend, I thought vaping sounded kind of fun. Tastier. Less stinky. Maybe I could add a vice... Less fatal. Maybe I could add a vice and accidentally-without-letting-myself-think-about-it reduce my actual tobacco smoking, without missing the nicotine or missing the physical, psychological, and social rituals. And without making myself angry at myself.

My friend was also told to give up her favorite soda, immediately, as an urgent health concern. She was struggling, feeling that giving up cigarettes _and_ her signature beverage was just too much to ask. I had seen cola-flavored ecig liquids and catridges mentioned here, so I set myself a mission to find her favorite flavor as vapor. In the process of finding it, and researching how to get it into her ecig, I discovered how truly abysmal an example of PVs her Smoke Assist is and how easy it would be to set her up with a better ecig experience. I also kept finding stories of people who had found quitting analogs easy and even pleasant by vaping instead. Great! That supported her initial optimism for the method. I very specifically didn't think too hard about my own addiction. That would spoil everything...

I bought a small Volcano starter kit: one battery, one atomizer, PCC, 25 carts. I chose "Blank" as one cart flavor, threw in a USB passthrough, and allocated the rest of two weeks' analog cig-money to flavors of liquid for the blanks. All in the name of _adding_ a vice - a more convenient alternative that might also help my friend quit smoking if I could find and provide her a better experience.

I haven't had a cigarette since the Volcano arrived. I knew I would initially be too entranced with the newness of all the flavors - four arriving with the kit, and another dozen or so sample sized spaced out over the next week - to feel much interest in the boring old tobacco-smoke version of my habit. I was sure I could distract myself from analogs enough to make it up in my budget and break even. I hoped in the secret recesses of my mind that I would trip over the same accident I'd read of others encountering. Adding a vice. Not quitting anything.

I'm hardly a tried-and-true ex-smoker after one week. But this is new and different... five days ago, I forgot to put a lighter in my back pocket. I had no form of fire on me for two days before I realized it. I'd been carrying my smokes, but had no way to light them. But I didn't feel my normal panic at the realization. I didn't care at all. But when I read that atomizers can break down - _then_ I panicked and ordered two more immediately! From everything I've experienced over the last four days, my addiction has transferred completely. Addictions, plural, I should say. Hand-to-mouth, the escapism of stepping outside, the social aspects of smoking and chatting with a smoker friend... all completely reassociated themselves to vaping instead. And _I want to not smoke_. Before, I would say that "I want to be quit, I just don't want to do the quitting." Now, I like the idea of quitting, because it seems so... done. Past tense. I painlessly, effortlessly distracted myself long enough to start regaining my senses of smell and taste, to run without gasping, to jog up stairs without dizziness, to wake up without chest pain and coughing. Now cigarette smoke and butts smell vile and the only reason I can imagine lighting up one of my remaining pack and bringing back all the awfulness I just escaped is a failure of all my PV equipment. (I've since added another Volcano battery & atomizer, three Sideshos, and a Janty Stick, and a Vapor King is in the mail. I'm in IT; I believe in multiple redundancy for critical systems.)

I really think I've done it. I didn't quit smoking, I just developed a stronger preference for something tastier, more convenient, cheaper, and decidedly less fatal.

So... thanks for existing, for being so full of information, so willing to share personal stories of "forgetting to smoke" for months or years. The inventors, manufacturers, and vendors are making a potentially life-saving product available, but it's the consumer communities like this one that bridge the gap between theory and real success.

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

I think anyone thinking of banning e-cigs should read this post.

mick11

ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Dallas, TX
Welcome Jaka and congratulations on your "accident"......you did an outstanding job describing your experience.

I must say that, as I am one of the extremely fortunate ones for whom this just worked....immediately, I thought I was just weird or that I had played some mind game with myself that wouldn't be able to be replicated for others. Now my son has managed almost a month analog free (it wasn't automatic or instant for him but he just kept vaping and it happened); my brother, who I could never imagine even trying vaping (especially since it was my idea) is down to a couple cigs a day vs. a couple packs; the smoking area at work is never free from at least one vaper, and that's with most not bothering with going out at all...........it just keeps snowballing.

I sincerely hope that at least one person reads Jaka's post who is still on the fence about trying an e-cig. For the cost of one carton of analogs, you MIGHT just completely change your life without much effort. As a poker player I gotta say, with a risk/reward like that....I'm ALLIN on this pot......and you should CALL!!!

VAPE ON!

Jaka

ECF Veteran
May 2, 2010
Texas
But what about your friend? Did she also switch to vaping?

Not exactly, yet, but that's mostly my fault. I was originally going to give her this Volcano I'm puffing on right now. The Volcano kit arrived last Wednesday, but she couldn't come visit until the weekend. I had planned to use the interval to get the battery and PCC charged and the atomizer broken in for her so her first impression could be a better one, and to get some practice filling cartridges so I could surprise her with Mountain Dew flavored nicotine. Instead, I was thoroughly attached to my new vice by Wednesday night, so her visit was more "let me know if you like this and I'll get you one too" than "here, take this home with you."

I've bought a Sidesho for her, and am driving it out to her tomorrow night, so here's hoping...!

Jaka

ECF Veteran
May 2, 2010
Texas
It's a real shame we can't break in to all of the FDA's, ALA's, and ASH's offices and wallpaper their offices with testimonials like this one.

I sincerely hope that at least one person reads Jaka's post who is still on the fence about trying an e-cig. For the cost of one carton of analogs, you MIGHT just completely change your life without much effort.

I think anyone thinking of banning e-cigs should read this post.

This is pretty much why I wrote up the whole story instead of just "Hi, I'm new, wanna post my newbie quota, bye!" - it really was so easy it was almost literally an accident to quit analogs by vaping. All I had to do was be willing to go along with it, and keep my pigheaded rebelliousness from interfering. I never had to even decide to quit, let alone try; I just allowed myself to choose the more attractive option of vaping every time the urge to light up came over me until the urge to light up a cigarette, specifically, went away and the urge to vape replaced it. That took maybe three days, maximum. I smoke(d) American Spirits, so I didn't have any MAOI additives or theobromine addictions to deal with, just nicotine and habits; it might not be that quick and easy for everyone. But half as easy as I had it would still be easier than anything else I'd tried.

In the research I did I kept coming across the FDA's FUD and the awful game of telephone the media played with it, and every time I came to this forum I saw the banners about NY state legislation and the surveys. I took the surveys, and today I signed the petition, because honestly I'm a little scared.

I'm not a nonsmoker yet. I'm not really an ex-smoker yet. I'm just a smoker who's been distracted by a shinier habit. If that new habit gets banned, I'm right back to killing myself. I have no illusions about that. I'm still addicted to nicotine; I use it to self-medicate for ADHD, arthritis, chronic fatigue, and depression.

There are a bunch of arguments against smoking that make plenty of sense, but over the last couple of decades they seem to have degraded into a bunch of semihysterical snippets of dogma: smoke is bad for everyone; smokers are bad people for exposing themselves and those around them; nicotine is bad for addicting smokers to smoke so they won't just quit like we think it's so patently obvious they should; and therefore anything short of total intolerance for nicotine addiction and nicotine addicts is a disservice to humanity, while any amount of taxation, alienation, or demonization smokers experience is their just reward for the sin of smoking.

If the sensible arguments against smoking - the cost in human lives and quality of life - were the real issue, the agencies and purportedly-compassionate activists would be setting up five subsidized e-cigarette stands for every methodone clinic, trying to help smokers separate their relatively harmless nicotine addiction and physical/social/psychological habits from the genuinely harmful delivery method of smoking tobacco.

Instead, we hear that vaping isn't appropriate as a smoking-cessation aid or harm-reduction device because it doesn't require giving up nicotine (never mind all the people now just as chronically addicted to gum or patches instead) - as if my nicotine intake, not its delivery method, were making other people sick!

We hear that e-cigs could be a gateway to smoking tobacco, when the overwhelming majority of anecdotal evidence points the other way - it's not a gateway in, it's a doorway out.

We hear that tasty flavors are intended to appeal to children, presumably to addict them to nicotine and turn them into smokers - when not only do adults also enjoy fruit or beverage or dessert flavors, that may in some cases be what makes vaping more appealing and helps them quit smoking!

We do not hear the anti-smokers and FDA saying, "We know it's as tough to give up nicotine as it is to give up ....... We feel compassion for those addicted to nicotine, who until now have only had carcinogenic delivery methods available. We are excited to explore this alternative that may allow them to wean from their addiction or not, as they choose, with minimum harm to themselves and others either way." Yet it seems like that's what we would hear - from anyone who truly had our (and our families') best interests at heart, as these organizations claim to.

Instead, it seems that the idea of a device that makes nicotine addiction anything short of life-threatening and nicotine indulgence anything less than demonstrably despicable, allowing nicotine addicts to exercise a personal choice to remain addicted without causing harm or deserving vilification, somehow makes these organizations feel so threatened that they completely overlook how easy e-cigs make it for even firmly-entrenched smokers to do just what they've been asking us to do - quit smoking. Quit deliberately generating, inhaling, and exhaling smoke. It's as though they find the potential loss of justification for their zero-tolerance zealotry more threatening than the cost of the very human lives they purport to be defending!

Sorry, bit of a rant there. Ahem.

Anyway... yeah, I wrote it up the way I did to emphasize certain points. I did not intend to quit (although I have always hoped to). I didn't even have to decide to quit (although we all know a firm decision and a firm quit date are the first step). The tasty, tasty flavors were a major factor in how easy it was (especially the candy ones). I didn't even realize I had quit at first. I didn't threatened or depressed by the imminent prospect of giving up cigarettes, so the panic/rebellion trigger was never activated - the thing that's thrown off all my quit attempts to date.

I did leave out certain other, possibly pertinent details: I have tried to quit before; I have tried to quit with my doctor's assistance; I have taken Zyban and used nicotine patches and gone cold turkey and tapered to one cigarette a day until my nicotine addiction was completely gone, and still come back every time for psychological reasons, not nicotine addiction. Even if I taper to zero nicotine (if I can give up self-medicating as noted above), I'll probably vape for life to satisfy the physical and psychological habits that kept bringing me back to smoking before. But all that stuff is in the statistics already, and statistics over a large representative sample speak far louder than my anecdote could on those points.

What the statistics don't show is the dizzying ease of it. I tripped over a four-inch-long tube of chocolate vapor and fell across the finish line. Now I want anyone who's where my friend and I were a week ago to know it can happen that way.

I also want anyone who wants to ban vaping to know that smokers are lying tied to the railroad tracks, there's a train coming, and this proposed ban will kick away the knife we're trying to cut the ropes with - just because you think, from your safe distance, that it would be better if we'd make the extra effort to untie the knots instead.

So, um... yeah. Glad to get that across. :)

Jonmo1

ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2010
Bryan, TX
I loved that story Jaka. Hope your friend get's off the tobacco too.

I had something similar, but not doing it for a friend..
I stepped into vaping with a thought like "I'm not quitting, I don't want to quit. I'm just switching Brands".
That worked wonders.
My very first inhale from an Ecig actually felt warm and a little harsh like a real cigarette.
I was impressed
My second inhale actually made me cough.
I was convinced, this is my new brand of cigarettes.
And the best part, my new brand of cigarettes doesn't cause cancer. Woo Hoo.

And by the way, Mountain Dew Flavor?? Really, you must tell me where you got that.
That is my 2nd addiction.

Jaka

ECF Veteran
May 2, 2010
Texas
And by the way, Mountain Dew Flavor?? Really, you must tell me where you got that.

Yeah, I missed the Mountain Dew Flavor part.. Where's it from?

I got it from vapor4life.com - I don't think I can link yet, but it's in their 5 ml liquids catalog as "Mount Do". I can't find it in the 30ml size, which will make my friend very sad. I thought it tasted like grapefruit, but I may have had traces of spearmint lingering in my atomizer. She swears it's just like the real thing, only calorie-, caffeine-, and artificial-sweetener-free.

Last edited:

Jaka

ECF Veteran
May 2, 2010
Texas
I loved that story Jaka. Hope your friend get's off the tobacco too.

I had something similar, but not doing it for a friend..
I stepped into vaping with a thought like "I'm not quitting, I don't want to quit. I'm just switching Brands".
That worked wonders.
My very first inhale from an Ecig actually felt warm and a little harsh like a real cigarette.
I was impressed
My second inhale actually made me cough.
I was convinced, this is my new brand of cigarettes.
And the best part, my new brand of cigarettes doesn't cause cancer. Woo Hoo.

New brand... I like that! I had to be really careful not to imply to myself that I couldn't have tobacco any more, or I'd have just gone out and chain-smoked half a pack. Something in me is just that perverse and contrarian. But if I'd been better able to squarely face the idea that I was replacing my tobacco, not just "supplementing" it into obsolescence, that would've been a great way to think of it. I'm going to try that one on my friend - she's a lot better able to face the decision to quit than I was.

It took me several drags to get the feel of how hard to pull on my ecig, especially since I was starting with an l88b (Volcano, same as Sidesho, Blu, et al) and it's easy to overwhelm those poor little guys so you get all air and no vapor in the mix. But somewhere during my second cartridge, I got a hit I couldn't hold - too big and too harsh - and coughed it back out. I smoke(d) American Spirits, and cut the filters if I'm stressed, so (like you) I was pretty impressed that a little chocolate-scented steam could leave me sputtering like that. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread