News from facebook feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

rainkeltoia

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2011
Maine
A local news facebook feed had this up: DOT Moves To Ban E-Cigarettes On Planes - National News Story - WMUR New Hampshire with the question posed: "We ran a story on E-cigs some time ago. Some say they are a great alternative...others say the devices need more study before they're ruled safe. Should they be allowed on flights?-SEAN"

I was getting ready to respond and looked at the first comment and it made me smile. I don't know who this woman is, and I won't copy her name, but this is what she wrote: "history shows how the ignorant always "FREAKOUT about things they dont know about...educate yourself...read up on it...ask questions,.."
And then I posted a response, but I was glad to see that the only comments on there were mine and hers and both basically said the same thing, don't be ignorant.

My comment: "really the only reason to ban it is to placate the ignorant. There have been numerous studies done that show that there is nothing harmful expelled with electronic cigarettes (New Zealand Institute). There's more harmful things expelled with the farts from the cruddy food on planes than from electronic cigarettes."

rainkeltoia

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2011
Maine
here are some more, it actually makes me quite happy to see these, its from locals (New Hampshire) :D https://www.facebook.com/wmur9 that's the Facebook for the news station but I can't link directly to the post sadly
1. my co worker has one... they are pretty cool. every time I see him drag off it, it still causes me to double take... but its totally harmless to me... water vapor...

2. Yes...this is getting crazy now...the whole battle was second had smoke...case solved with the ban...now they are trying to regulate the perceived IDEA of smoking....these e-cigs emit water and CO2...what about candy cigarettes or putting a pen on your mouth and mimic smoking...these e-cigs are designed to help people quite smoking...tell people they can't use them and the first thing they will do is get off the plane and buy a pack of real smokes....it is getting ridiculouse....!

3. The scare about the elec cigs is more about the government's control of the people, taxes and fear than any possible harm coming from them. This would be general knowledge if the government would test them. They won't though, because if they are deemed safe, people would switch to them from traditional cigs.....costing the government a lot of $ in taxes. They are deemed perfectly safe in other countries. **I am an ex smoker..I quit 1.5 years ago. I did try an elec cig though before quitting & thought they were a great alternative!**

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Good grief, ignorance is rampant. This was posted as a comment on the web page that contains the news story.

consider this, you are sitting there in your seat, and some guy in a turbin is puffing away on his e-cig. do you really think you are going to sit idly by and say "oh, its just water vapor , nothing to be concerned about"? Hel no. People are going to come unglued and swear to god that the middle eastern e-cig smoker has to be blowing anthrax or some new virus into the air in an attempt to kill everybody on board. Its a nightmare waiting to happen.....just ban it now and save us all the trouble.
Read more: DOT Moves To Ban E-Cigarettes On Planes - Travel News Story - WMUR New Hampshire

Right after 9/11 there were reports of attacks on people wearing turbans (<- not "turbins") because the ignorant attackers believed the turban-wearers were from the Middle East. We really need more teaching of world geography in our school system. Turns out that the folks being attacked were Asians, not Middle Easterners. They were followers of the Sikh religion which orginated in India.

Distribute a virus by blowing it out of one's mouth? Duh! That's done all the time, but you don't need vapor for that. Ever hear of the flu?

But if lots of folks on the plane were using PVs, then the PG from their vapor would kill the virus being exhaled by the guy wearing the turban. Problem solved.

Wait, maybe the writer meant that the person was wearing a turbine on his head. That might provide a greater distribution area than just exhaling. We would need a lot of vapers to combat that!

Last edited:

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread