Newbie to the world of clearomizers. Disappointed with my new EVOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sd13

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2013
NJ
After dealing with the frustration with the ego-c tanks & atties for about 2 months i decided to go the clearomizer route. Because there are so many conflicting opinions regarding top coil, bottom coil, dual & single coil etc., i decided to buy one of each. Here are my complaints i have for each clearo that is in my hands right now:

• Vision stardust ce5: incosistent taste, plasticy flavor (even after cleaning and soaking in vodka)
  • Vision Mini Vivi Nova. Muted flavor as of late
  • Kanger EVOD: Horrible metallic taste that refuses to go away even after thorough cleaning, refilling etc. Only when the tank is 100% full do i get a good flavor. When its below 80% the flavor starts becoming extremely mute and metallic to the point where it is unvapeable. However, when the tank is completely full, it gives me outstanding flavor.
  • Vision Dual Coil Ego clearomizer 1.8 ohm (the one that looks like a stardust and is similar to the iclear 16.): Great flavor. Possibly the best flavor & vapor production out of all of them, no metallic or plasticy taste. However, i do not like the fact that it drains through the liquid at a very rapid pace.

Any suggestions on how to improve the quality of my clearos? Any other clearos that may solve the issues that i am having with these? I am using an ego-c twist and a standard ego battery. Form factor is important to me, which is why i am not considering any of the 'fatty' clearos such as the protank, iclear 30, etc. (only as a last resort).

rswift90

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
Rochester, NY
I'm sorry that you are having issues with your clearos :-( I went from cartos to clearomizers so I don't have much to compare them to in terms of flavor with other devices. I can say that I just started using an evod a couple days ago, and I was having the same issue that you are with yours. I did soak mine in alcohol and let dry over night because the flavor was plasticy and just awful. I then took out one of the flavor wicks (leaving only one) and this seems to have solved the problem. I would also recommend (depending on the vendor you purchased your evod from) replacing the default head with a genuine replacement coil, or perhaps rebuilding one yourself.

Good luck!

Also, check the ohm of your head on your evod coil and vape at the proper voltage. Too high of a voltage on a head can produce some ungodly tasting vapor.

Last edited:

Sd13

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2013
NJ
Cartos are not the answer for me. I really do not want to go through the hassle. When my clearos work, they work great. They are just very inconsistent. I am vaping my evod at 1.8 ohms and variable voltage at 3.2-3.5v.
I tried 2 replacement coils and i was seeing the same result. However, I just removed the top wick and the metallic taste is gone! I am noticing that the vape is warmer as well with the top wick removed. Thanks alot for the pointer. Hopefully the rancid taste wont creep back.

Last edited:

Sd13

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2013
NJ
For flavor, I'm a dripping fan. Not convenient for on the go, but nice while at home. I learned to drip with a standard 650mAh eGo.

I drip at home using a 510 on my ego twist. :) I must agree, dripping destroys most other setups. However, it is impossible for me to drip at work, in the car, or when im out. That is where most of my time is spent and most of my liquid is consumed.

Sd13

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2013
NJ
I just removed 2 EVOD's from their plastic pouches this morning, and did a plain water rinse and dry. I've had no problems with taste using either of them on a VV/VW or a standard EGO. Did your EVOD come in the protective bag or was it shipped to you loose and unsealed?

jfrich:

It is original kanger and sealed in its plastic protective bag and so were the replacement atties. I am thinking maybe it is a quality control issue with a bad batch. I am noticing that most people are not experiencing the metallic taste, but some are.

Sd13

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2013
NJ
I'm sorry that you are having issues with your clearos :-( I went from cartos to clearomizers so I don't have much to compare them to in terms of flavor with other devices. I can say that I just started using an evod a couple days ago, and I was having the same issue that you are with yours. I did soak mine in alcohol and let dry over night because the flavor was plasticy and just awful. I then took out one of the flavor wicks (leaving only one) and this seems to have solved the problem. I would also recommend (depending on the vendor you purchased your evod from) replacing the default head with a genuine replacement coil, or perhaps rebuilding one yourself.

Good luck!

Also, check the ohm of your head on your evod coil and vape at the proper voltage. Too high of a voltage on a head can produce some ungodly tasting vapor.

With the top wick removed, the flavor is night and day! No more foul taste, just great flavor now! But i am afraid it may be leaking slightly now. How do you manage to stop it from leaking with the top wick being removed?

jfrich

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2013
Texas Hill Country
It is original kanger and sealed in its plastic protective bag and so were the replacement atties. I am thinking maybe it is a quality control issue with a bad batch. I am noticing that most people are not experiencing the metallic taste, but some are.

It could be that they are not being cleaned properly before being packaged or that the bag is contaminated, and that is where the odd taste is coming from "Captain Obvious of course":D. You might inquire about returning it for a replacement, although with the return shipping it might not be worth the cost.

jfrich:

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
To many device failures. Sounds like you are Vaping a fairly thick liquid.
That is why removing a wick helped.
You can probably use the liquid in the others also with a drop or two of distilled water mixed in.

The one that uses to much e-liquid.............Nope, you just like it and are vaping more. They all only use what you can vape, unless leaking out the bottom.:)

peraspera

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2012
midwest
I find that all clearos mute flavor. I don't like the taste that even slightly dirty coils produce on any device so I clean and dry burn everything after running 2.5–3 ml. of juice through them. It helps somewhat with maximizing the flavor from clearos.

This Phil Busardo video shows how to clean, dry burn and rebuild a Vivi Nova. Skip the rebuilding part at the end if it doesn't interest you. There are other videos on YouTube that will show you the specifics of cleaning, dry burning and rebuilding most clearos although the basics are pretty much the same as shown in Phil's tutorial.

It is very desirable to make as many positive associations with vaping as possible if you want to stay off cigarettes. If your dual coils float your boat you might want consider that the money spent on the bit of extra juice they use a good investment.

If you want to do dripping on the go you might want to take a close look at bottom feeders like the Reo or Vapage VMOD or an atomizer tank like Avid Vaper's AMP Tank. The VMOD XL and accessories are on sale this week for 50% off with the coupon code VY96R if you want to give that a try. Reos are more expensive but allow the use of some rebuildable dripping attys.

You can use the AMP Tank (very expensive) on a tube mod which means that you can use it with VW that can be easily adjusted with an external button. Some people find the AMP Tanks fiddly but I haven't and own three.

FISH4HC

Apr 5, 2013
CALIFORNIA
Evods are pretty darn good imho. I have tried most all of the clearos and evod is my second favorite behind my new favorite the ismoka bcc.

I have found that you can get some bum attys as well. even a few in a row if you bought them from the same place. Ive had some qq issues with a few very reputable places just sometimes the attys arent right. I swear even my first two attys in my ismoka were shotty and lasted me like 2 days. 3rd atty and its been a few weeks now.

I too was going to remove top wick but was afraid of leaking issues. My evods with good heads hit great and have great flavor.

Beerbrah

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
San Antonio, TX
I've only been vaping for about 2 months now, but I only use Evods and 1 Protank. Never had a problem with Evods, except for for when I load a new flavor I tend to vape it right away and get dry hits. Tastes horrible. Maybe wait a few minutes before you vape to make sure the wicks are saturated. That or take a few pulls without pressing the button to get the liquid into the wicks.

Also, I did have to remove 1 of the wicks on the last set of the Evods I get, but I use liquids with heavier VG.

ghola1was

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 20, 2013
NV USA
I'm surprised that nobody is mentioning how difficult it is to find replacement heads for a clearo. unless you get them from the same retailer the heads probably won't fit the clearo that you have. You wind up spending money on things that you can't use.

Nice thing about an Evod and ProTank rotation is that the ProTank coils work great in the Evod. I read that Kanger was only going to be shipping the ProTank coils, so I tried some in my Evods with no difficulties. So finding replacements won't be a problem for the foreseeable future.

Heads also should be less confusing, though not interchangeable.

BlueMoods

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2010
USA - Arkansas
I get the metallic taste with any Kanger head but, I've very sensitive to that, even canned tomatoes have a metallic taste, as does canned soda pop to me. A good washing and, replacing the wicks with 100% cotton does the trick, just have to be sure to let them have a couple of minutes to saturate after filling and, re wick when I clean them is all - love my protanks once clean and wicked to my liking. Out of the box, well first hit or two good, after that, the metallic taste starts.

Might be you are equally sensitive to even a faint metallic taste and what others would never notice is pronounced to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread