Newb trying to decide on carts, attys and cartos

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnkong

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2011
bastrop, TX
I'm going to try my best not to sound like a noob..but in fact I am a noob..lol..

What i think i want..is less TH
more vape
more taste
less refilling
if possible not to refill with a syringe (some reason makes me nervous with the idea of using a syringe, but may be able to overcome it if I do have to use it)

My set up is a FS EGO..and was giving a carto with it..like it..but lil bit too much TH for my liking. And i dont seem to get much on the taste..
*note I have not tried any other juice besides RY4 in the carto and Key Lime Batter in the atty. I am unsure of the mixture of the juices. I would also like your opinions on the juice mix. Thank you for your time

SSG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2011
Evans, GA
I am a new member but have been on this site daily for over a year. I have been vaping for 2 years so I have a little knowledge to share. I had an eGo a while back and tried just about everything on it. If you don't mind dripping I would recommend using a low resistance 510 atty (I got mine from VaporKings, the 1.5 Ohm) and a drip tip. You can only take a couple drags off of it before needing to drip again (I keep a 10ml bottle of juice in my pocket at all times). This seems time consuming and a little bit too hands on but it quickly becomes habit and less of a pain.

SSG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2011
Evans, GA
As far as juice goes, I usually stick with the mint/menthol flavors. Halocigs.com has some of the best liquid that I have tried (truepure is an incredibly smooth, refreshing mint flavor) and that is after spending hundreds of dollars at other sites.
I recently started attempting to make my own liquid. Still having a hard time getting the flavoring right.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
I only use cartos and have never used a syringe (I use Boge, the most popular cartos for 510 threaded devices). If you use normal stuffing cartos with suitably thin juice you do not need a syringe. if you buy huge cartos, use thick juice with stuffing cartos or use reservoir cartos, you need a syringe.

IMO cartridges suck - need juice too often and can suddenly dump the juice in your mouth or elsewhere. Atomizers can be annoying - when they work great they are great, but they don't always work great. I use drip tip + atomizer at home to test new juices, to vape thick juices, to vape a few that I don't vape often enough to put in a carto.

My main vapes are PG w/ 10% or 20% VG and go in cartos. I find even 30% VG can bog the drag down a bit and cause cartos to not last as long. For dripping I will vape any PG/VG. I do like some TH so I rarely drip more than 50% VG (FreedomSmokeUSA has a couple of 50/50-only juices I like to drip - Hopscotch and Voodoo). I avoid juices that drop a lot of flavoring sediment because sediment clogs cartos, gunks up coils faster.

PG - thin, lets through the most flavor, nicotine TH, nicotine irritation, makes thin looking vapor
VG - thick, dulls/smooths everything PG lets through, makes thicker looking longer lasting vapor

Last edited:

johnkong

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2011
bastrop, TX
I have tried dripping with the atty that came with the kit. Just seemed really messy to me. Not having to refill often is a big deal to me, but on that note I will try it more than since you said "it quickly becomes habit and less of a pain". I thank you for your time on replying SSG. :D

Last edited:

John Phoenix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2011
New Orleans
Try them all ! For less refilling use a CE2 which is like a mini tank ( they come in different sizes) or a Tank such as the cheap homemade syringe tank http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...756-homemade-syringe-tank-mod-looks-easy.html

I like less TH myself and find that a good balance of nicotine strength a different PG to Vg ratio can achieve this. If you can get your hands on some DIY liquids you can mix them with different ration and find what works best for you. - Or you can just order pre-mixed juice with different ratios but testing with DIY juices is cheaper.

It's the filler in cartridges and a juice with lots of Vg that can cause the taste to be not as strong. The CE2's and CE2's tanks do not use any filler material so they taste stronger. ( more VG will give you a smoother hit but it will also make the taste weaker, so you have to play to find what works for you - to answer your question VG also makes juice thicker)

( The tank mod above used filler type cartos but you can find CE2's tanks for sale and there may be some DIY mods on the forum - CE2's tank mods look easy enough to build using the instructions from the Syringe Tank Mod above, you should be able to figure it out. here are examples, this lady takes a lot of CE2 tanks apart, so you see the two mods share a lot of similar things. Battle of the CE2 Tank Mods, Part 1 - YouTube)

OR you could try a Got Vapes Vision Extreme http://www.gotvapes.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=117 They are based on CE2's and the Mini and Giant models can hold a lot more liquid, 2.5 and 3.5 ML. These are designed to solve some problems CE2's can have and they are really sweet.

About using a syringe: if the idea of the sharp tip bothers you, just buy one with a blunt tip, many of us do.

http://www.madvapes.com/search.asp?keyword=blunt&search=GO

Last edited:

SSG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2011
Evans, GA
I bought a GG a while back, so I haven't kept up with the latest innovations with the eGo. I tried the eGoT tanks and didn't really like them. I have a DCT MAP tank that I use on my GG. I tried it on one of my old eGo batteries and they didn't seem to have enough power to function. That could just be me though. Everyone here seems to have had different experiences with different equipment.

johnkong

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2011
bastrop, TX
Thank you John for that vid. I really enjoyed it. Gave me more info on what a tank is. When I first seen the tanks they really appealed to me. I do noticed that when I see someone using a tank, they have a bigger battery. As anyone found a tank that they like on their ego? SSG whats the negatives about too thin of a juice? Again I would like to thank everyone for their input in this thread.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
VG is the thick one. PG is the thin one and lets through the most TH. but thin juices work best/easiest in most cartomizers and tanks.

What are you vaping now? What PG/VG?

You can lower TH with
less nicotine
less heat (i.e. don't use low resistance)
more VG

For a nice vape without too much TH, try Boge 510 3 ohm (standard resistance) cartomizers with 80PG/20VG juice and see how that is. In general these should give less TH than a 510 atomizer, especially less than a 510 LR atomizer. The carto smooths out the vape. I use the 3 ohm ones. And if it is still too much TH then consider trying 1 level lower nicotine. You won't have a nic fit. Once you are away from the additional addictive chemicals in cigs, nicotine alone is not as addictive. The important thing is to have a TH that is comfortable to you and a vaping method that works well and consistently - if it feels good you can take bigger drags - you will get enough nic.

---
How I fill a cartomizer (Vapor4Life for KR8 or Boge 510 for 510 which are all soft-cap w/ no inner seals and defined central air channel)

I use thin (20% or less VG) liquid or Vapor4Life WOW liquids, preferably clear liquids w/ no sediment

Filling a blank carto - I pop off the soft cap (unbent paperclip carefully in the mouth hole, not catching any wires or stuffing!). I hold some tissue against the threaded end hole. I tilt the carto and slowly drip 18 drops (per ml of carto capacity and these are 1ml cartos) onto the inner wall of the carto so it slides down into the stuffing while I rotate the carto. Note - the first few drops may take longer to wet the stuffing and soak in - wait for those to soak in before putting in the rest of the 18). Then after the 18 I wait 15-30 seconds or so then I drip however many more drops the stuffing wants to soak up.

Then I do clean-up. If it is leaking, I clean that up. Then I tilt the open end down into the tissue and puff a couple of times into the threaded end to clear any juice out of the central air channel (I want to see light through there). If it looks too wet above the stuffing, I gently touch a bit of tissue to the stuffing (otherwise that liquid will be gurgling or spitting in my mouth).

Then since this was a fresh fill of a blank, I now let it settle. I lay the carto on different sides for 15-20 minutes. Then it should be ready to vape. If you use thicker juices than me, then you may need to let it settle longer.

As I am vaping - if the vapor gets a bit light or a bit dry or tastes bit off or the carto is getting unusually warm, I will take the carto off the battery, open it, add 6-8 drops or whatever it seems to want (I will either hold a bit of tissue against the threaded end hole just in case, or skimp on how many drops I add to make sure I avoid drips if I have no tissue). I check to make sure the threaded end is dry, give it a couple of puffs into the threaded end to make sure the air channel is clear, and continue to vape.

Note - it is easy for me to "open" my main cartos for adding juice because I replace the white end cap with a plastic or delrin drip tip (I get them at LiteCigUSA.net). So I can easily pull that out with my fingers when I add juice and it keeps my lips cool if the carto is hot.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
These syringes have replaceable tips that are blunt. It holds 1ml of juice and that's about right for a CE2 carto or a Boge 510 carto. It's a skinny syringe with very smooth operation. These fit the CE2 side channel fill hole perfectly.

Syringe and tips for refilling CE-2 Cartomizers
syringeforce2.jpg

Filling cartos doesn't get any better than this method. It takes less than a minute, completely saturates the carto, and last for hours.

Stef64

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 5, 2011
Michigan
Thank you John for that vid. I really enjoyed it. Gave me more info on what a tank is. When I first seen the tanks they really appealed to me. I do noticed that when I see someone using a tank, they have a bigger battery. As anyone found a tank that they like on their ego? SSG whats the negatives about too thin of a juice? Again I would like to thank everyone for their input in this thread.

I use CE2 clearomizers on my Riva and like them a lot. I have also used the 3.0 ohm Visions from GotVapes. I liked their capacity, flavor was good but TH was less than I like. If you like less TH these may be worth trying.

johnkong

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2011
bastrop, TX
i see SSG...maybe i am using too thin of a juice for my dripping experience. Like I said before, I really don't know the mix of the juice. It was giving to me with my first kit that my uncle gave me. The kit itself came with some pre filled carts that I don't care for. He gave me 2 cartos. Not really for sure what they are..one as the filling..that dormouse describes and one that as and extra o ring in it. Guessing it needs a syringe to fill (but I just tried the condom filling that DaveP posted and seem to work great)

SSG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2011
Evans, GA
It could also be that you may be dripping too much juice. Try blowing it out and start with 3-4 drops and then work your way up until you find the limit for the atty that you are using. Like I mentioned before, I would usually use 4-5 drops for the atties that I was using. But, I have heard of some people using between 6 and 7.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
Oh - the stuffing cartos with donut shape silicone washer/seal inside (under the endcap which all stuffing cartos have) may be an SLB brand which usually suck IMO. It will work OK for one filling. You need to take off the end cap AND also take off that inside silicone donut to fill. If the stuffing is one loose wad with no defined center air channel then it's probably SLB. I tried one and threw the other 4 away. But they are fine to try - they just don't stand up to refilling well - the drag gets real bad.

The Boge ones have no inner seal and have a nice defined center air channel. I can usually get 10 or more days good use out of a Boge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread