New Vaper, Trying to reduce smoking. Help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

MakinTosH

Mar 27, 2018
Hey! my first post.

Just got my first vape today. It's eleaf Invoke. Also the guy that explained everything to me offered me to get FREEMAX FIRELUKE MESH SUB-OHM tank . The problem is that after some research (yeah I had to do more before purchasing..) I found out that subohm is more dangerous and has a higher temperature of the smoke.

As I'm trying to drop my daily cigs to none eventually, I'm seeking more healthy alternative. Would I be better getting something like ASPIRE nautilus 2 with 1.8Ohms?

Thanks.

alvitae

ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2009
Oregon Usa
As far as danger goes it's the mech (mechanical) mods that you want to stay away from until you're well versed in both battery safety, ohms law and how to test the resistance of your coils. Mech mods have no safety features.

You'll want to go with a regulated mod. They have chips in them that have safety features such as low voltage cut off, low atomizer resistance cut off, reverse polarity protection etc.

Sub ohm devices are also called DTL. For direct to lung draw.

Then you have devices that are designed for higher ohm coils that are made for MTL or mouth to lung. The draw is more restricted, The smoking action mimics Cigarette and they are typically used with a higher nicotine level liquid.

Ultimately you have to choose which vaping style pleases you best. But a good MTL device with higher nicotine is what got a lot of people off the cigarettes. It worked for me a number of years ago anyway.

Edit: Aspire makes a good starter product I think. I have several old aspire mods that still work.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Hey! my first post.

Just got my first vape today. It's Eleaf Invoke. Also the guy that explained everything to me offered me to get FREEMAX FIRELUKE MESH SUB-OHM TANK . The problem is that after some research (yeah I had to do more before purchasing..) I found out that subohm is more dangerous and has a higher temperature of the smoke.

As I'm trying to drop my daily cigs to none eventually, I'm seeking more healthy alternative. Would I be better getting something like ASPIRE NAUTILUS 2 with 1.8Ohms?

Thanks.
Welcome to ECF. You have a good device in the Invoke. Fireluke Mesh is a decent tank, but not for a new vaper imo. I would recommend a Kanger Toptank since you don't yet know how you will prefer to vape. Good coils and flavor, versatile af (air flow) to play with. This tank is proven and has helped many find what they will enjoy moving forward.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Just got my first vape today. It's Eleaf Invoke. Also the guy that explained everything to me offered me to get FREEMAX FIRELUKE MESH SUB-OHM TANK . The problem is that after some research (yeah I had to do more before purchasing..) I found out that subohm is more dangerous and has a higher temperature of the smoke.

Would I be better getting something like ASPIRE NAUTILUS 2 with 1.8Ohms?
Welcome to ECF. :thumbs:

What is "sub ohm" vaping? Becoming more and more popular in the last couple of years, sub ohm vaping means using heating coils with a resistance of 1.0 ohm or lower. Basically what this does is produce more vapor and more dense vapor, and arguably better flavor ... at the expense of consuming more e-liquid and battery power. Sub ohm vaping requires the use of a mechanical mod or a high wattage regulated mod. Ego batteries or low power variable wattage regulated mods don't have the amperage output to fire a sub-ohm coil.

It took me a year or more to adjust to sub-ohm vaping, it was just too warm to my liking. It's currently become my preference so it was something that I "grew" into. It typically requires using an atomizer device with a more wide open air draw, or DTL (direct to lung).

Most new vapers want a vaping experience closer to smoking a cigarette. This would be an atomizer device which has a more restrictive, tighter air draw, or MTL (mouth to lung) style of draw.

As a new vaper, I believe you'd be much happier with an atomizer device which uses a standard ohm coil resistance (over 1 ohm) and a more restrictive MTL draw. In general:

Lower Ohm Coils Will:
  • Thicker wire (more mass) heats slower than thinner wire
  • Produce More Vapor
  • Drain The Battery Faster
  • Use E-Juice Faster
  • Produce A Warmer Tasting Vape
Higher Ohm Coils Will:
  • Thinner wire (less mass) heats faster than thicker wire
  • Produce “Less” Vapor
  • Provide A “Cooler” Tasting Vape
  • Use Less E-Juice
  • Prolong Battery Life

I've heard very mixed reviews of the Aspire Nautilus 2 tanks. Newer often does not mean better. I think you'd be better off getting the original Aspire Nautilus. It's been around for years and many vapers are still using them. Proven over time. It's a MTL style tank that uses higher ohm coils.

I'll also suggest that you look at the original Uwell Crown tank. Technically its a sub-ohm tank, but they do give you the option to use their 1.25 ohm coils. It can be adjusted for either a MTL or DTL draw with its ratcheted air control ring. You can read my extensive review of this tank here: Tanks & RDA's Ratings & Explanations . Like the Aspire Nautilus 2, I've read mixed reviews of the Crown 2, 3, and Valarian tanks by Uwell.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Thanks for this! I'm getting then Nautilus 2. Currently I have LIQUA juice (3mg) and it vapes away too quickly with my setup. Also the vapour is reaaly thick... I'm not use to this compared to rolling tobacco.

So now I also need to change the juice. Is 12mg good choice and what VG/PG should I look for?
Thanks for this! I'm getting then Nautilus 2. Currently I have LIQUA juice (3mg) and it vapes away too quickly with my setup. Also the vapour is reaaly thick... I'm not use to this compared to rolling tobacco.

So now I also need to change the juice. Is 12mg good choice and what VG/PG should I look for?
the Nautilus 2 Or Original Are Very Good To Transition. 12mg Might Be Perfect, But If You Feel Like You Still Arent Getting Enough, A Higher Nic Juice May Be Required. 18mg Is Usually Average For A Mtl Device.

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Hi Welcome to ECF. I did find myself not to be a sub0hmer personally, but everyone is different.

The Nautilus 2 was my quitting tank, I have since moved on to other MTL tanks but my husband is currently quitting with my N2 tanks. It's a good choice for a first MTL tank.

As far as nicotine, everyone needs something a little bit different. I landed on 18 mg/ml nicotine (and was a 3 ppd smoker). Some folks need to go even higher in the beginning, it's really subjective. I'd say 12 is the lowest I'd go during the quit phase (unless you were a fairly light smoker). You could try ordering something higher than that and getting a second juice with 0 nicotine and then use a juice calculator to experiment with different "strengths".

I had to use very high VG juice in my tank (because I am PG sensitive) but most MTL tanks do well anywhere from a 50/50 ratio to a 70 Vg/30 pg ratio.... You can experiment with different ratios to see what works well for you. PG is more of a flavor carrier and will increase throat hit, if you want that. Some folks prefer a bit more clouds, so their VG ratio is higher. More VG in a small MTL tank can gunk coils quicker, so you probably don't want to go supremely high on VG unless you have to.

Good luck and welcome.

Anna

Reactions: alvitae
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread