New vaper

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.koopa

Jan 25, 2018
Hi all.
Smoker of 2
26 years but recently the last 17 days been vaping and with great success have been ciggie free.
Started on a just fog q16 for 9 days and recently bumped to a ileaf istick qc 200w and a smok x baby atomizer and nautilus 2.
I have an adapter for the smok to use a smaller tip. Love it
But don't know much on my new gear.
My biggest is the smoke exhaled which why kept me smoking
With the vape I'm not producing enough "smoke". Don't like the dtl method but do it a few times a day.

My juice is 60/40 at 6mg nic
Current coil is on the nat2 a 0.7ohm and watts is either 11.8 or switch to 18.4 both those give me the relax feel but anything In between is not satisfying.
The higher watts the vapour is uncomfortably hot in mouth/teeth.

Is there another way to produce more smoke ? Ie a different juice.
Quite new and reading alot but quite confused on this transfer as I'm determined to quit smoking.
Thanks from a fellow noob

Reactions: Letitia

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Hi and welcome! The Nautilus 2 is not known for making lots of vapor. It's a mtl tank even with that 0.7 ohm coil. A higher VG nice will generally make more vapor, but if clouds are your goal using your more dl x baby tank or getting a larger cloud oriented tank will give a better result. You can try a 70/30 VG juice but in the Nautilus 2 you won't see a huge improvement.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Hello and welcome.

I'll start with a note about vaping styles (though you may already know this):

Mouth-to-lung (MTL): More like a cigarette. You suck vapour into your mouth and then inhale it into your lungs. This setup usually involves higher resistance coils and lower airflow. The Nautilus 2 is an MTL tank. You can also use higher nicotine levels for this type of vaping. 6 mg/ml is on the lower end, so you could try 12 mg/ml or even 18 mg/ml juice.

Direct to lung (DL, DTL, D2L): Inhale directly to your lungs. Usually involves lower resistance and higher airflow. Smok's Baby Beast is a DL tank. You go through juice faster this way, so you use lower nicotine concentrations. 6 mg/ml is on the high end, so you probably wouldn't want to go any higher than that.

The easiest way to get more vapour is to switch to DL. I know you said you didn't really like it, but you might try turning the airflow as low as possible, using a lower wattage setting and inhaling like you would for MTL.

Alternatively, you might be able to get more vapour from the Nautilus 2 by switching to a higher VG eliquid. I'm assuming your 60/40 is 60% VG and 40% PG - if I'm wrong and it's the other way around, you can definitely get more vapour with higher VG levels. Maybe try a 80% VG/ 20% PG juice.

I hope you can find something to help you here - best of luck staying off the cigs.

Doctorvapes

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2017
DL is the way to go for more vapor, I was frustrated at first too and it took me learning how to properly direct lung inhale to be satisfied. For me, it took awhile to get used to before I was producing decent vapor because you have to inhale differently than a cigarette. So don't give up, vaping sometimes takes time to find what works for you but in the end is worth it.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
I didn't completely quit smoking until i found the magic of DL vaping.

You don't have to go with megawatt power, either. I typically vape between 30 and 40 Watts, with some setups straying to 45-ish.

Higher VG does help with vapor production but at a slight tradeoff on flavor.

A.koopa

Jan 25, 2018
Hello and welcome.

I'll start with a note about vaping styles (though you may already know this):

Mouth-to-lung (MTL): More like a cigarette. You suck vapour into your mouth and then inhale it into your lungs. This setup usually involves higher resistance coils and lower airflow. The Nautilus 2 is an MTL tank. You can also use higher nicotine levels for this type of vaping. 6 mg/ml is on the lower end, so you could try 12 mg/ml or even 18 mg/ml juice.

Direct to lung (DL, DTL, D2L): Inhale directly to your lungs. Usually involves lower resistance and higher airflow. Smok's Baby Beast is a DL tank. You go through juice faster this way, so you use lower nicotine concentrations. 6 mg/ml is on the high end, so you probably wouldn't want to go any higher than that.

The easiest way to get more vapour is to switch to DL. I know you said you didn't really like it, but you might try turning the airflow as low as possible, using a lower wattage setting and inhaling like you would for MTL.

Alternatively, you might be able to get more vapour from the Nautilus 2 by switching to a higher VG eliquid. I'm assuming your 60/40 is 60% VG and 40% PG - if I'm wrong and it's the other way around, you can definitely get more vapour with higher VG levels. Maybe try a 80% VG/ 20% PG juice.

I hope you can find something to help you here - best of luck staying off the cigs.
Yes my ju8ce is 60vg 40pg. With my nat2 I been noticing if I have the airflow with only 2-3 holes exposed it tends to flood and makes a gurgle noise.

A.koopa

Jan 25, 2018
I didn't completely quit smoking until i found the magic of DL vaping.

You don't have to go with megawatt power, either. I typically vape between 30 and 40 Watts, with some setups straying to 45-ish.

Higher VG does help with vapor production but at a slight tradeoff on flavor.
Flavor in not to worried about. If there's a little hint of flavour that would be ok. Been using strictly a classic menthol or a vapermint, kind of tastes like spearamint gum
So if I got 70vg30pg I'd obtain more smoke and less flavour ?

A.koopa

Jan 25, 2018
Hi and welcome! The Nautilus 2 is not known for making lots of vapor. It's a mtl tank even with that 0.7 ohm coil. A higher VG nice will generally make more vapor, but if clouds are your goal using your more dl x baby tank or getting a larger cloud oriented tank will give a better result. You can try a 70/30 VG juice but in the Nautilus 2 you won't see a huge improvement.
With the d2l method is there a way to make it burn less meaning I have .4 coil for my xbaby set at 42.7w but the vapor is hot like soup entering lung. Is that normal?

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
With the d2l method is there a way to make it burn less meaning I have .4 coil for my xbaby set at 42.7w but the vapor is hot like soup entering lung. Is that normal?
Welcome to the ECF community.
For a cooler vape open air flow, af, wide open and lower watts. Nautilus 2 has some issues, just one of those tanks. Maybe get another tank more geared to cloud production. Seems seeing the plume of vapor is what you are missing.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Flavor in not to worried about. If there's a little hint of flavour that would be ok. Been using strictly a classic menthol or a vapermint, kind of tastes like spearamint gum
So if I got 70vg30pg I'd obtain more smoke and less flavour ?
It's totally subjective. With mint and other strong flavoring (coffee, cinnamon) you may not see much difference going from 60/40 to 70/30. You probably would if you went with what's called "max VG," in which only the flavoring additives are in PG.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Generally, there is a limit to the amount of vapor exhaled in a MTL tank, at lower wattages. I am PG sensitive and use 90%VG and 10% DW (until recently when I discovered a PG substitute which is working for me which is actually a relief as I am tired of blowing a TON of VG around the house. But, higher VG is going to be your best bet for "more visible" vapor if you don't want to change around a ton of variables. Increased airflow will be needed, most likely, as well. You don't have to go drastically to DL if you don't like it, but there are also other tank options that may be more suited to what you want, and are more adjustable. Joytech makes a "CLR coil" which is at 1.0 ohms and delivers really good flavor and clouds. There are many tanks that take this coil, but the Joytech Ego One Mega V2 is a good MTL choice with pretty adjustable airflow.

Once you get into more sub0hming, you are usually going to be using a different style of tank, more airflow, often larger, and really set up to run at a higher wattage. You may or may not come to enjoy this option over MTL, but it is different, and usually the vape may be slightly warmer due to wattage needs, given that the lower resistance a coil (generally, there are specific differences) the more wattage it will require, so if you don't want to go much over 20 watts, I'd say try switching your juices at first.... With more VG, you may find slightly shorter tank life and you don't want to go immensely high on VG unless you HAVE TO, as MTL tanks generally do better with a slightly thinner liquid and tend to heat up less with some PG, but I'd say you have some room to maneuver.

With that said, you do also sound like someone who might enjoy a Crown 3 tank, it's larger, more airflow, but it has many different coil resistance options. I'm pretty certain though that you can get more mouthfeel and vapor by changing your liquid and since that is probably the cheapest option I would say try that first. You could even get some pharma USP grade VG easily from somewhere nearby and experiment adding it in a stepwise fashion to the liquid you have to get a sense of what VG/PG ratio is best for you.

Anna

A.koopa

Jan 25, 2018
Welcome to the ECF community.
For a cooler vape open air flow, af, wide open and lower watts. Nautilus 2 has some issues, just one of those tanks. Maybe get another tank more geared to cloud production. Seems seeing the plume of vapor is what you are missing.
I have a smok xbaby but they d2l method is new. Also ordered a uwell valyrian to replace this nat2..watched reviews but wouldn't mind finding actually real vapers thoughts.
Would you know of a way to achieve a decent cloud for m2l ?

Reactions: stols001

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I have a smok xbaby but they d2l method is new. Also ordered a uwell valyrian to replace this nat2..watched reviews but wouldn't mind finding actually real vapers thoughts.
My uncle can get a respectable cloud from his Nautilus. 5ml bottom fill, the original Nautilus. I just bought him a couple of backups from Vapor Authority.

A.koopa

Jan 25, 2018
Generally, there is a limit to the amount of vapor exhaled in a MTL tank, at lower wattages. I am PG sensitive and use 90%VG and 10% DW (until recently when I discovered a PG substitute which is working for me which is actually a relief as I am tired of blowing a TON of VG around the house. But, higher VG is going to be your best bet for "more visible" vapor if you don't want to change around a ton of variables. Increased airflow will be needed, most likely, as well. You don't have to go drastically to DL if you don't like it, but there are also other tank options that may be more suited to what you want, and are more adjustable. Joytech makes a "CLR coil" which is at 1.0 ohms and delivers really good flavor and clouds. There are many tanks that take this coil, but the Joytech Ego One Mega V2 is a good MTL choice with pretty adjustable airflow.

Once you get into more sub0hming, you are usually going to be using a different style of tank, more airflow, often larger, and really set up to run at a higher wattage. You may or may not come to enjoy this option over MTL, but it is different, and usually the vape may be slightly warmer due to wattage needs, given that the lower resistance a coil (generally, there are specific differences) the more wattage it will require, so if you don't want to go much over 20 watts, I'd say try switching your juices at first.... With more VG, you may find slightly shorter tank life and you don't want to go immensely high on VG unless you HAVE TO, as MTL tanks generally do better with a slightly thinner liquid and tend to heat up less with some PG, but I'd say you have some room to maneuver.

With that said, you do also sound like someone who might enjoy a Crown 3 tank, it's larger, more airflow, but it has many different coil resistance options. I'm pretty certain though that you can get more mouthfeel and vapor by changing your liquid and since that is probably the cheapest option I would say try that first. You could even get some pharma USP grade VG easily from somewhere nearby and experiment adding it in a stepwise fashion to the liquid you have to get a sense of what VG/PG ratio is best for you.

Anna

Anna
Yes I found a good mix/method that is working excellent.
70vg15dw15pg typically using 85%watermelon and 15%menthol flavors.
I'm using a 1.8coil in my nautilus 2 and a uwell valyrian 0.14coil tank for stressful hours or to just unwind on my couch for smoke production. The uwell valyrian is a good tank had some great help via FaceTime with the company I purchased from.

I've been smoke free since Jan 8th.

I've learnt alot from here on this site and as well with Google. Also got my father on vaping who has smoked 50+ years he's 9 days smoke free.
My older brother is 5 days free and my youngest sister is 3 days.

Thanks 33 for the comments they helped alot! Thanks for a very informative website that has given me knowledge and also the smarts on vaping to help me share the benefits of vaping to my family and friends
And to help them see the benefit of quitting.

tym64

Jul 30, 2017

There is no rule that says you cant use a direct to lung tank and still smoke mouth to lung. Thats what I do. Use the baby beast, and mouth to lung, with it wide open. In fact, I tried the mouth to lungs, hated them.

I burn it at 55 watts, and mouth to lung, and it feels just like a cig to me. Nice warm, satisfying. I am on 18 nic level, and before long I will jump down to the 12 nic juice. I was a 2 pack plus a day smoker, I go through MAYBE a tank a day.

I know the direct to lung people can REALLY run through the juice. I found with mouth to lung on this baby beast, It does not take much of a draw, and your golden.

The thing is, you gonna quit everything, or replace smoking with vaping. I am NOT gonna replace one habit with another one. I simply use mine as a smokable nic patch. Hit it about 3 or 4 times, set it aside til I get to edgy, rinse and repeat. I am not gonna turn into a chain vaper.

I always suggest to new vapers, hit youtube, and look for "vaping for beginners". They show you how to vape, blow the smoke through your nose, take it slow, give your body time to absorb the nic.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread