The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Nicotine Inhalator

Discussion in 'Nicotine Replacement Therapy' started by Father Jack, Mar 20, 2008.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. PeteMcArthur

PeteMcArthur Super Member ECF Veteran

Sep 27, 2008
    Scotland
    I assume so, the only other one I know is the Boots version that is simply a rebadged Nicorette that is 5p cheaper. I just bought a new one as some people get a throat hit off them, not me unfortunately. I've not tried soaking them in liquid yet, I assume that any nic from the liquid gets there by simple evaporation. The inhalator in nowhere near as efficient nicotine delivery system so I don't think there is any danger of OD unless you get liquid in your mouth.

A big drawback is that it looks as if you are smoking a tampon:( You can get different coloured versions but they are rare or you can get a nico-pipe that is a metal version.

2. scrubadub

scrubadub Super Member ECF Veteran

Oct 12, 2008
    London, UK
    There's 10mg of nicotine in each cartridge but only 4mg available to the user. I emailed Nicorette about their ingredients and all they contain is nicotine & levo-menthol.

I've taken them apart as I'm doing an experiment at the moment with a box my doctor gave me a few months ago and some PG. The core is porous and seems to be soaked with a nicotine solution. If you lay a fresh one on some kitchen towel the liquid leeches out. I believe they start evaporating as soon as you break the seal on the things and you just breath in the fumes when required.

3. Mufftrix

Mufftrix Super Member ECF Veteran

Dec 20, 2008
    Stoke-On-Trent UK
    I tried these and besides looking a t**t you get the urge to exhale fresh air just because you so used to doing it with normal analogs expecting smoke but nothing there lol!

4. jamie

jamie Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jun 3, 2008
    USA
    I know these posts are old however I missed them the first time around and am just now enjoying them tremendously. :D

The prescription nasal spray is awesome, it's crack-in-a-bottle I always tell people. That 'extreme pain' - lol!! - yeah the first time used it's pretty harsh, however that lessens quickly to a minor irritation. For me just breathing through my mouth and avoiding sniffling for 5 minutes kept most sneezing at bay.

It's great stuff. :evil:

5. PeteMcArthur

Sep 27, 2008
    Scotland
    You have to get your pain on prescription??? Masochists can buy it over the counter here. What I cannot understand is why use this when there is a cheaper and much more pleasant alternative in snuff?

6. Frankie

Frankie Super Member ECF Veteran

Nov 13, 2008
    Slovakia
    That´s easy, Pete. Prescription drugs are not supposed to be pleasant so people do not expect them to be. On the othe hand they are supposed to be safe, and the vicious antis like to repeat to the smokers that *any* form of tobacco is the devil which will take them to hell if they do not repent... err... reform.

Remember, snuff is also illegal in some countries. It might be safe and pleasurable, but it constitutes a heresy to the dogma which must be punished...

7. surbitonPete

surbitonPete Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jan 25, 2009
    North Yorkshire UK
    I think every NRT method of getting people to stop smoking is deliberately made to be something we can't actually 'enjoy' or even 'afford' to keep on doing. A 'safer' addiction isn't what they want us to have......that's why they are going to be so desperate to stop us vaping.

8. PeteMcArthur

Sep 27, 2008
    Scotland

All very true, the NRT should not be enjoyable so we can eventually stop that as well. Are some people now hooked on the nicotine gum? If so the NRT has just become the transferred addiction.

9. jamie

Supporting member
    Jun 3, 2008
    USA
    Hey Pete.... yes the nasal spray is still prescription here, but so was the gum and patches for quite some time.

As long as folks worry about NRT being enjoyable or addictive, oncologists and pulmonologists will remain heavily booked.

10. Fat B*stard

Fat B*stard Senior Member ECF Veteran

Never tried an inhalator but I did give the gum a try for a while - bloody awful! Terrible indigestion. The instructions tell you not to swallow the saliva, but I could never manage not to do this. The damned stuff is in your mouth, what are you supposed to do with it? I'll stick with the e-cigs!

11. PeteMcArthur

Sep 27, 2008
    Scotland
    I tried the Inhalator as well as the nasal spray but it did little for me. Some people seem to get a huge throat hit out of them, but for me it was like sucking fresh air. Like you I absolutely hated the gum! Just googled nicotine gum addiction and it seems it can be a big problem, some people have been using it for years.

12. Fat B*stard

Fat B*stard Senior Member ECF Veteran

A few years ago a friend had a lung collapse and was advised (by doctors) to try gum instead of smoking. OK, he has stopped smoking but went from a 60-a-day man to a chain-chewer. He is literally constantly chewing these damned things. I doubt that can be any healthier than e-cigs.

13. lrt73

lrt73 Full Member Verified Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Hi All,

I'm new and am intested in getting started with e-cigarettes as a means to quit smoking for good, but am still in the researching phase.

I was on the Nicotrol inhaler a few years ago and did that for a few weeks, but like most, missed the sense of inhaling something. I'm a mom now and REALLY want to be here for my son and hopefully grandchildren so I'm hoping e-cigs are the way for me.

If you can get around the not inhaling anything but air, give the inhaler a try. You need a prescription, but it is more like smoking than of course, the patch and gum (which neither worked for me). I also tried several of the drugs on the market...those didn't work either. But that's for another thread I'm sure.

Happy Holiday!!
    LT

14. Vaporista

Vaporista Senior Member ECF Veteran

Ye Gods. What a great idea. I have something like 6 bottles (sealed) teetering on the edge of their expiry date.
    I only used one bottle once (and just 2 sprays at that) when I entered LHR terminal 4 a couple of years ago and found myself waiting for a plane and no where to smoke. The experience was so excrucitating that I ran from one end from the terminal to the other howling in pain. *runs off to look for bottles, some PG and some flavouring*

15. TropicalBob

TropicalBob Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jan 13, 2008
    Port Charlotte, FL USA
  16. jamie

Supporting member
    Jun 3, 2008
    USA
    HAHAHA you must be talking about the nicotine nasal spray. :D I can do an imitation of myself upon first using the spray that just slays a party crowd. ;) It literally defines "feel the burn" doesn't it?

However... you have 6 bottles left, and some people do need to try everything before they find what works for them, so I feel strongly about pointing out that this reaction diminishes VERY quickly, within a few uses. So please don't be afraid of it, gentle readers, if there is a chance it will work for you.

The REAL issue with the nic spray is the price, if you don't have help there.

17. TropicalBob

TropicalBob Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jan 13, 2008
    Port Charlotte, FL USA
    Woo-hoo. Jamie has returned! Long time ...

That running-around burn is what hits nasal snuff users when they start out. Eyes bulge and tear up. Eyebrows shoot up to the hairline. Mouth grimaces. And sneezing ensues. Keep it up and the nose gets very used to it. Only a slight burn with the good stuff.

Let us know how vaping nasal spray fluid works. I once diluted e-liquid to nasal spray strength, sprayed it into each nostril -- and it about blew my head off. Never again.

18. suparstar11

suparstar11 Full Member

Sep 22, 2009
    I tried these things to quit they absolutely did not work and I thoguht it was unpleasant to inhale them, my 2 cents. Cheers!

19. Snarkyone

Snarkyone Super Member ECF Veteran

I had one of the Nicotrol Inhalers and it was doing an ok job but I had to drive across the country a couple times about a month into quitting and that just fell apart. Since getting my Dragon then a 510 for a spare I have not had a tobacco cigarette since 9/11/09.

20. jj2

jj2 Moved On ECF Veteran

May 30, 2009
    Hundred Acre Wood
    I got a sister who is trying it. She's suppose to get back to me about how it's going.
    She's a heavy smoker and told her to got with the PV.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.