newbie question about ohm & ga, please help :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

piggypinggy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
hi guys, I'm kind of new to vaping. I've being vaping with around 1.0ohm. I built it with 28 GA single coil.
I have a question... if I build a 1.0 ohm with 24GA, does it taste same with 1.0ohm with 28GA?
today I tried a new 0.5 ohm with 24GA... I don't know why it just tastes better.....sorry for my bad english, and thanks for reading :D
all the best !

---------
one more question please,
why my 0.5 ohm build seems harder to fire than 1.0 ohm build?
I actually need higher power to fire up a 0.5 ohm ?
Thanks!

piggypinggy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
A 1.0 ohm build made from 24g wire will probably take a lot of power to heat up, because there is so much more wire to heat up than with the 28g.
The same goes for your 0.5 ohm build. 24g is, in my opinion, for much lower builds. I would recommend that you use a 26g for a 0.5 ohm coil.

thanks for the help! that's what I was thinking but I remember that lower ohm = lower power, I don't get why I use 24G with 0.5ohm would need higher power than 1.0 ohm with 30G :D btw, does it taste different??

Last edited:

piggypinggy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
A 1.0 ohm build made from 24g wire will probably take a lot of power to heat up, because there is so much more wire to heat up than with the 28g.
The same goes for your 0.5 ohm build. 24g is, in my opinion, for much lower builds. I would recommend that you use a 26g for a 0.5 ohm coil.

why do u suggest 26g ?:D thx

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
It's all about the mass of the coil that affects heating delay. If you wind a coil with 32ga it will heat quickly because the wire is smaller and the current flow from the battery will heat it quicker. Using 24ga the wire is heavier and has the ability to sink more heat before it reaches temperature. It's kind of like waiting for a pot of water to boil. The more water (mass) in the pot the longer it takes to boil for a given burner temperature.

The link below leads to a calculator for winding ecig coils. As you make changes you can see variables such as heat flux and heat capacity change.
Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

Last edited:

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Yes, the larger the wire, the smaller the resistance and the more power is needed to heat it.

P = v^2 ÷ r

V is the voltage of the battery, which is 4.2 on a fully charged battery. R is the coil resistance. 4.2^2 = 17.46.

So for your 1 ohm coil:
P = 17.46 ÷ 1 = 17.46W

For your 0.5 ohm coil:
P = 17.46 ÷ 0.5 = 34.92W

The 0.5 ohm coil requires twice the power of the 1 ohm coil.

Your 26g wire will heat up faster than the 24g and probably give you a more pleasurable experience.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
why do u suggest 26g ?:D thx

If you use the Steam Engine link above it will show 7.65 wraps for 26ga and 5.11 wraps for 24ga at .5 ohms. The more wraps the more coil surface is exposed to the juice in the wick. There's an optimum point for vaporization. Coil length plays into the efficiency level of vaporizing the juice. A wider coil (more wraps) touches more juice on the wick. Too wide and your battery has to heat more wire than you need to produce vapor.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
thanks for the help guys, this thing gives me headache, going to practice rebuilding more :)

8 wraps is common just because it fits most RBA's and provides a suitable contact area on the wick. 3mm is a good coil diameter. You have to play with the coil design to best fit your RBA. Use organic or Japanese cotton for the wicking.

Check out Rip Trippers on YouTube for good video tutorials. Rip is a little crazy, but entertaining and very good with showing and explaining how to wrap a coil on most of the popular atomizers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread