Nic-salt with subohm mtl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakab

Aug 25, 2019
I'm using MTL 0.48ohm coils (Z-PLEX3D on a Zlide). Currently I'm using about 4.5mg freebase.
Is there anything wrong if I switch to nic-salts (lets say 6mg)?

I am getting mixed information over the internet: usually the claim is that nic-salts should be used with higher ohms, but nobody really gives a good explanation why.
Does the nic-salt have to burn under a high enough temperature to "release the nicotine"?

Any way, I'm confused about this. I get that nic-salts have less of a throat hit, so they are used if you want higher concentrations, but if one does not care about the hit, can one use low concentrations of nic salts on subohms MTL?

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Salts are chemically different from freebase but are essentially the same in use. They have less of a throat hit meaning they can be used at higher nicotine concentrations in devices that produce less vapor like pods and cigalikes.
So, if you find that using a high nicotine concentration gives you too much throat hit - Lower the nic level and increase the vapor production, or maybe try nic salts.
There is a lot of marketing hype about nic salts and some ensuing confusion about them.
There is also some controversy due to them allowing the use of super high nic concentrations in pods like the Juul arguably with the intent to addict a generation of kids.

Currently I'm using about 4.5mg freebase.
Its unlikely you would notice the difference, regardless of whether it was salt or freebase.

I am getting mixed information over the internet: usually the claim is that nic-salts should be used with higher ohms, but nobody really gives a good explanation why.
With a regulated device the resistance of the coil/s is essentially unimportant, the wattage is.
However low mass coils suitable for low power levels will usually be high resistance as they usually use less of a thinner wire.

Does the nic-salt have to burn under a high enough temperature to "release the nicotine"?
No. E-liquid should not be burned but vaporized. At high enough temps it will burn, but by then your atomizer will probably be in flames.

I get that nic-salts have less of a throat hit, so they are used if you want higher concentrations, but if one does not care about the hit, can one use low concentrations of nic salts on subohms MTL?
You are over thinking this.

• Agree
Reactions: DeloresRose

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I use mostly freebase, but also some salts. You can use salts any way, with any device that you’d use freebase nic.

I don’t notice any difference in hit at 6 mgs, I start to notice at higher levels. No way could I vape FB at 25 mg/ml, but salts are fine.

I use more FB because I diy, and it’s cheaper. I save the salts for my pods.

Purely anecdotal and probably just me, but I notice salts hit faster but FB seems to have a longer lasting effect. So I grab the pod when I need a quick fix, like first thing in the morning.

Plantsmantx

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2018
I'm using MTL 0.48ohm coils (Z-PLEX3D on a Zlide). Currently I'm using about 4.5mg freebase.

Any way, I'm confused about this. I get that nic-salts have less of a throat hit, so they are used if you want higher concentrations, but if one does not care about the hit, can one use low concentrations of nic salts on subohms MTL?
I've been using a couple of 18mg salt nic California Grown flavors in the 0.6ohm Vaporesso Podstick pods. They're labeled as sub-ohm salts and come in 3,6,12, and 18mg concentrations.

G and C

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2014
California
I've never had much luck doing MTL with sub-ohms period, nic salts or otherwise. That's not to say that it won't work for someone else. But if you're looking for something that works differently than your current setup, maybe trying higher ohms with lower wattage might be something to try. Again, with or without the nic salts.

• Agree

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I don't think the "MTL" sub0hm thing is really relevant any more, to be honest. There are a lot of "a bit below 1.0 ohm coils that are really MTL. Your setup sounds MTL.

Honestly I have not tried all that many different nic salts but I never much noticed absorption differences with them more just lack of throat hit.

I would just experiment and see what works for you or not. I'm sure the conversion process could make SOME difference.

I will say when I had a bad relapse HIGHER NIC was what got me to where I needed to be no longer craving cigarettes. I used nic salts, but at my prior levels their "supposed more absorption or faster or whatever was NOT noticeable to me compared to FB in any way. Maybe it's there, I have no clue. But for me it was all about more nic per puff, more quickly. Salts made me able to tolerate a higher nic setup I think, but that was about it.

Just you know, experiment we are all different in our vaping styles, preference, lengths of draw anyway.

There is no "Chart' that I know of which will give this type of info is what I'm saying. It may exist but I don't know of it.

• Agree
Reactions: Plantsmantx
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread