Not open for further replies.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
There's a social media site called NextDoor. It links people in neighborhoods. I signed up for my own neighborhood.

There was a thread this morning about a closed down Subway being refurbished in a nearby trendy main street, it's mostly bars and restaurants. Someone asked what was going on there. Turned out it was a new Vape Shop. Actually an existing one moving down the road to better premises.

I read through the posts and it was depressing. Most of them were ignorant sneering anti vaping nonsense. One said "why does Carmel main street get good shops while we get the dregs". One snob opined that this was happening because there were a lot of apartments nearby and this would appeal to the "apartment set". One lady said, why couldn't we get a good doughnut shop instead of vaping (gross). One said "at least we know that vaping has peaked and won't be around much longer".

One guy said "funny, just yesterday I was thinking we needed a quality vaping shop in out neighborhood". Then I realized he was being sarcastic.

Not one positive comment out of a couple of dozen posts.

It's just a microcosm of what a lot of the world thinks of us. Vaping is just a gaggle of 20 something apartment dwellers with face piercings, and high school kids.

I replied as nicely as I could that almost all vapers were recovering cigarette smokers, and that the vape shop would probably save a lot more lives than another bar or doughnut shop.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I got cajoled into joining Nextdoor by one of my neighbors here in Florida. There's an awful lot of whining, complaining, and general negativity. I haven't seen in with respect to vaping, but the thread about (unofficial) fireworks last 4th of July was interesting to say the least.

Anyway, I'm not surprised at all by your observations.

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
Never checked it out but I'm not surprised at their attitudes. If you never smoked and had to quit you don't understand how vaping can save your life. Plus learning to make my own coils gives me something to do other than sit around complaining of pain and how I can't do anything. Vaping is not only saving my life but has given me a new attitude about life. Ignore them. They just don't get it.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
My town has a Facebook page. I joined so I’d know stuff like road maintenance, shops opening, little goings on. All these people do is whine. There were 300 replies to a comment about a business that opened that had an ugly sign. And their spelling is atrocious. I had to leave the group because it’s maddening how stupid my neighbors are. If I ever move, I’m going to lurk online first, see how smart the people are.

lil_buddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2017
My town has a Facebook page. I joined so I’d know stuff like road maintenance, shops opening, little goings on. All these people do is whine. There were 300 replies to a comment about a business that opened that had an ugly sign. And their spelling is atrocious. I had to leave the group because it’s maddening how stupid my neighbors are. If I ever move, I’m going to lurk online first, see how smart the people are.
But the smart don't post! They already gave up a long time ago or never bothered to begin with! I'm going to speculate it will be like that everywhere.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
I'm not sure if I'll ever quit vaping. Right now, I have no desire to. What I am sure about is I have successfully quit social media all together. 3 months and counting. Not even an itch to get involved with that malarkey. (Shout out to you, GoodNews) ECF is the closest thing to social media that I'm registered on. Thank you Mark Zuckerberg.

Another thing I'm pretty sure of is I doubt I'll ever care what non vapers think about my method of quitting smoking.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Man, I would NOT enjoy FB my neighbors. I can talk to them in person if I want. LOL.

I still have a FB account, but I very rarely enter and post. I don't have time for all that schmoozing/arguing/etc. Also, FB kind of turns people into people with a smartphone in my hand at all times.

My sister is nice, I'm sure she has a BILLION followers. She also has an "Apple watch" (don't ask me, it's not my thing) to you know, post stuff while she is training for marathons apparently. If there were an implant chip, she'd probably go for it.

Of course (she and her husband) fall in the millennial generation and they are running the world now. I value privacy and anonymity, she values a running (and probably, interesting) commentary about her life, 24-7. At Christmas gatherings, her family is on their phones/tablets etc. pretty much non stop.

I don't "blame" them exactly, it's nice to have various "outlets" at Christmas times in our household, but I kind of get the picture that she does this all the time, in a sort of "hamster on a wheel" type situation.

Oh yes, certainly, I wish my FB page were a thing of beauty and etc., but man, I will say, that's not my way to function. LOL. When computers with keyboards die, I sincerely hope I die with them.

LOL.

Anna

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Man, I would NOT enjoy FB my neighbors. I can talk to them in person if I want. LOL.

I still have a FB account, but I very rarely enter and post. I don't have time for all that schmoozing/arguing/etc. Also, FB kind of turns people into people with a smartphone in my hand at all times.

My sister is nice, I'm sure she has a BILLION followers. She also has an "Apple watch" (don't ask me, it's not my thing) to you know, post stuff while she is training for marathons apparently. If there were an implant chip, she'd probably go for it.

Of course (she and her husband) fall in the millennial generation and they are running the world now. I value privacy and anonymity, she values a running (and probably, interesting) commentary about her life, 24-7. At Christmas gatherings, her family is on their phones/tablets etc. pretty much non stop.

I don't "blame" them exactly, it's nice to have various "outlets" at Christmas times in our household, but I kind of get the picture that she does this all the time, in a sort of "hamster on a wheel" type situation.

Oh yes, certainly, I wish my FB page were a thing of beauty and etc., but man, I will say, that's not my way to function. LOL. When computers with keyboards die, I sincerely hope I die with them.

LOL.

Anna

I have a FB account and I recently posted something funny, was on there about 90 seconds to do so. I didn't read anything posted any anyone else. My previous post was in 2013. Gives an idea how much I use FB.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
We live in a pretty dense neighborhood and Nextdoor is mostly pretty regular stuff - people looking for a handyman, advice on owl houses, free and for sale things. I don't post myself.

I suspect it varies quite a bit area by area, with some good and bad.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
If I ever move again, I may use the NextDoor to help select the neighborhood. Look on the app and if it's all a bunch whining douche bags then look for a different neighborhood. When you find one where the people are being cordial and helpful then that is where you buy a house.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Social networks are not my thing. I do not, have not, and never will have an account on Facebook. I cannot stand drama, so I have no place in social media. If I need to know what's going on in my neighborhood, I turn on the local news, or open a news paper. The town I live in is about 1 square mile in size, so there really isn't much going on anyway.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Man my "Next Door" account would probably be full of Hit Planning (not music hits, nope) that and posting schedules of when OTHER communities were having freaking Neighborhood association meets so it's a good time to "rob."

We have a neighborhood (free) association that pretty much says "Do what you want on your property. LOL. No fees. It's merely THERE so no enterprising busybodies can come CREATE on because we don't play that (censored). LOL.

If I thought for a second my neighbors were on Next door, I'd join in a heartbeat. LOL.

My neighborhood is called "wonderland." It's full of grouchy but still functional elderly, the occasional kid farm, one dude had a fish farm, and whatnot. I love it here. My neighborhood is ONE thing that makes me want to stay in Tucson. LOL.

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread