Newbie here, my situation so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

Im a newbie e-cig smoker. A kiosk in the local mall had it, and I gave it a shot. I got home and did some research, and found this site among some others. (e-cigreview .com). I have some questions, was hoping you might be able to help out.

I currently have what I think is this e-cig model ->

e-cigs.co.uk/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=52&zenid=t6vg006p1u8f9nnj0il31rs8m7.

That image is the box I purchased recently. Im guessing it's a RN4081 - "Super Cigarette" on the box.

I have been using it the last couple days, but am having some issues. I am a current smoker of "little cigars" - cigarette shaped smokes with a filter, but with cigar tobacco. I inhale like a cigarette and all. So it's a heavy smoke. So far, using this model, no matter what I do, I can't get a satisfying drag out of the thing. If I do a new battery and cartridge, the first drag or 2 is somewhat close. But after that, Im getting low level vapor until I just give up.

On top of this, over the last hour or so, every strong drag I take triggers the tip to blink 9 times, and won't work for a while each time that happens. Plus, when I do get it to fire up, I hear a sizzling sound. So something's not working right.

I really just want to be able to pick the thing up, drag, get good smoke, put it down. This learning curve is killing it so far.

I was wondering if there was ANY model out there that can give a powerful, continuous vapor. For the length of at least a normal cigarette smoking session. So I feel like Im inhaling lets say a Marlboro Red x 3 or something. My smokes aren't that diesel, but I'm trying to get across it's gotta be heavy :)

I work on the web, at home, and smoke all day, especially when I work. So I need something that can replace that, and not have me fidgeting while I'm working, distracting me because it isn't satisfying. Something that won't give out after a week or 2, and will be able to be picked up and used every 20 minutes or so.

At this point, don't really care about the size class, if the bigger models pack a better punch, I'd go with one of them. Though, the cigarette shape of this one is good if I had a magic wand.

On top of that, I am using the Marl High cartridges. I think at least to start, I'd like something with a bit more nicotine in it. Is there anything out there that can deilver that, juice wise? Or possibly, if I had a unit with better vapor kick, those might work. Can't tell.

So that's about it. Thanks for reading. If you could help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

spyderuk

ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2008
UK
I'm sure someone with more experience will soon chip in but until then..

The 901 seems to be described around here as "a good workhorse" with good vapour output. Combine this with juice and I'm sure you would be getting closer to the hit your looking for.

Add in the USB cable and your sorted at your pc with no battery issues to slow your vaping down.

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
If you want a real workhorse, sounds like you might be interested in Trog's screwdriver. If you go to ebay and punch in screwdriver electronic cigarette, you should see it (I don't know any other way to get there). Then you can look at his forum and see what you think. Has lots of answers there. They seem to work for the heavier smokers. It might at least be worth a look.

Good luck!

BTW....where are you located?

Lu

Last edited:
I saw the Screwdriver. In theory, Id like to roll with it. But I just dropped 150+ on this starter kit and some extra stuff, (much cheaper online, but was an impulse buy, and hey, that guy's gotta pay mall rent :) ). So I don't want to rush into another 150-200 dollar investment for something that isn't going to work as I need it. That's why I signed up here, to see what some regulars think first.

So yeah, heavy smoker, need the throat hit and high nicotine. Battery, swapping, charging, not an issue for the most part.

Located in Philly.

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
Well I'm a heavy smoker and I got the penstyle (801). Because it's bigger than the 901 or the peewee, the batteries last longer and the carts hold more juice. I really eyed the screwdriver because I vape a lot but like you, it is just out of my price range right now. The pen is good....I'm just not a fan of battery swapping and charging much.

Oh....and if you're on a computer a lot....the usb pen might work for you. I know they carry them at puresmoker.com but they seem to be out of them at the moment.

Lu

Last edited:
Im looking at the pen (not sure which one) and/or the Screwdriver. Not sure about the SD because it seems to be new. Ive been checking some youtube vids and overall more research, so just going to keep doing that.

Also of note, Ive figured something out, in case another newbie reads this.

My problem so far is that I don't drag "long" on my cigarettes. If you notice in almost all the videos of anyone e-smoking, they drag hard, long on it. Like smoking weed or a crack pipe or something. Taking a small, 1 second light drag doesn't produce much of a result. And that's how I normally smoke regular cigs, quick small hits. They are strong, so that's all I need. But doesn't work with these and it's off-putting.

I can change that, and since Ive focused on doing so, the smoke has been better. But I still need a better unit I think. More vapor, more consistent, and stronger juice.

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
If you want a lighter, shorter draw then you should look at devices with manual switches. Pressing the switch activates the heat and produces vapour without having to draw, it's ready for you to inhale before you suck.

Janty Kissboxes, Trog's Screwdriver and David Yang's manual switched 801 are worth looking at. You may also be interested in some of the mods on the tips and tricks board.

Don't get fooled with raising nicotine levels to more than you are used to, it does not give a better hit. You just need enough to feed your addiction, not to raise tolerance.

Fedor

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2008
Im looking at the pen (not sure which one)

My problem so far is that I don't drag "long" on my cigarettes.

And that's how I normally smoke regular cigs, quick small hits.

If you are looking for a pen with good & consistent hit, easy drag, good vapour...I will recommend the M201. It is far better than all the pens that I've ever used. And thats saying a lot cos i am a big pen fan....

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
My problem so far is that I don't drag "long" on my cigarettes. If you notice in almost all the videos of anyone e-smoking, they drag hard, long on it. Like smoking weed or a crack pipe or something. Taking a small, 1 second light drag doesn't produce much of a result. And that's how I normally smoke regular cigs, quick small hits. They are strong, so that's all I need. But doesn't work with these and it's off-putting.

I'm not going to offer buying advice -- Kate is good to go with hers -- but I just couldn't agree more with the statement above. I am NOT interested in sucking for 5 seconds on some device. I want exactly the same action provided by a real cigarette. I find myself counting as I watch e-smoking test vids, as if a swimmer were trying to make it down the Olympic pool underwater, and I just want to throw something at the monitor. NO ONE SMOKES LIKE THAT. NO ONE SHOULD HAVE TO. No one needs to test like that and display it for newbies to see.

There, I feel better. You are right, Comoruin.

Papa Lazarou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2008
UK
Something fairly harsh like one of the Totally Wicked 36mg juices might be worth a go. Just be careful with how much you use the stuff. I've been using the Marlboro flavour but I can't take it at the moment - its too harsh and starts me in a coughing fit (I'm not feeling too good TBH).

By their nature they aren't going to work well with a one second draw - its barely enough time for the atomiser to heat up. I've rarely found 5 second draws necessary though. A short "primer puff" and a longer drag of 2-3 secs is how I usually use them. A powerful battery and manual switch (e.g. Screwdriver) should probably help in this regard.

browner

Dec 12, 2008
pa
to get good vapor i try and inhale slow and steady just hard enough to get the led to light up it takes a second or to for the atomiser to start really produciong a good vapor

if you go to puresmoker.com and watch the videos try to mimic steve when he drags on his e-cig this is how i learned, alot of the time i get more vapor than when i used to smoke camel lights i use the 901 and drip most of the time

OK, update on my situation so far folks.

Spoke with Steve from Puresmoker.com, emailed him around same time I posted here. He replied and suggested I switch to a drip method and use some strong juice for the nic issue.

I've done that, and been dripping with the Pee Wee/RN4081/Super Cigarette Model for over a week now. I was smoking 1.5-2 packs a day, and haven't touched an analog since.

Here are some points of what Ive been doing. Some of these come from this forum, some from video reviews, some from emails from fellow e-smokers, like Steve @ puresmoker.com.

Im using 36mg nicotine eliquid.

Using dripping method.

Cart is empty, no sponge part in there to block the vapor.

Ive bee dropping 2-4 drops right on the atomizer.

Going through 3-5 battery charges a day (vape almost non-stop, like i smoked).

Battery charges last between 2 and 3 hours.

Battery takes 4 hours to charge.

Take a short small puff, then a long deep inhale.

Keep lips closed, completely wrapped around the ecig, having it open seems to mess up the drag.

Retrain your inhale method. It's not like smoking, you learned to smoke a certain way, have to learn to esmoke a certain way to get maximum benefits. This inhale is actually closer to smoking a "blunt" or joint, if you ever smoked weed. Somewhere in between a cigarette drag and that.

If you are out of the house, make sure to have back up batteries fully charged, and a car charger. I ran out of full batteries while out and it's not fun.

To use your starter cartridges that came with the nicotine sponge in the drip method, use a pin, put it thru the mouth hole on an angle till you hit something, then push. That will pop out the sponge container, and you can use that cart as a topper from then on with the drip.

Clean out your atomizer by blowing on the battery connection end, with the other end facing a paper towel. Once I did this the draw from the following tokes was stronger and better.

If you vape or plan to vape alot in front of your computer, Ive used a time sheet. I have 3 batteries, and 2 charge areas, so I have an entry for each.

Battery 1
Vape Start Time: Charging
Charge Start Time: 3:46 PM
Charger Slot: 1

Battery 2
Vape Start Time: Charging
Charge Start Time: 12:22
Charger Slot: 2

Battery 3
Vape Start Time: 3:46 PM
Charge Start Time: In Use
Charger Slot: In Use

I also marked with a sharpie the numbers 1/2/3 on each of my batteries so I knew which is what.

Ive noticed that my super-mini tends to flare up, and stay on if I take a couple long tokes. Vapor gets stuck in the cartridge and triggers a loop, which keeps the atomizer on. This burns the liquid off and causes it to not be used for 10 seconds or so. If you notice this happen, disconnect and reconnect the battery, take off the cart topper, and blow out the extra smoke. Not ideal, but it gives the unit time to cool down and you can start toking fresh again from there. May need to re-drip if you burnt off too much liquid too.

Liquids Ive tried:

CASH Coffee - not really coffee tasting, but good nutty earthy flavor.

Pure Strawberry - Favorite one so far. Not too sweet, has a tobacco, nutty flavor mixed with it.

Janty Apple - Ok, too sweet, but good for mixing up.

Ordered a Mini-Fogger as well. IMO, not good. Lots of vapor at first, but then it died out quick. There is a constant, awful burning taste coming from it, a mix of burnt plastic and/or foam from the sponge. This occurred with 2 brand new batteries, and 2 brand new atomizers, and tried about 4 or 5 different carts, mixed between 2 flavors. Cut off time is 2-3 seconds. Vapor is not hot, no throat hit, and when inhaled, actual exhale of vapor was minimal. That could change after parts get worked in, but the taste and smell coming from it was too much for me to continue with it. Emailed them about a return, waiting for their answer.

So, all that being said, after 2 weeks of e-smoking, and 1 week of dripping, I think I've finally figured out a method and system that works. I am completely satisfied without the urge for analog regular cigarettes 95% of the time. For some reason, I still have an urge to smoke a regular. I think it's because the smoke and stuff in the regulars is hotter, much harsher. But, after a good toke of the 36 mg stuff, that usually goes away, and haven't gone back as of yet. Longest Ive stopped analog smoking 100%, and have tried probably about 6 times.

Remember, I didn't use this as a method to quit. Ive CHOSEN it as an alternative to smoking tobacco. :)

Now, have another order in to Puresmoker for a DSE901 chrome starter set, another black Super Mini starter set, some parts and some liquids.

Thanks to everyone on this forum, Ive read constantly for last 2 weeks, and it's helped a lot.

Texas

Dec 31, 2008
TEXAS!
Thank you camoruin for your posts.. My wife and I just placed our first order with PureSmoker and are waiting ever so patiently... lol I can't wait..

But I'm just like you on the "Little Cigars" I smoke Swisher Sweets Grape flavored most of the time and hope to get something very similar in the feel.. I haven't seen a grape liquid anywhere... so if anyone knows of one let me know :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread