The "new-to-vaping cough" / nic salts vs freebase – user experiences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ylem

Dec 10, 2017
Oz
Hi all, I have a couple of questions regarding the "new-to-vaping cough" and nic salts.
  1. When I first switched to vaping, I was coughing a lot. Every vaper I've spoken with also mentioned coughing when switching to vaping—is this a common or even universal phenomenon? What causes it?

I'm going through a phase of giving away cheapish vapes to smokers who want to switch, and any lessening of that coughing phase would be a great help... which is where the nic salts come in, with a reportedly smoother throat hit at still-high nic levels.

2. In searching for a new MTL vape (mostly pods) nic-salt eliquid has been mentioned often, even coils specifically for nic-salt eliquid. I read some introductory articles on the differences, but I'm wondering about your experiences with nic salts.

Are there devices that can only vape nic-salt eliquid? If nic-salt eliquid provides a smoother vape, is the initial coughing phase ameliorated or even avoidable? Do nic-salt eliquids affect coil durability? Are flavours affected?
Thanks for any insight into either question. Happy vaping.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
I don't buy premixed ejuice any longer as I make my own. You can get NicSalt in several varieties. You can get nicsalt that provides a throat hit or nicsalt that minimizes the throat hit.

I didn't go thru coughing when I switched from smoking to vaping. I have only coughed from vaping when I either used too high a level of nicotine or cranked up the wattage and ended up with too hot or too much vapor.

NicSalt ejuice premade is usually used in Pod or MTL devices because most of the premade nicsalt ejuice is high nicotine level. Most sold is 35 MG/ML or 50 MG/ML. This level of nicotine is not really suitable for high output devices for Direct to Lung vaping. Too much nicotine will make you cough and might make cause some nicotine sickness symptoms.

As far as vaping devices only usable for NicSalt. Not really and issue. You can mix your own nicsalt in any concentration you want and vape it the same as you can mix freebase in any concentration you want and vape it. The device used would be based more on the nicotine strength than type.

Lots of manufacturers but here are two different from one supplier for mixing use. One minimum throat hit, the other providing throat hit.

PurNic Smooth Nicotine Salts

PurNic Hit Nicotine Salts

Reactions: Rossum

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Hi all, I have a couple of questions regarding the "new-to-vaping cough" and nic salts.
  1. When I first switched to vaping, I was coughing a lot. Every vaper I've spoken with also mentioned coughing when switching to vaping—is this a common or even universal phenomenon? What causes it?
Do you remember coughing when you first started smoking? It takes your body a little while to adjust.

When I got my first kit and took the initial drag or two, yep, I coughed. So I thought, perhaps I shouldn't inhale it quite so deeply. I started pulled the vapor into my mouth and just far enough into my throat to be able to expell it through my nose. Presto, no cough. And then a miracle occurred. Over the next four hours in my office, I didn't light a single cigarette.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
I agree with everything Beamslider said. I didn't cough when making the switch - in fact, it was a struggle for me to get enough throat hit.

Whether pod or atomizer, you can use any type of nic in either. It won't know what your nic formulation is.

Just an fyi, though - I have the PurNic Hit salt, and even at double the nic level of my freebase, it has far less throat hit than the FB. So if you're coughing, salts are probably a good option for you. That, and maybe reducing your PG/using higher VG. This assumes that you're coughing directly as a result of taking a hit - not getting a buildup of congestion.

But a little more info - what equipment/juice/wattage levels are you using that's making you cough?

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
Hi ylem. I am absolutely no expert on nic salts, but I was one who coughed (a lot) when I began vaping. And the cough continued for the longest time. (months, if I recall) I finally asked a doc about it, and she explained to me that due to the many years of smoking, I had really messed up the respiratory cilia, and all the "junk" in there really had to be dismissed (wink) so that the cilia could heal. It was actually a very important part of my (improved) health, via vaping.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Hi ylem. I am absolutely no expert on nic salts, but I was one who coughed (a lot) when I began vaping. And the cough continued for the longest time. (months, if I recall) I finally asked a doc about it, and she explained to me that due to the many years of smoking, I had really messed up the respiratory cilia, and all the "junk" in there really had to be dismissed (wink) so that the cilia could heal. It was actually a very important part of my (improved) health, via vaping.
Oh, THAT cough. I had it about half the times I'd quit smoking. Just a "clearing it all out" phase. Didn't happen every time, but was common. I was thinking in this case of a cough that happened when inhaling the vape. Different things completely. I may have been off on that assumption.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Oh, THAT cough. I had it about half the times I'd quit smoking. Just a "clearing it all out" phase. Didn't happen every time, but was common. I was thinking in this case of a cough that happened when inhaling the vape. Different things completely. I may have been off on that assumption.
Which just goes to show, we're all different. I never really had THAT cough at all.

Electrodave

LPV
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2015
Denver, CO
www.electrostring.com
The only serious difference between freebase and salt nicotine is that freebase nicotine is harsher on the throat. PG is also much harsher than VG. I like a smooth vape, so my juice recipe is 98% VG with salt nic at 20mg/ml. 1% vodka and 1% flavoring. Very smooth, the way I like it. The only drawback (of sorts) is that this formulation produces huge vapor.

Still, I cough every morning as my throat adjusts to vapor instead of smoke first thing in the morning. If I go a long time (over three hours or so) without vaping, I cough at first as well. Keep vaping small hits, and your throat will adjust.

I buy my salt nicotine here.

Liquid Nicotine - Nicotine Salts | Liquid Nicotine Wholesalers

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand

I'm going through a phase of giving away cheapish vapes to smokers who want to switch, and any lessening of that coughing phase would be a great help... which is where the nic salts come in, with a reportedly smoother throat hit at still-high nic levels.

2. In searching for a new MTL vape (mostly pods) nic-salt eliquid has been mentioned often, even coils specifically for nic-salt eliquid. I read some introductory articles on the differences, but I'm wondering about your experiences with nic salts.

Are there devices that can only vape nic-salt eliquid? If nic-salt eliquid provides a smoother vape, is the initial coughing phase ameliorated or even avoidable? Do nic-salt eliquids affect coil durability? Are flavours affected?
    Thanks for any insight into either question. Happy vaping.

First of all this part of your first post:
    "I'm going through a phase of giving away cheapish vapes to smokers who want to switch, and any lessening of that coughing phase would be a great help... which is where the nic salts come in, with a reportedly smoother throat hit at still-high nic levels."
    Means that you are officially awesome :thumb:

I started on very tight mtl tanks, with long drip tips, so mainly my coughing was the normal quit smoking hack. One my lungs could breathe again, I had very little coughing with vaping (unless I tried direct to lung :lol:)

I've never used nic salts, but from what I understand, device wise they can be used in everything just the same as regular nicotine can. I don't think they would have any effect on coils or flavours - it's just nicotine created in a different way. Someone will/better correct me if I'm wrong here ;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread