Nicotine levels and older vapers, something I find odd. (a little story)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmdebrecht

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri
I think finding the right nic level is probably the biggest concern when someone is new to vaping and may not be stressed enough when folks try vaping in an effort to quit analogs. I have been in vape shops when people are buying their first setups. When it comes time to choose a juice the starting point is how much a person smoked a day, which is indeed a great place to start. Unfortunately the conversation on the topic usually ends there. I think it's important to explain that it may take some experimentation and not to get discouraged. I also think folks ought to be told to grab a bottle in a higher level just in case.

Not everyone who tries vaping knows about the awesome information here on Ecf so the folks at vape shops are often their only source for education and encouragement.

It's funny you mentioned about vapor...the only thing I cared about when I first started vaping was nic and the hand-to-mouth habit. Now I just love clouds and clouds of vapor!

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
Anecdotal evidence is the most interesting evidence to me

Thirty months ago with my first vape (eGo batt mitt cartridges), I immediately quit smokin':

24mg - three weeks
18mg - a year
15mg - up to now

Might try 12mg again in da near future. Tried dat 'bout a year ago... not enuff lung fill fer moi at dat time. Being 66+ years young, I'll continue to vape nic at some level prophylactically due to patches being prescribed for dose suffering dementia/CRS.

As fer my 'bakky history...
point_down.gif

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
I'm 61, smoker since 18...up to 3+ pad of full flavor cigs. I started at 24mg and 5-6 mil per day on a cig-sized with cartos. That worked great...but...after 2-3 months I started getting anxiety, sleeplessness, light-headed. So I began to cut back my nic levels...I quickly dropped to 15mg. For the last 6 months, I've settled at 9mg....still 5-6 mil per day.

My wife was a 1.5 pad smoker and has taken a similar course...although she started at 18mg and has also settled at 9mg.

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
^^If you don't DIY your liquid, did you both settle on 9mg out of convenience of getting one bottle of each flavors you like? My girlfriend loves everything I do, but I'm going to buy her a lot lower nic-level, since she quit smoking to have a baby.

I gotta start quoting more..this forum is way to active to just respond to someone without quotes.

Greaser55

May 21, 2013
Missoula, MT, USA
I feel the same way, I smoked for 11 years, switched between lights and reds the whole time. When I started vaping, 18 mg wasn't enough, so I bumped it up to 24, after a month or so, 24 mg started to feel like too much. So 3 months ago I dropped down to 18 mg. Now after a month vaping 18, I feel like its too much, I'm thinking I'm gonna get some lower nic juice on my next order, its crazy how its such an automatic reaction but I think I will eventually end up at zero nic and just continue vaping because I really like it. I have gotten 4 of my friends to switch from cigs to vaping, and although they all smoked the same amount, each one settled on a different level of nicotine in their liquid, its really crazy.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
I feel like this is something we need to stress a lot. You can't just "guess" the nic level, it takes time and money to find something that works for you.

totally agree, as newbie I was encouraged toward 24 or 18mg.......I was sick, jumpy, anxious and had reflux and stomacheaches.

In a PM a kind member started going over the DETAILS of my previous smoking habits with me, and determined I should be at about 12-14mg...........Voila. He was right.

I've since moved down to between 6 and 9mg........I smoked for 25+ year. Full flavor American Sprit RYO most of the last 15years.

EvilZoe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
I think maybe the younger vapers want the nic buzz, whereas those over 30, not so much.

Hey, us oldsters like a buzz as much as the next guy...lol

I apologize if I missed it but aren't we forgetting the third part of the equation? How much do you vape a day? I would think that would be a significant factor in determining how much nicotine you 'need'?

It stands to reason that one would vape more if they felt they needed more. If one vapes more than one needs, one feels negative effects and naturally slows down.

This doesn't, however, work in a 0 nic juice situation....lol

MJTP

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2012
TN
I casually smoked for a few years, then turned to about a pack a day for 4 months, and then have been on about half a pack a day for awhile. Surprisingly, I don't give a hoot about nicotine whatsoever; it's never been what my body is addicted to. I'll openly admit that I'm addicted to the act of smoking because the feeling of a thick air going into my lungs seems to calm me down just a tad, I can't go long without that type of distraction. Now, I like the high from nicotine as much as anyone else, but I haven't felt that since a week after I first started smoking. I'd happily vape 0 nic if it tasted amazing (which is why I'm less worried about FDA laws - there's no way under the sun they can regulate vegetable glycerin and food flavorings!). Being able to vape with nicotine is just a bonus that I rarely use - to feel the nicotine, I'll just exhale through nose, and I do feel the buzz I originally felt with cigarettes so long ago. But it's not my requirement. I just enjoy sitting down and inhaling something! It's my favorite thing to do while watching a movie or something. I love everything about vaping - sadly, as everyone on this forum probably knows, I haven't been able to get ahold of a working vaping device in over 3 years, so I'm still a cig guy, very sadly (I hate the taste and general low mood feeling associated with cigs!) Imagine if you have been trying to vape for 3 years, spending hundreds on it, yet every single device you recieve and buy either burns up or shorts out or comes in faulty with no refund. It is extremely stressful.

*I also have the motto that if I want a darn cig, then I'll have a darn cig, and it's a great mindset IMO. No pressure. I feel like a couple cigs a day at most would be so much better than what I've been doing, and with vaping, I only feel the need for the fullness of a cigarette every so often (and alcoholic drinks require them.) While I'm super interested in NET's for a pipe tobacco type vape, I'm in no goal to make my vape taste like a cigarette. That'd be awful anyway. When I need a cigarette, I'll have one. I even want to quit for awhile so that I can enjoy cigarettes again LOL. I smoke so much that I can't even taste them anymore, tastes like I'm smoking powder, and it's sickly :(

My advice to anyone is of coarse do the goal you set out to do, but my opinion is that life's life, one cigarette isn't going to kill anyone. For example, with how they treat drug addiction in Europe opposed to the US, the US promotes a cold turkey sit in rehab deal. Europe and places like that promote a "here's a medical version of your drug and we'll give it to you in a smaller and smaller dose every time you need it when you walk into our clinic 4 times a day, and in the meanwhile, go party and have fun, learn about life while your body is slowly healing." The later is what I think works, where people just slowly get sober and realize "what in the world am I doing? I feel good enough now that I don't need to fool with this anymore." and then they get a nice hobby. During the rare times I got a working vape, that's exactly what I did. I found what I enjoyed and stopped cigs before I even knew it. For people that have cravings, try new things like NET's, new flavors, better vapor amounts, find something about vaping that tastes and feels better than cigarettes, and while you enjoy that, don't pressure yourself to entirely quit smoking if you don't want to!

But do exhale the vapor from your nose. It's more relaxing than a cigarette could ever be, literally gives me a "high." and suddenly makes cigarettes feel pathetic! Find the things about vaping that make you hate cigs, and sometimes, that's a process. IMO, forced cold turkey often leaves people in the mindset that they crave it instead of hate it!

Last edited:

MJTP

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2012
TN
^One thing I might advise is getting two seperate tanks; one with whatever nic you truly like, and one with none. If your body just needs that pick-me-up in the morning (I think that's the ONE thing I may have a true need for nicotine for), puff on the high one a little while, and then puff on the no-nic one the rest of the day or until you need the high one again. A few puffs of high nic a day would be a lot better than a constant 3mg, if you do vape a lot.

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx
I apologize if I missed it but aren't we forgetting the third part of the equation? How much do you vape a day? I would think that would be a significant factor in determining how much nicotine you 'need'?

When I smoked, I smoked almost constantly, 3 packs a day or more. I never went long without a cig, and lighting one right after another was pretty much constant.

When I started vaping, at 24 nic, I did the same, and it didn't get me of the cigs. 30nic juice did the trick. And just like when I was smoking, I was vaping constantly, 24 most of the time, 30 right after meals. For months, 24 "all the time" was my norm. Then I decided to cut down.

As I cut down, I still vape all the time. I'm down to 0 nic, and other than the lack of throat hit, I don't miss the nic enough to matter. But I still vape constantly, and if I can't or don't vape, I'm not happy.

So for me, I needed the high nic to get off the cigs, but moving down was easy, and I can do without the nic. But at least so far, I haven't found a way to slow down how often I vape, just the nic level when I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread