NI200 wire and coil crud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
true coil killers like NET juices wont really do much better on nickel than kanthal as far as buildup, but IMO temp control deals with buildup better, going longer before you get a bad flavor cast. you can tell when the buildup happens because the temperature needs to be turned up.

but juices that were building up due to coil heat will not generate crud and last far longer. I want to say this includes juices with sweeteners but i have not empirically tested that.

Last edited:

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
So No dramatic difference then from Kanthal as far as buildup on nickel coils it sounds like.

Thanks for all the replies.

I clean my Kanthal coils by soaking in alcohol and the brushing very lightly with a small natural bristle artists brush with the bristles trimmed short.
Then rinse in hot water 130 deg or so hot.

Last edited:

Confuzzled1969

ECF Veteran
Sep 6, 2014
Gotebo OK
Does the NI200 wire used in temp control mode not crud up as fast? Not at all? Or does it depend on the temp you vape at?

Just curious as I see myself maybe headed in that direction in the future.

My thought is that since the wire runs cooler that it will not crud up as fast or not at all maybe?

In a little over a month, I have found that coil life for the OCC & RBA sections of the Subtank Mini is approximately two weeks.

However, this is highly variable from juice to juice.

That said, I did not achieve anywhere close to that coil life with Kanthal... I was lucky to get even a week out of Kanthal and some people get over a month...

Woofer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2014
PA, SK, CA
But dry burning a nickel coil, just slightly pulsing it, MAY or MAY NOT release something right? I'm no expert, didn't do much research, just going by what I read about.

I have researched this quite a bit and I do not think there are any health risks.
Ni200 will release a wee bit of carbon when heated, Ni200 can contain only 0.15% carbon as the maximum amount allowed.
The carbon lose is a concern when the Ni is structural, it causes a loss of ductility that could lead to parts failure.
It is rated by ANSI for service up to 600 F for pressure vessels and boilers. (because of material strength related to carbon leaching)

I am not a Doctor or an expert in metals.
I am a carbon based life form so I don't worry.
I can dry burn about 8 times before I feel the coil is worn out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread