Status
Not open for further replies.

Chimney34

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2012
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
Hello everyone! I am a newbie looking for advice on where to start. I am currently a pack a day Newport smoker looking to make the switch to e cigs. I am here to ask for help on picking out my first device. I've recently been looking around a couple of sites like High Desert Vapes. I know that I would like a device that can be used with e liquids & some type of tank. Using high desert vapes sight I've run across the Lavatube & the ego ce4. I was wondering what more experienced users thought about these devices & if I should consider using a drip tip. Also do you guys know of any other sites with great prices & fast reliable shipping. I'd also like to purchase from within the US if possible.
Thanks in advance for any advice for this virgin vapor

Oh & what type of mixtures should I go for when ordering e liquids?

Last edited:

flintlock62

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2012
Arkansas Delta
Welcome to the forum! You're going to get ll kinds of answers because there's SO many things out there to choose from. Do you want it to look like a cigarette? Do you want a battery that will last all day? Do you want a screen read out? What is your budget? Give me something to go on, and I, and others will come back with suggestions.

Hello everyone! I am a newbie looking for advice on where to start. I am currently a pack a day Newport smoker looking to make the switch to e cigs. I am here to ask for help on picking out my first device. I've recently been looking around a couple of sites like High Desert Vapes. I know that I would like a device that can be used with e liquids & some type of tank. Using high desert vapes sight I've run across the Lavatube & the ego ce4. I was wondering what more experienced users thought about these devices & if I should consider using a drip tip. Also do you guys know of any other sites with great prices & fast reliable shipping. I'd also like to purchase from within the US if possible.
Thanks in advance for any advice for this virgin vapor

Oh & what type of mixtures should I go for when ordering e liquids?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
VaporBeast is a respectable online vendor that offers free shipping and excellent customer service: http://www.vaporbeast.com/category_s/1839.htm

Altsmoke is also a respectable online vendor with a wide range of products and excellent customer service and fast shipping: AltSmoke.com | Personal Vaporizers | Electronic Cigarette | Ecigs | Your one stop shop!

I provide a type of picture dictionary of juice delivery devices in this thread that you might find helpful: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/cartomizers/343294-proper-terminology-carto-tank-what-lol.html#post7562212

Before you buy anything, I recommend that you take advantage of the ECF search here for user opinions on the devices that you are interested in, and also do a YouTube search for reviews of these devices, too. PBusardo is one of the more popular reviewers of e-cig equipment.

For e-juices, taste is extremely subjective. What one person likes, another will hate. Read the two e-juice forums here for ideas of what juice vendors are popular. Initially only buy sampler packs to avoid wasting money on larger bottles of flavors that you may not care for; once you find a flavor that you enjoy, buy a larger bottle. I have found the small ce3's to be nice to test out sample flavors; they are reusable; try to find the newer ones that are easily filled or emptied by simply removing the top, older models require using a needle and syringe.

I will provide links to a couple of my favorite juice vendors that offer flavor samples:

Virgin Vapors: Organically Flavored E-liquid | Virgin Vapor | Electronic Cigarette Organic e-Liquid | Electronic Cigarettes

Vaperite: Vaperite | E Liquid Flavors and Organic E Cigarette Liquid

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
That looks like a good kit, good price. From what I can see, it has a 30 day warranty.

Slightly more money but with a 1 year warranty, the Apollo lavatube is about $56 with the 30% off discount.
Apollo VTube Kit

But it has a 1 year warranty. Looks like only the mini is in stock which has a 700 mah battery and no cartos/clearos that come with it. You could purchase the end cap to use a 18650 battery if you want to.

Just another option. I don't own one so I can't really say which is a better deal in the long run. It's a very popular pv. Wanted to mention that I was a Newport smoker and really like nhalers nuport.

Nhaler - Smoking Alternatives

Chimney34

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2012
Thank you all for all of your help! I decided to go with high desert for my very first order! I'm soooo excited to get it...hopefully next week. I must say that they're customer service via email or by phone is excellent so if that says anything about their products then I should be in good hands!

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
Joyetech 1000mAh MEGA|Vision Stardust Bundle

This is what I decided on. Big batterie, refillable. Medium priced. I havent got it yet as befor said.

Be aware that an eGo "Upgrade" battery is not a true variable voltage, like a Twist or Spinner. It had two modes: a constant voltage mode at 3.3v, like a regular eGo; and an "unregulated" mode (which they call variable voltage - but read the fine print), which starts at around 4v, and lowers as the battery discharges. I have a 1000mah C-Upgrade and it might as well be a regular eGo. It works perfectly well, as a regular battery, but you can't switch the voltage back and forth like a true VV. I have Twists for that.

You might want to consider this one instead: http://www.valleyvapes.com/eGo-Twist-650-Starter-Kit--White_p_61.html

The batteries are only 650mah, but it's an okay starting point for the price. You can get a bigger one or a different kind after you've been vaping for awhile and have a better idea of what you like. The batteries are true twists, although not JoyeTech, but vendor is reputable. He also throws in one of his polypro tanks, which are little workhorses. Ray (the owner) has a chat thread in the suppliers forum.

Last edited:

Chimney34

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2012
That sounds awesome as well!! It sounds like ill be upgrading to something in the future once I finally get this whole vaping thing down! I'm so glad I found this site & so many people willing to share their thoughts & experiences because this was a bit overwhelming. I'll def keep all of those points in mind when moving up to my next model. Hopefully this is the beginning of me saying goodbye to my pack a day newport habit & hello to the new world of vaping!!

Chimney34

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2012
Be aware that an eGo "Upgrade" battery is not a true variable voltage, like a Twist or Spinner. It had two modes: a constant voltage mode at 3.3v, like a regular eGo; and an "unregulated" mode (which they call variable voltage - but read the fine print), which starts at around 4v, and lowers as the battery discharges. I have a 1000mah C-Upgrade and it might as well be a regular eGo. It works perfectly well, as a regular battery, but you can't switch the voltage back and forth like a true VV. I have Twists for that.

You might want to consider this one instead: eGo Twist 650 Starter Kit - White

The batteries are only 650mah, but it's an okay starting point for the price. You can get a bigger one or a different kind after you've been vaping for awhile and get a better idea of what you like. The batteries are true twists, although not JoyeTech, but vendor is reputable. He also throws on one of his polypro tanks, which are little workhorses. Ray (the owner) has a chat thread in the suppliers forum.

I've bookmarked this one!! The price is awesome as well! I may have already found my next purchase!

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
That sounds awesome as well!! It sounds like ill be upgrading to something in the future once I finally get this whole vaping thing down! I'm so glad I found this site & so many people willing to share their thoughts & experiences because this was a bit overwhelming. I'll def keep all of those points in mind when moving up to my next model. Hopefully this is the beginning of me saying goodbye to my pack a day newport habit & hello to the new world of vaping!!

You're on your way! Blue_Caterpillar_Emoticon_by_IMCullen.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread