Nicotine & Mouth Cancer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pangoo

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2008
NYC
Does anybody know if there has been any studies at all about nicotine juice used in e-cigs causing mouth cancer similar to that caused by chewing tobacco?

I am just wondering because I often suck the juice into my mouth when using an e-cig and my lips and gums get numb. I try to avoid this but sometimes
I guess I drip too much liquid in the cartridge, or inhale too hard, and am
scared of my mouth ending up like this:

Effects of tobacco on oral tissue...graphic, shocking, pictures

:cry::cry::cry:

PeteMcArthur

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2008
Scotland
Like Grenage says, I don't think you have too much to worry about. I did a lot of research when looking for alternatives to cigarettes and chewing tobacco frightened me. However most seem to agree that it is not the nicotine causing the cancer but the other tobacco ingredients. The is some evidence that nicotine can encourage the growth of existing cancerous cells. Snus which is cured differently has a much lower incidence or oral cancer and European type nasal snuff has almost no cases of nasal cancer.

If you worried gave a good search around the net. Take what the interest groups say with a pinch of salt, they have their agendas and they don't let the facts get it the way. A bit of digging will bring up proper clinical trials that show the facts.

They way I look at it, my habits now appear to be MUCH less dangerous than smoking. A couple of drops of liquid will not in my opinion, hurt you. It will however taste foul.:):)

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Everything Pete told you is correct. It's not nicotine that causes mouth cancer in chewing tobacco freaks. It's tars and a plethora of carcinogenic chemicals that they rest against their cheeks and gums all day. I'll bet you'd get mouth cancer if you rested DIRT in your mouth that way. It's just unnatural. But snus has a great record and the tobacco industry is seeing much of its future in future snus users, along with dissolvable tobacco bits. E-smoking involves nothing of known carcinogenic potential -- at this point. We're still guinea pigs -- but at least we're enlightened guinea pigs now, thanks to the New Zealand research.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
E-smoking just hasn't existed long enough for definitive studies on all aspects to have been conducted. That's why you'll find veteran e-smokers saying "It shouldn't be a problem." Leaking liquid happens. It happens mostly because you're drawing too hard on a too-full cartridge. The liquid escapes through the areas reserved for vapor passage and exits into your mouth. Just spit it out, rinse out your mouth, wipe off your cartridge sides and carry on.

jimldk

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2008
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Does anybody know if there has been any studies at all about nicotine juice used in e-cigs causing mouth cancer similar to that caused by chewing tobacco?

I am just wondering because I often suck the juice into my mouth when using an e-cig and my lips and gums get numb. I try to avoid this but sometimes
I guess I drip too much liquid in the cartridge, or inhale too hard, and am
scared of my mouth ending up like this:

Effects of tobacco on oral tissue...graphic, shocking, pictures

:cry::cry::cry:

Hi pangoo....just wanna let you know (like what TB said)...way to early for any carcinogenic effect to take place(cancers doesn't grow overnight) but still not related to Nicotine ..more of tobacco pyrolysis effect than liquids effect...so wait for the full studies like a 6 years prolonged study will show the good and the bad.....;)

Pangoo

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2008
NYC
Leaking liquid happens. It happens mostly because you're drawing too hard on a too-full cartridge. The liquid escapes through the areas reserved for vapor passage and exits into your mouth. Just spit it out, rinse out your mouth, wipe off your cartridge sides and carry on.

Yeah, I do tend to fill up the cartridge with as much liquid as it'll take so that it'll last me a bit longer.

I should just carry some extra carts with me from now on, but they sometimes
leak in my pocket... They don't last me very long so I'm constantly having to
refill them.

Yeah, I do tend to fill up the cartridge with as much liquid as it'll take so that it'll last me a bit longer.

I should just carry some extra carts with me from now on, but they sometimes
leak in my pocket... They don't last me very long so I'm constantly having to
refill them.

Hey Pangoo, just carry a single 15 or 30ml eye-dropper bottle of juice around with you in your jacket. Way less messy than dealing with multiple leaking carts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread