Status
Not open for further replies.

Seanchai

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
Georgia, USA
Hi all. Apologies in advance, this will be a long post!

I'm 31 and started smoking when I was 22 and a friend introduced me to bidis. I hated smoking them, but I needed the pain relief - the leaf bidis are wrapped in has some pain killing properties that were the only thing keeping me sane when I had severe rhumatoid arthritis and no medical insurance (and thus no way to get it diagnosed until my Medicaid was finally approved, by which point every joint in my body was either locked up or swollen). I got my diagnosis and some actual medication (pain meds amongst them) and cut way back on the bidis (from half a pack to 3-4 a day) but they also helped the spasticity I deal with due to cerebral palsy, so I found myself unable to ditch them completely. Then they got banned, and that was that.

Except my mother was (at the time) a 2 1/2 PAD smoker, and smelling it on her clothes was making me crazy... so after about 2 months, I caved and started smoking her Marlboro Lights. Bad plan, of course, since cigs have a lot more chemicals in them than bidis generally do. Before I knew it, I was a PAD smoker... with asthma and a history of pneumonia (which I why I never should have gone near a cigarette of any kind, and I knew that at the time...)

Then about 3 years ago, mom became seriously ill (ICU for a month and a half, weren't sure if she'd live). I quit while she was in hospital, assuming she'd stay cig-free once she got out. She drove to the gas station for more cigarettes before she was even medically cleared to drive or off the oxygen. Again, I held out for about two months, then caved - though this time I strictly limited myself to half a pack a day.

Which is about what I was smoking in Late August of this year (mom, to her credit, was down to a pack, but couldn't cut down any further, COPD and night time oxygen use notwithstanding.)

Over the week prior to Labor Day weekend, I could feel non-standard asthma related stuff going on in my lungs that meant I was headed for trouble, so I quit cold turkey again (very easy to do when gasping for breath feels like sucking on burning cotton without any smoking going on in the vicinity!) My usual asthma meds weren't doing enough, so the Tuesday after Labor Day (about 8 days analog free), I went to the doctor, and ended up with an ambulance ride to the ICU with bilateral pneumonia and plurisy. Right there I decided August 27 2013 was my once and for all quit date, if I lived to tell the tale, because I was quite plainly killing myself.

Detoxing from smokes is easy as pie when you literally can't breathe - I ended up having to use an external ventilator for a week and still couldn't do anything (type, speak, think too hard about something) without remembering to let the vent do its job and push the next breath in. Scary stuff... smoking was the furthest thing from my mind.

Seeing me in such rough shape scared mom badly, and she promised to quit, knowing that it was all the second hand smoke that tempted me back toward smoking in the first place (Our whole family has *very* addictive personalities.) I knew she wouldn't be able to make it all the way to "former smoker" by the time I was out of the hospital (15 days total), and she didn't... she's now down to a PAD rather than 2 1/2, which still deserves praise!

I was totally fine with being a non-smoker (proud, actually) until I came home... unfortunately being around that 1 PAD is driving me nuts. I don't want a cigarette - I can smell how much they stink now, and I've broken my nicotine addition - but god, when I smell the smoke on her clothes, it's so easy to want-one-that-I-don't-really-want, especially since mom and I used to smoke outside on the patio and have great conversations... i miss the social aspects of smoking more than smoking, which I now view as a nasty, filthy habit.

And I know as sure as the sun will rise in the east that if mom doesn't quit, I'm going to start sneaking cigs... which would probably kill me within a year, considering the condition my lungs are in. I also know that mom had disastrous results on the patch, the gum, and the inhaler... she's pretty much still smoking cause she hasn't found something equal to or better than, in terms of being able to get her nicotine in a way that fits her job and lifestyle.

Saturday afternoon I had her look at the halo G6 and explained about it. (She's 60 and wouldn't use anything that doesn't look like a cigarette, at least not to start out). To my surprise, she lit up and said, "I think I could do that! Can you order some with 0 nicotine for you, and then we could still sit on the patio and talk?

So, after a lot of research and triplechecking the bank account, I got a G6 kit and a mini tank for each of us. (I suspect mom will prefer the carts, but I figured it would feel more "we're in this together" if we both have the same options on our gear to start. If she doesn't like the tank, one more tank for me. :) )

There's three things I already know I'm going to prefer in the long run, because I'm a tinkerer - variable voltage, the ability to buy parts from multiple companies, and tanks; and more specifically, I'm going to need at least a few tanks that don't crack, because I like colas, citruses, all those "crack your tank" flavors.

My birthday is next month, so I'm looking at getting a Vision Spinner VV ego when November rolls around. Tanks I'm looking at include the Smoktech ARO and the Kanger MT3... maybe also the aluminum Vivi Nova. (I know the Kanger MT3 is prone to cracking too, but at least this way I'll have two that I can count on not to crack and a spare that I'll need to be a little more careful with).

Are there any other tanks I should be considering (preferably at a $20 or less price point) and/or are there any pyrex tanks out there for the 808 yet? My tentative plan at the moment is to get a 808-510 adapter so that I can use them on either battery and make my upgrade purchases a little at a time as finances permit.

And yes, I'll be vaping 0 nic (no desire to put that monkey back on my back), and probably only casually (nights, weekends, 5-10 minute "former smoke breaks" with the parental unit.)

Anyone see any major flaws in this plan or have better gear to rec me? I have to do whatever is in my power not to let myself go back to analogs - they'll kill me first and my mother shortly thereafter, and we rather like not being dead.

fabricator4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Mackay, Qld. Australia
The Kanger Protank 2 is excellent, and the little version of it is the mini Protank. Pyrex, so no problems with any juice. You could also consider the iTaste VV V3 for the battery. It has VV, VW, and an ohmmeter. $24.80 iTaste VV V3.0 Variable Voltage / Wattage 800mAh Rechargeable Battery - w/ USB charging cable at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

It would be an ideal setup for your Mum too - set it to 6.5 watts and no fuss, just clouds of vapour that are likely to work much better than a cigalike to keep her happy.

blondeambition3

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
FL, USA
blondeambition3.wix.com
If I were you, I'd purchase Products within the USA

For just under $40 each you can have a complete starter kit from MaxVaper

2 E-MAX MANUAL BATTERIES2 E-MAX TANKS WITH COILS
1 NEEDLE NOSE LIQUID BOTTLE
1 USB CHARGER
1 AC WALL ADAPTER
5 EXTRA E-MAX COILS
* BONUS CARRY CASE FOR ON THE GO!

*** EXTRA BONUS! NOW INCLUDES YOUR CHOICE OF A 10ML BOTTLE OF MAX E-LIQUID!
http://www.maxvaper.com/Default.asp

IMHO the very best starter Kit deal... (bar none):vapor:

Seanchai

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
Georgia, USA
Thanks for the quick reply, fabricator. I'll put both of those on the list! I think mom might want to upgrade eventually too - right now she's stuck on wanting it to look like a cig, but she has an appreciation for no-muss-no-fuss since she's a bus driver with two disabled kids and never enough hours in the day, lol. So good to know that the iTaste might be a good option for her, too.

Seanchai

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
Georgia, USA
Denrock, yup, I've got 2 smoktech AROs and some replacement heads sitting in the cart for when I've got enough money to pull the trigger on it. Medical expenses meant that two G6 kits and some juice were about as far as the budget would stretch this month. Thanks for the good wishes... I'm more proud of my mother for being willing to take this step than myself, honestly... she's been smoking much longer and more heavily than I have, and she's finally ready to do this for me *and* herself. Hopefully we can function as each other's support system (the main reason I'm getting identical gear to hers, to start out) and find success.

As far as me, I never should have taken that first drag off that first bidi, and I knew it... but when you're in so much pain you're seriously considering how many times you'd have to hit your head on the floor to knock yourself unconscious, you make all kinds of lousy decisions. I think I can roll this one back as long as mom doesn't backslide too much.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
Hi and welcome to the forum!

Thank you for sharing your story. Be aware that everyone on the forum is here to help you and support you on your journey. You will likely come across threads where debates can get a little heated (not much though, since we have very good mods), but really it's just the members who have gotten deeper into vaping as a hobby and are passionate about their favorite toys. The folks do have your interests at heart: they want you to have the best vaping experience you can, which makes it easier to stay off of cigarettes; and to perhaps not go through as much of a learning curve as they did, which might not be possible.

Anyway, as I said, Welcome!

Last edited:

Seanchai

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
Georgia, USA
You will likely come across threads where debates can get a little heated (not much though, since we have very good mods), but really it's just the members who have gotten deeper into vaping as a hobby and are passionate about their favorite toys. The folks do have your interests at heart: they want you to have the best vaping experience you can, which makes it easier to stay off of cigarettes; and to perhaps not go through as much of a learning curve as they did, which might not be possible.

Hi Ocelot, and thanks for the welcome! I've been lurking here and researching like a fiend ever since I got out of hospital two weeks ago, so between that and the fact that I'm something of a message board veteran, I know how heated things can get at times when people are passionate about the subject at hand; I take it in the spirit in which it's meant. :) As a matter of fact, the passionate threads are some of the ones I've come to appreciate the most, simply because it all seems geared toward trying to help people save money and find something they can be happiest with... and that's useful to me. I have a very good friend who's been trying to quit with gas station ecigs and immediately steered him here for more information than I could ever provide, so I can already tell that this site is an incredible resource.

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

Bassnorma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2013
Geekville, USA
would definitely recommend anything by kanger

I am also a fan of the Kanger (specifically T3S for Ego style batteries). Also, there is so much great info on this site. I am taking the liberty to post a link to a very good blog from Baditude (who can pretty much be trusted to have an answer to most any vaping question) http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-carto-tank-what-guide-juice-attachments.html

As a PV begineer, I stuck to Clearomizers but I am now reaching out to Cartomizer land to see if I like that too! ;)

Taste is subjective. I am of the mind to try a few different things until I settle on the sweet vape that I can rely on to make me happy. Outside of that, the mechanical aspects of things are very well explained in the above blog.

Happy vaping!

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
I'd upstep on the MT3 and go the MT3S, the newest version of the T3/MT3 family. Difference in the two is the base and coil head in the T3S/MT3S are sepperate pieces, where the older T3/MT3 the head and coil head are the same unit. The T3S replacement heads are a bit cheaper.

Welcome the community and very good luck to you and your mom on your road to cig free =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread