'Nicotine is evil'...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpargana

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
Portugal
Just wanted to share this story... because we all have heard things like "When are you going to quit that?", or
"I believe you are still smoking." All because the e-juice has the evil nicotine in it.

Well, one of my wife's aunts is a retired nurse. About a week ago, she saw me vaping in her patio, and was obviously curious about it. (On a side note, I was quite surprised that only now did she discover that I vaped: I have been vaping countless times inside, mainly after lunch, and she didn't seem to notice - how low-profile can u get?? :D)

Well, back on topic: knowing her well, a somewhat anti-smoking, former nurse, I stressed out in the conversation that

1) Thanks to the e-cig, I haven't touched a cigarette for more than four years

2) Ingredients in the e-juice are GRAS substances (She knew about propilene glycol, BTW, and was confortable about it)

3) The e-cig is a smokeless alternative to tobacco cigarettes. You get your nicotine fix, your throat hit and also your 'behavioural fix' associated with cigarette smoking, without actually inhaling smoke, but vapour instead.

Well, her reaction was somewhat... neutral, I guess. Not against it, like "If you've been using that thing for so long, you should already have tried to quit that also", but on the other hand, not really impressed either. To tell you the truth, I was kind of disapointed with her reaction. I mean, this was the person who used to give me lenghty lectures on the evils of tobacco smoking every effing time she caught me smoking (To be fair, not only me, but every few smoker in the family). Suddenly, she discovers that I have finally managed to quit smoking, more than fours years ago, and... wow! Not really impressed??

Two days later, she saw me vaping again, this time in my house. We started talking about the e-cig again, "Has it realy worked for you? Yada, yada..." and casually, I stated that we can even buy juice without nicotine. Believe it or not, that's when her interested kicked in: "Really?? Have you tried it? Well, why didn't you? You should think about it..."

So, my point is: when she found out that the e-cig can be a 'nicotine-less' alternative to cigarettes, her reaction was much more positive towards the device. The fact thar the e-cig is a smokeless alternative to cigarettes, didn't seem to make her raise an eyebrow...

For goodness sake...! If not even trained health professionals can detach themselves from the 'demonic nicotine' concept, you can well imagine what's going in the minds of the untrained/uninformed/misinformed 'common folk'...!

OK, sorry :oops:, rant over... do you have any thoughts on this?

Barbara21

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2013
Greenville, SC, USA
As a 'trained health professional' (aka registered nurse), I'd like to point out that most of us 'can detach themselves from the 'demonic nicotine' concept' just fine, thankyouverymuch. :glare:

To be fair, she has probably spent her whole life thinking nicotine=cigarettes which was fair because you couldn't separate the two. Now you can and she'll have to revise her thinking a bit. Give her a chance

tanzmitpalmer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2013
Kentucky
If she worked night shift at any point in her career, you know she was at one point pretty tight with the demon called caffeine. So really, she can't get too het up about it. It has pretty much the same exact effects and potential damages going for it.

Have you scaled back the mg at all from where you started? That could be another selling point. You may not be at 0mg right now, but that doesn't mean you couldn't have it as a potential goal, on your own terms and at your own pace. For all she knows, anywho.

BigBen2k

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2013
MA, USA
Sadly, there's a lot of data "out there" that uses the terms "nicotine" and "tobacco" interchangeably.

This is going to take a while to fix.

Then on to educate people that nicotine alone is about as harmless as caffeine. The FDA already allows nicotine patches and gum to be sold without a prescription (but it's not quite the same nicotine).

jpargana

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
Portugal
Sadly, there's a lot of data "out there" that uses the terms "nicotine" and "tobacco" interchangeably.

This is going to take a while to fix.

Then on to educate people that nicotine alone is about as harmless as caffeine. The FDA already allows nicotine patches and gum to be sold without a prescription (but it's not quite the same nicotine).

Yes, I believe that's the thing... you see, in more than one of those 'lenghty lectures' I wrote about earlier, she asked if I had ever tried the patch, or gum, or whatever crappy, ineffective products Big Pharma throws at us... so, obviously, 'pharma nicotine' did not seem to be an issue. Why, then, should there be an issue when that same nicotine is mixed in e-juice ?

BigBen2k

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2013
MA, USA

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
As a 'trained health professional' (aka registered nurse), I'd like to point out that most of us 'can detach themselves from the 'demonic nicotine' concept' just fine, thankyouverymuch. :glare:

To be fair, she has probably spent her whole life thinking nicotine=cigarettes which was fair because you couldn't separate the two. Now you can and she'll have to revise her thinking a bit. Give her a chance

You are a vaper who has done the research so you understand. I'm curious what percentage of your colleagues understand. Do you have any feel for this?

And just to be clear, there is nothing negative in my question. I'm convinced they can understand.

jpargana

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
Portugal
I wonder if we could spew enough propaganda out to get stupidity banned.

Well, that may actually be fair... I am easily offended by the sight of stupidity... :evil:

Besides, stupidity should have been banned before tobacco cigarettes. Unlike tobacco cigarettes, stupidity can kill you mighty fast!

(At least, that's the general idea I got from 'A Thousand Ways to Die'...)

:lol::lol::lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread