Newb saying hi and seeking some advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bocephus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Kansas
Hi all. Just wanted to say hi and ask a few questions. First off thanks for all the great info. I was about as lost and overwhelmed as a person can get until I found this sight but once here I found damn near all the info I need and much more.

I have not picked up a kit yet as I am waiting till friday(payday) to order but I have narrowed the search down to a couple kits and wanted to get some advice before then. I am looking into the standard 510 kit but the eGo is starting to look really good. Was wondering if the eGo isd a good kit and also what people thought about the eGo passthroughs(with the mini usb on the battery).

Also wondering if a eGo kit with 2 batts will due battery wise for your average vaper. Thanks in advance:)

tybin

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
WA
hello and welcome to the forum. Yup the ego is a great kit. It has better battery life than the original 510. the ego dual kit will come with two batteries and that is plenty to start with. each of mine last an average of 6-8 hrs. one can charge, while your vaping on the other. I love the passthroughs, but it's not a big necessity if you are initially broke. That can wait for another payday :)

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I totally recommend the eGo....or the Riva which is an eGo clone and just as good. I agree that the passthrough is great, but not a necessity if money is tight. The two eGo or Riva batteries that come with the kit will get you through the day...

E-Liquid and Electronic Cigarette Shop - Category Listings has eGo kits for $39.99 and Riva kits for $29.99 plus $2.99 shipping. Those are both really good prices. Be sure to click on the 20% off button on the top left of the home screen. I have both...and love them both. If I were buying another, I'd get the Riva...and spend the extra $10 on juice. Good luck.

cskent

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Ohio
If you smoke more than a 1/2 pack a day, seriously consider something with a bigger battery such as the eGo or Riva. Most people get frustrated rather quickly when they are constantly charging and changing batteries, and that's what will happen if you smoked even moderately and get a mini e-cig. The larger batteries will allow you to vape for around half a day on a charge without the need for a PT or PCC. The only reason to consider a small battery is if you want the smaller size. If that's important to you then you'll have to make a decision whether it's worth the tradeoff.

RyeCcast

Jan 12, 2011
Vermont
Glad to see your switching over to vaping and I hope it all goes well for you. Are you planning on quitting smoking or do both? If your not sure you might just find that once you've vaped for a few days that you'll forget about smoking all together. That was my experience and I was a pack a day of Marlboro reds for about 12 years. Many on here smoked a lot more and longer and switched from analog to digital painlessly.
The ego is excellent and the riva is just as good. What did you order for liquid?

Bocephus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Kansas
Thanks for the replies all. good info. The eGo is looking good. I have $50 to spend so those seem like good deals. Is the Riva as good as the eGo? I saw that kit and was actually looking at liberty as they have that 20% off.

By the way I got a deal on some juice from Voidmist and have to say I had a mixup ordering tonight and they have fantastic customer service. Email me back in like 5 minutes and got me all set. Can not speak for the juice itself yet or vapeing in general but if the juice is as good as the customer service they locked me in as a customer.

Bella Chic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2009
Southeast Texas
Hey Bocephus and welcome to ECF...My dad use to call me Bocephus when I was a lil girl cause I hated it when he called me that so I had a lil giggle when I saw your username, brought back memories :) Any way, Liberty Flight is great! Just ordered a Riva kit for my friend and was very happy with there service. I have the eGo and the Riva and they are both great and are pretty much the same except the for the button. The eGo's button is a hard plastic and the Riva button is a soft silicone type plastic. The Riva is cheaper cost wise at Liberty Flights with there 20% off sale, it's only $29 and that is an awesome price. You could get that and a few extra atties and some juice maybe too with the $50 you have to spend. Just tryin to help you stretch your money out and get some extra stuff your going to need any ways down the road :) Congrats on the vaping!!!

Bocephus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Kansas
Glad to see your switching over to vaping and I hope it all goes well for you. Are you planning on quitting smoking or do both?

I am quiting smoking. It is either stop cold turkey or vape and after all the reading I want to vape. I still enjoy the act of smoking just not the smell and more importantly would like to save my lungs. I actually jumped in head first juice wise and got a whole DIY setup. I am a DIY person at heart and good at stuff like that so I got Unflavored PG (Nicotine 60mg/ml) 120ml and 60ML pure vg(I will probably need more as the Unflavored PG is strong but ill cross that bridge later) as well as 10 different LorAnn 7ml conc. flavors to play with.

I have read and watched a ton of info from here on mixing and it looks really fun. Got the calc and everything all realy. Just need a machine to use it in hehe.

cskent

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Ohio
Since you're getting into DIY juice you ought to check out the diy-e-liquid forum if you haven't done so already. I tried some of the Lorann's flavors and some work well, others don't so start with small batches at lower flavoring percentages like 10%, and let them steep. I made some strawberry a couple of weeks ago and it's just now starting to taste right.

Bella Chic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2009
Southeast Texas
In my opinion it's all personal taste. I am a dripper and use cartomizers sometimes. They are great for when you are driving or for times when you can't drip easily. Some people just use cartomizers and nothing else. You can always buy a pack and try them out, they arn't that expensive really and can be refilled also.

Stifle

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2011
San Diego, CA
A lot of these same people helped me as well and I was basically in the same dilemma as you and had roughly the same budget..

I went with the Riva510 lite bundle from LF and with about 40ml of juice, 2 Riva setups, 5 boge cartomizers and an extra eGo cone and I was out the door for about $65 dollars. I'd say at least a third of that was juice..so without that you'd come in under $50.

My dealings with them so far have been great as well

tbow

Jan 17, 2011
Alabama
Well, another vote for the eGo or the Riva over the 510. In order to keep yourself in batteries (to quit smoking, and not find yourself with a line of dead batteries, waiting to charge, right when you need it most!), you'd have to spend as much (or more) on spare batteries, and then keep track of all of them. DH and I both started out with the 510 kit (iirc - we shared one kit between the two of us - I think that lasted a week! LOL!). When we got eGo's, things were much more enjoyable. I wish we'd just spent that initial investment on something like that, straight off. And attys!

Happy Vaping! Sounds like you're all set to enjoy it.

throatkick

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
FL
Welcome and congrats for deciding to move away from smoking!

The eGo/ Riva is something that most everyone has and truly makes sense. It is inexpensive, has the ability to keep even a heavy smoker away from analogs and very versatile. Tank systems, mega batts, mega carts etc etc etc.

Problem is, once you try something else, you will see that the eGo is not a top performing device. Why am I mentioning this?
Eventually you will stumble across the EGO SUCKS threads. Then, you will begin to wonder. This is not a good thing for someone trying to quit smoking. Luckily I had the foresight to order other devices as well that I could fall back on. I am hoping this thread will not be seen by too many people (why put doubt in their minds?) because it is so late.

So, just keep in mind that the EGO is a great starting point and it can only get better from there with other devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread