Nicotine oxidation question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
@Myk I bought a 17ml of 48mg and i diluted it down to 12mg. Then took a norpro mixer to it for a minute. I havent tasted it yet. But it smells very strong now lol. So im guessing it will taste as good as it smells. @Kickingthesticks Im going to just stick to buying 12mg.

It was probably good that my stir plate wouldn't spin with VG. At the end of the nicotine comparison thread someone just gave their results of oxidizing, it was peppery.

go_player

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
USA
I just bought a norpro mini mixer, and i want to use that to mix my nicotine to ensure even nicotine distribution before separating it into smaller jars for storage. From what I've read, people have scared me into thinking that if i mix my nicotine with a tool, that it will immediately lose a couple mg strength, or that it starts the process of it losing strength fast. Does anyone know how fast it takes nicotine to lose nicotine content after both setting and mixing? And how much it degrades?

There's a lot of funny folk information out there about nic. DIYers do not necessarily have a lot of background in Chemistry, I suppose. Here are some things I am pretty sure are true:

1) If your nic came well-mixed it will remain well-mixed indefinitely, at least at the strengths you are likely to order, and that we are allowed to talk about on ECF. I can't easily find data on how miscible nic is with PG or VG, but at 10% I think it's safe to assume that it's completely miscible. It's not going to come out of solution unless you do something pretty extreme t it- and it happens to be the case that both PG and VG require extreme extremes.

2) While a less reputable supplier _might_ ship you nic that wasn't well-mixed on the scale of your bottle they work in batches, so it's far more likely that the entire bottle would be off in nicotine content than that it would contain "hotspots," but be otherwise around the desired nic level. This has happened, btw- one nic supplier, IIRC, accidentally shipped customers some ~50% nic once, when their customers ordered 10%. That's unfortunate. But the point is that it had nothing to do with hotspots on the consumer scale.

3) Mixing your nic as a precaution is safe enough, but unnecessary.

4) Mixing extra air into juice might cause changes in flavor, but it is unlikely to cause changes in the effectiveness of nicotine as a psychoactive compound on the timescales we're concerned with.

I'd be interested to hear any reasonable argument against any of the above points, of course.

go_player

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
USA
2) While a less reputable supplier _might_ ship you nic that wasn't well-mixed on the scale of your bottle they work in batches, so it's far more likely that the entire bottle would be off in nicotine content than that it would contain "hotspots," but be otherwise around the desired nic level. This has happened, btw- one nic supplier, IIRC, accidentally shipped customers some ~50% nic once, when their customers ordered 10%. That's unfortunate. But the point is that it had nothing to do with hotspots on the consumer scale.

3) Mixing your nic as a precaution is safe enough, but unnecessary.

After thinking about it a bit I'll point out the weak point in my argument. 1 and 4 are unassailable, I think, but 2 and 3 have a weakness. _If_ a nic vendor made a huge mistake and failed to mix your nic properly it might come not just at the wrong strength, but not well-mixed. So it might be twice as strong in places, but four times as strong in others. Mixing it well would help in this case, I suppose. I'm inclined to think that PG-based nic would become well-mixed in the time it took to get to you, at whatever concentration, but I could see VG-based nic retaining some hot spots.

The thing is, this would require a huge blunder on the part of your vendor- not unheard of, but very rare, and the sort of mistake that could (and did?) put a vendor out of business, so the sort of mistake they will try at all costs to avoid. Absent that, I think 3 stands.

I'll also note that even in the case I know of where a vendor shipped much stronger nic than they meant to it was discovered mainly by people reporting feeling ill when vaping it. That's unfortunate, but not catastrophic. Nic is a poison, and should be treated with respect, but we should retain some perspective, IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread