Status
Not open for further replies.

ToweKnee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2011
Chicago
Since I cant post or reply in the E juice DIY forums i figure I would just post it here since it is a total noob question.

So mixing entails using VG, PG and Nicotine. Now when I look for nic juice it asks what level of PG or VG I want mixed as well as the nic levels. What is the best option to pick to here? Is having the nic in PG any different than VG? Since I will be using VG or PG bases to dilute anyways correct?

frosting

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2011
Connecticut
The best options really depend on what YOU like and we are all a little different. So far, I personally enjoy making a 75/25 PG VG blend, you may prefer the opposite. I would suggest not rushing to DIY until you are more comfortable vaping all around, are very comfortable with the terms PG,VG understand what they mean and their contemplations without having to search it on ECF. While making juice, DIY is fun, when working with nicotine you still need to be wearing gloves, respecting the toxicity of what's in front of you. I'm just afraid you might be rushing yourself and don't want you to cause any harm to yourself or others by accident! Be sure to read the stickies above in the DIY section. They will teach you tons of valuable knowledge about DIY. Check out the DIY calculator if you have not already. It is an essential tool to DIY. DIY E-Liquid

What is the best option to pick to here? Is having the nic in PG any different than VG?

It depends on what you're going to dilute with and what kind of e-liquid you want. You probably know that PG is a good flavour carrier while VG is a good vape producer. That's why many vapers use a mix of PG and VG. But if I understand your question correctly, the answer is: no, nicotine is nicotine no matter in which one it comes. I prefer PG because that's safe for tanks which I use when tasting new DIY flavours (and if it's ok, I add VG and go to cartomizers).

Since I will be using VG or PG bases to dilute anyways correct?

Exactly :p

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
Well you actually usually get a higher nic than you want then cut it with PG or VG, allowing for the percent of flavor you plan to add (flavoring is usually PG)

I only use high PG juices because they work well in cartomizers. I like 80PG/20VG. So if I bought a DIY kit from OneStopDIYSHop I would choose PG for both the nic liquid AND the base, then separately buy some VG. OR I would choose PG for the nic and VG for the base and buy more PG separately. Basically I would want to have PG nic for sure and then both PG and VG no-nic base to cut it with if I wanted to end up with 80PG/20VG

BTW here is the DIY section - read the guide - has lists or links of lists to flavorings and some lists are marked with which flavorings are safe for vaping, which are difficult to use oil-based ones, etc
DIY E-Liquid

Last edited:

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
I also buy my Flavorless Nic juice in PG because:
the bulk of the final product/ juice will be PG based.
VG is very thick and hard to work with.
PG isn't easy to buy up here in Canada.
I would also suggest you peruse the DIY Section and ask some questions.
P.S. you only have to post 1 more time before you have full posting privileges.

ToweKnee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2011
Chicago
1. Well you actually usually get a higher nic than you want then cut it with PG or VG, allowing for the percent of flavor you plan to add (flavoring is usually PG)

2 . I only use high PG juices because they work well in cartomizers. I like 80PG/20VG. So if I bought a DIY kit from OneStopDIYSHop I would choose PG for both the nic liquid AND the base, then separately buy some VG. OR I would choose PG for the nic and VG for the base and buy more PG separately. Basically I would want to have PG nic for sure and then both PG and VG no-nic base to cut it with if I wanted to end up with 80PG/20VG

3. BTW here is the DIY section - read the guide - has lists or links of lists to flavorings and some lists are marked with which flavorings are safe for vaping, which are difficult to use oil-based ones, etc
DIY E-Liquid

1. Yes I totally get that and thanks !

2. So either way your buying extra VG or PG depending on what you choose in your nic. I understand why they offer the mix for the nic juice because some prefer one over the other. What Im asking is there any benefit of the nic juice being in PG or VG other than having that choice.

3. Yes been in there all day reading and trying to absorb the mountain of information.

ToweKnee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2011
Chicago
I also buy my Flavorless Nic juice in PG because:
the bulk of the final product/ juice will be PG based.
VG is very thick and hard to work with.
PG isn't easy to buy up here in Canada.
I would also suggest you peruse the DIY Section and ask some questions.
P.S. you only have to post 1 more time before you have full posting privileges.

Yea was kind of hard cause this was the only question i really had. Knowing im totally new to this Im trying to get a grasp with this question. Thanks !

Taintedhalo

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2011
Kentucky
I jumped right into mixing but I was comfortable with handling the chemicals from all my homesteading stuff. Making my own cleaning supplies and stuff. With the calculators it wasn't really hard just be very careful you measure as exactly as possible. If you go to Walmart in the pharmacy isle and ask for a 1 ml syringe without the needle they will give it to you for free. Great for getting all those .40 ml and such. And don't forget to check out the recipes page the people here are geniuses at making flavors. I like an 70/30 pg/vg mix lots of flavor and plumes of vapor. If there is a farm and feed store they might have the food grade pg in gallon size cause its used with livestock. We got ours at tractor supply for $20 a gallon.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Yep against my advice a friend ordered flavorless in VG and was having a heck of a time mixing/ dispersing the Nic in it. I gave him some extra PG Nic juice to thin it out and that's helped some but even now he has to warm the stuff up in hot water to thin it out.

I use 48mg nic in 50/50 PG/VG. I mix my juice usually at 70/30 PG/VG. I would never buy nic base liquid in 100% VG, because if it's not shaken well before using, you can have uneven distribution of the nicotine, because of the thickness of VG.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
Nic in pg vs vg doesn't make a functional difference.

Personally I use 100% pg based nic other than if I am doing 0pg for friends with pg sensitivity. While a fair number of suppliers thin their vg nic base, with the pg base you know it will be thin, easy to work with.

I don't use mixed pg/vg nic base because it would just add one more calculation to the process, unnecessary. I have to calculate how many ml of nic base to use, but don't want to have to then calculate how many ml of pg and vg that ml has contributed towards the final target.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread