Newbie here & needing help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

G7X2000

Oct 9, 2015
Hi all!

New to these forums and to vaping - been vaping just over 2 weeks now.
Current setup is a Kanger Subtank Mini with a 40W Wismec Presa, 1ohm twisted coil 28AWG 2.5mm 17watts.

The other day I went out and bought a EHPro Billow v2 as I wanted to try out a dual coil setup and I heard the flavor on these was one of the best for flavor - however, I cannot, repeat, CANNOT get any flavor out of it. I thought it was vaper's tongue, but switched over to my Subtank Mini with the same juice in it (butterscotch) and flavor was still there.

This is what I did after I purchased - got home, gave the parts a quick rinse, got a 1ohm build on 28gauge / 2.5mm, checked it was firing and glowing right, wicked it up, saturated with juice, filled tank, let it sit for a while, vaped... no flavor, plenty of vape though.
Had a look at the coils, the wicking, and everything seems to be firing right. Fired it up while saturated and you could smell the flavor - but when connected to the tank - no flavor. Using a Wismec Presa 40W - had a go from 5W - 40W, all with no difference in taste.

Tried a low resistance build at 0.3ohms, 28gauge/2.5mm, repeat as above, same outcome.

All this while vaping on the Subtank Mini which still tastes brilliant!
What the heck am I doing wrong...? I have built about 5 different coils in my Subtank since I started, and I am also a sound engineer and guitarist who is very familiar with electronics, soldering, resistances, power, etc etc etc, so I'm not a noob in that department...

If anyone has both these tanks (Subtank Mini and Billow v2) can you share your experiences with them in terms of building and flavor differences, please? Thanks so much!

gofishtx

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Tomball Texas
heya, thanks for the responses.

gofishtx - yeah I've tried a 26AWG build with no effect, don't have any 24AWG but might have to give that a go

MattyRetro - heheh I've watched that video, in fact, I've watched all the videos in the first 3 pages when searching for this tank on google. just to see if I had missed something.
Are you tasting your juice in another tank? If so then it could be that your juice is not handling your sub ohm build and the heat is dispursing the flavor. If you can't taste it in your other tanks then I would say vapors Tongue. If it is your build then the more surface area on your coil then the more flavor you will have, ribbon wire comes to mind or a larger gauge twisted maybe.

Reactions: urii beletski

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
heya, thanks for the responses.

gofishtx - yeah I've tried a 26AWG build with no effect, don't have any 24AWG but might have to give that a go

MattyRetro - heheh I've watched that video, in fact, I've watched all the videos in the first 3 pages when searching for this tank on google. just to see if I had missed something.

If you have some 28awg you can try twisting it up, should land about the way 24awg would work, just twist it tight, and calculate each single coil as a dual coil, ie dual coil twisted should calculated as a quad coil, will be a bit off and not as accurate, but get you within target range of the resistance you want, try steam-engine.org coil builder tool, 26awg twisted is also another good wire to work with, will be a bit more stiff when working with it. This gives you the surface area you are shooting for as well the twisted wire will pull liquid into the spaces and valleys in its surface giving almost 1/3 more liquid vaporization compared to just straight wire, not as complicated as making a clapton wire but works under the same principles, even a hybrid 26 with a thinner wire is a fun wire to work with, the 26 does the heating and some of the cooking, the smaller wire does 2/3 the vapor 0 of the heating. Also a thing to look at is your wicking, any wicking blocking airflow off or to the coil will mute or damp out flavor to various extents, with the billow you have to be really carefull, just enough wick to pull and capillary properly, nor to much it touches near the airflow or you get leaking and loss of flavor. Billow is a pain in the tail getting to learn how to get it to work properly, but once you do, they are a dream tank.

g/l

G7X2000

Oct 9, 2015
gofishtx - Indeed, I could taste the same juice in my subtank but not in the Billow, at similar wattage and resistance builds.

I have tried the above methods as well, still no luck. Went back into the shop and they were kind enough to look at it for me. Build, wicking and parts were all fine, I just think it was flavor preference. I think they wanted to keep me as a customer so they offered to exchange it for a completely new single coil tank.
PROBLEM SOLVED! I can taste my liquids now. :)

thanks all!

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
gofishtx - Indeed, I could taste the same juice in my subtank but not in the Billow, at similar wattage and resistance builds.

I have tried the above methods as well, still no luck. Went back into the shop and they were kind enough to look at it for me. Build, wicking and parts were all fine, I just think it was flavor preference. I think they wanted to keep me as a customer so they offered to exchange it for a completely new single coil tank.
PROBLEM SOLVED! I can taste my liquids now. :)

thanks all!

There are several people including me actually prefers a single coil. I rock a single coil in my Goblin Mini, and used a single coil in the Silverplay.

Right now I rock a Kayfun Nano and GMini.

jacob bonilla

Sep 4, 2015
maybe too much air flow? restrict the air flow. im pretty new to RDA's myself and using a mutation xs single coil 26 guage 3mm 0.4-0.8 ohms vapes fine i get the flavor even from 99% vg juices. i find that if i use juices higher in PG however i get VERY little flavor. majority of my juices are PG based but some are VG based and it's mainly the VG based ones i get the most flavors out of it. PG based i get little flavor or it doesn't taste as good as it does in my clearomizer.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
doing a little bit more reading around and keen to try a RDA as well, and for higher resistance/flavor it seems like the Velocity / Veritas is the way to go. anyone vouch for these?

what would be the main differences in feel between tanks and a dripper?

Yes on the Veritas. No on the Velocity.

I found the Freakshow Mini had better flavor than the Veritas. Another flavorful atty is the Rogue.

Then I tried the Goblin Mini and stopped Dripping. The GMini is better than the Magma and Veritas and as good as the Freakshow Mini and the Rogue. The only RDA that I have found better than the GMini is the Darang RDA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread