Newbie? Read this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry B

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2011
Nashville TN
Hello, Just like many of you i am new here myself, i have only been vaping for 24hrs. But let me share something with you. I had been a chain smoker for the past 25 years (full flavor menthol 100's). I was a monster, man if you gave me a menthol flavored rock i would try and smoke it. I got interested in PV (personal vaporizer) when a friend and i were talking about wanting to quit and wondering if it would work. Now i have done it all man, i mean the gum, the patch, the lozenge, zyban, chantrix, the inhaler, hypnosis, cold turkey, so on and so on but never could quit.

First e-cig i tried was last week it was the Blu e-cig. Did not know anything about them but i found it at walgreens so i picked one up. It tasted like a mules backside lol actually it was not bad in and of itself but certainly not what i was looking for. But hey i am committed (some say i should be as well) to tossing the old cig. so i spent lots and lots of hours checking out the web for any info i could get on e-cigs.

I found a site that was actually local. they were not the biggest store but i could drive to the warehouse and pick up my order the place is Pure Smokers (Nashville). I decided on brand and model, i truely think that was the hardest choice i ever made. So many thing to choose from and while i am happy with what i picked i see it as a starting point.

Anyway i went with the eGo -T (T stands for tank). There are a number of different systems and this is what i want to tell you about. When your the new guy on the block its all confusing cause you have no comparison. So i suggest you pick something and go with it, sure you may end up wanting to try something different, but it gives you that all important starting point.

So i went with a tank system and for me personally i like it. Of course bing the Obsessive compulsive i am i will try everything as time goes on. But for a starting point i cant say enough about this little eGo T.

Some other stuff i quickly learned are as follows

1) slow deep drags, this not a cig you have to vape slowly then the clouds will roll.
2) Right now i am puffing 32mg nicotine juice. bit strong but it works for me. I start high cause its easier to gauge success when your cravings are being met.
3) Drink lots of water, vaping will give you cotton mouth.

As i said i am just starting like you but i found something extremely different about this than evedry single method i ever tried. With the gum and all that other crap, i still wanted a cig. Those things helped the craving but i still wanted it. Its been 24hrs now without a cig and i dont even want one not even to compare.

I figured by now i would be wanting one if for no other reason than for that taste, now i find i am wondering what other flavors of vape i would like lol

Look i am rambling here so let me cut to the chase. I was a major support of big tobacco, hell over the years i put a number of executives children through college. But in one night ONE NIGHT i dont even crave a cig. If i can do it you certainly can so hang though and jump in.

This place is loaded with lots of friendly and helpful people its a great place to learn and make friends.

Michael Curry

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2011
Panama City, FL
Congrats and Welcome!

Your story is very similar to mine. Right down to the "quitting in a single night".

OK, all you non-members here who are just checking things out... Welcome! You read something like this and you may think, 'yeah, if it sounds too good to be true, it usually isn't'. But the key word there is "usually". Vaping is one of the very rare cases where miracles can and do happen. Every day. Get off the fence - join us. Then you'll see. We're not just 'blowing smoke'... we don't smoke.

alanselo

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2011
Las Cruces, NM
Welcome, kinda new to all this too. Stories like yours offer encouragement to those on the fence and those who might have lost hope of ever quitting cigarettes, like me. My story and I am sure many other's are similiar to yours. Good luck and find that magic combination, it does take a little time and experimentation.

Survivors Mom

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Texas
Way to go Jerry! Pretty much the same story here... smoked 38 years and couldn't find the magic number to quit by. That is until my eG0 T came in the mail. I have a Go-Go Pro also now, but my eGo T is my favorite. I love my tanks and am learning quickly to love the EMDCC's also. Haven't had a cigarette since I took that first draw off my pv and haven't missed it for a single second! And ahhhh... the flavors! I hope you continue to enjoy vaping as much as you are now, but I'd bet it's a given that you will. Congrats!

MsTick

ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2011
California
Yes, this.

Fence sitters, or enthusiastic-but-I-can't-decide-what-type-to-getters, just do it. A 510 will work, A KR808 will work, a tank will work, a carto or cart and atty, an eGo, a RIVA, Vapor4Life, any of the ECF vendors will sell you something that will work. You can tweak your vaping experience later, and your original purchase will not be wasted - you will use it or give it to a friend who wants to try it, or sell it in the classifieds. The first step may be a little intimidating, just buy what looks good to you and fits your budget (remember that the $6 or $20 per day you're spending on cigs will soon be staying in your pocket) and try it.

oldpaintdoc

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2011
Allegan, Michigan
It's amazing isn't it.
I tried an vGo(eGo knock off) at a fair. I didn't buy it that day.
But I went back 2 days later on bought a starter kit.
Have not smoked since.
Since then I have converted it to the tank system just like eGo-T.
Have bought several flavored juices and have not looked back.
I also think that most new vapors find a good brick and mortor store to start.
Much easier to decide when you can put your hands on the product and get questions answered face to face.

It is amazing isn't it!

my4jewels

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 12, 2011
Maine
Some great posts here! I, too, was a smoker for 40+ years. The day I started vaping, 5-5-11, was the day I quit smoking. The satisfaction I have found in vaping is difficult to express. I thought I'd be taking a drag off of a cigarette as I took my final breath, but I have overcome the analogs. I have been vaping for nearly 6 months now, and it just keeps getting better and better. Kudos to the OP, you really made me smile.

OMGlis50

Oct 22, 2011
Mays Landing,NJ
Hello Jerry and everyone,

I be a newbie too,it's about a week no anologs now and I love it....
I find it true your sense of smell comes back, I know, my car stinks
of stale anolog smoke,P U...I even think my taste buds are slowly
coming back with tasting food...I have to look forward to no more
burning holes in my clothes from fly away lite ashes...I'm very happy
vaping, wish I started this years ago.....

JQside

ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2011
Canada
My deciding to quit smoking preceded the vaping in my case. So the decision to quit analogs is already there. I managed to get through a smoke-free week before I discovered the availability of e-cigs in one of the local convenience stores. I was surprised, actually, at a time when I really needed them. I've known about e-cigs about a year ago and didn't bother to know more about them simply because they can't be found in a physical store. And maybe because I wasn't ready to quit analogs yet.

And so the ones I got from the convenience store were of the generic, low quality types that were not actually cheap. Two sets cost me $56, $28, respectively which included tax -- the price of a longer lasting EGO. They did help me lessen the craving and managed another smoke-free week. At that point my interest in ecigs got ignited and ordered sets of e-cigs online mainly the tank types.

Long story short and having initially vaped with generic ecigs (two and three-piece types, ie, batteries with short battery life, cartomizers, cartridges), the Ego-T is working fine for me. I've discarded the 510-T and vape less of the 510, cartridge type.

I've smoked menthol all my smoking life, also, but the difference is that vaping menthol gives me the throat hit even without nicotine. I also use other non-menthol flavors but with nicotine. Otherwise, the TH won't be there for me.

:2cool:

ChodaBoy

ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2011
Florida
Great story and I was the same way one day smoker to vaper and huge pro- vape guy my friends were first on my list of dirty smokers to reform lmao. then my mom, weird order but just lack of comunication. now everyone i meet that asks about what i'm doing, usually a smoker because i still go outside to vape when i'm out, just to be polite. love the vape i keep turning people on to it and love hearing about a new ex- dirty smoker lmao
Vape On People!

Jerry B

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2011
Nashville TN
Thanks everyone. Do you newbies see just how many success stories you have here. We are the few that posted a response think of the many who lurk or just dont have time to read every post. It amazes me just how powerful a little device can be.

I'm sure some of you are worried about the price of all this. I admit i suck at math but this is soooooo easy let work it out.
lets say you spend $40 on a carton a week, thats $140 a month! $140 is a high dollar PV. I spent $113 for the eGo T starter set and a handful of juices. The question is no can i afford it, but rather how can i not lol

But more importantly when i first started smoking i never really enjoyed it, by the end i was smoking not to feel good but to not feel bad. With vaping i actually enjoy it, the flavors the nic burn but without all the uber bad stuff that will kill you.

Your not alone people. Look at how many people chimed in wishing me well and welcoming me to the fold. These people dont know me from adam lol this is like my 3 day here and they reach out with ease. always eager to offer advice and friendship. Gotta love a group like that.

ChodaBoy

ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2011
Florida
Thanks everyone. Do you newbies see just how many success stories you have here. We are the few that posted a response think of the many who lurk or just dont have time to read every post. It amazes me just how powerful a little device can be.

I'm sure some of you are worried about the price of all this. I admit i suck at math but this is soooooo easy let work it out.
lets say you spend $40 on a carton a week, thats $140 a month! $140 is a high dollar PV. I spent $113 for the eGo T starter set and a handful of juices. The question is no can i afford it, but rather how can i not lol

But more importantly when i first started smoking i never really enjoyed it, by the end i was smoking not to feel good but to not feel bad. With vaping i actually enjoy it, the flavors the nic burn but without all the uber bad stuff that will kill you.

Your not alone people. Look at how many people chimed in wishing me well and welcoming me to the fold. These people dont know me from adam lol this is like my 3 day here and they reach out with ease. always eager to offer advice and friendship. Gotta love a group like that.
----------------------------------------------
Jerry you're the shiz with a z. Jsut got home from bowling snd let me tell you. I drank a whole pitcher of craft beer, had a shot, and had a high dollar crown and coke, and not one person .....ed about my vaping in a nonsmoking bowling alley. averaged 150 and had a blast messing with people. wish you were there. unfortunatly there were more people there with analogs than lanes available for bowling.
Vape On People!

AutumnWolf

Absinthe Minded Diva!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Florissant, MO
Hey Jerry - what a great story! It amazes me every day to read more and more stories of people putting down nasty cigarettes for good!! I, like most, had no intention of quitting thinking that it would never work. But the day my little KR808D1 arrived was the last day I smoked! I was a 25+ year smoker!! No cravings for me either, even when I'm outside vaping with my smoking friends. No desire to ever pick one up again. Every day I am so thankful that I found this website - I am so happy that so many lives are being saved! :)

Kazoo

Oct 15, 2011
San Antonio Texas
I LOVE IT!!! Jerry you have made me smile twice in one night! Bravo! Hearing stories similar to mine is always a good thing.
Quitting the nasty stinky cigs is an even better thing! Keep it up man and pass on the word! I think the future of smoking is vaping now!

I actually work at a smoke shop (head shop) and I am always sitting there with my ecig and have people constantly come up to me asking about it, thankfully we sell e-cigs at our store. In the two weeks I've worked there I've sold a couple e-cigs. Even the guy I work with vapes. IT'S ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread