Nicotine Salts

Status
Not open for further replies.

pfaber11

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 16, 2009
england
Well a couple of weeks ago I decided to try nicotine salts I purchased off of two brands both in 20 mg strength. What a disappointment I didn't notice any difference between the nic salts and my regular liquid apart from the price . Would definitely not recommend maybe it's a little smoother but as for it hitting faster and harder I couldn't see any difference . It's a fad .

EverythingEvil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2014
Grand Junction, Co
I honestly
Well a couple of weeks ago I decided to try nicotine salts I purchased off of two brands both in 20 mg strength. What a disappointment I didn't notice any difference between the nic salts and my regular liquid apart from the price . Would definitely not recommend maybe it's a little smoother but as for it hitting faster and harder I couldn't see any difference . It's a fad .

I think the biggest plus for me is that I can vape extremely high percentages of nicotine that I would never even think of vaping with standard freebase. It makes 50mg/ml vapable. I don't know that it really hits you any faster than freebase if you are using the same mg juice, but there is a pretty noticeable difference in nicotine delivery around 30-50 mg/ml.

Acer50

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2014
Duck River Tasmania
www.facebook.com
I purchased two brands of Nic Salts.
1. From a New Zealand Company called Mixology. com and the other from Hiliq.

OK, with Nic salts if you sub ohm, which I do at 6mg, the equivalent mix with salts for me would be a 15 mg mix compared to freebase. I get a very smooth nic hit with Salts when mixed @15mg/ml.

Mixology Salts were excellent and so were Hiliq Salts, smooth as a babies botty.

However, there seems to be one con with Hiliq salts and that being they gunk up the coils super fast. To be fair, I tested the Hiliq salts both in my Nautalis pod, as Hiliq stipulate thar their salts are designed for pods, the salt specific coil of the Nautalis lasted two days before giving burnt taste.

My mix btw is 50%Vg and 50%PG

In the pod I had to mix for 25mg/ml to get my nic hit, both brands.

In my Dead Rabit tank, the coils gunked up in three days, ok I pulse burned them and re wicked them. There is something not exactly right with Hiliq salts.

The Mixology Salts I am still using the same coil for three weeks and same wick.
The Nautalis pod I only take in the car

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Nicotine salts are created; by adding an acid, to freebase nicotine. Different acids create different nicotine salt molecules. These different salt molecules will vaporize a bit differently ("cleaner/dirtier"). Because most vendors/manufacturers don't disclose the specific ingredients used... it is mostly left to trial and error.

And, just like traditional (freebase nicotine) e-liquids, gunking is still affected by the flavor concentrates used too. So, unless one has a specific 1:1 comparison (all same ingredients, other than the nicotine concentrate), it is (to me) a bit unfair to arbitrarily blame the salts.

Acer50

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2014
Duck River Tasmania
www.facebook.com
Nicotine salts are created; by adding an acid, to freebase nicotine. Different acids create different nicotine salt molecules. These different salt molecules will vaporize a bit differently ("cleaner/dirtier"). Because most vendors/manufacturers don't disclose the specific ingredients used... it is mostly left to trial and error.

And, just like traditional (freebase nicotine) e-liquids, gunking is still affected by the flavor concentrates used too. So, unless one has a specific 1:1 comparison (all same ingredients, other than the nicotine concentrate), it is (to me) a bit unfair to arbitrarily blame the salts.
When testing the two brands of salts, I mixed unflavoured to be fair as I am well aware concentrates play a role in gunking. I have been vaping now for 6 years and mixing my own for 5.

Indeed no manufacturer will reveal what is added. Trial and error applies to both the manufacturer and consumer.

So far I tried two brands, and I love the smoothness of both. The only con is as I said one gunks up more than the other.

I likewise hope they are not a fad and here to stay.

Last edited:
Reactions: IDJoel

Acer50

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2014
Duck River Tasmania
www.facebook.com
You did not tell us what device you vaped them in and I assume you purchased RTV juice with salts. 20 mg juice using nic salts would be good sub ohming, it a pod at low wattage they would indeed be poor. For my Nautalis pod I mix between now 40 to 50 mg /ml to get a good hit with the pod.

Still experimenting with salts though.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
When testing the two brands of salts, I mixed unflavoured to be fair as I am well aware concentrates play a role in gunking.
Then, that indeed, sounds like a fair test and appraisal.:thumb:
I likewise hope they are not a fad and here to stay.
I don't see them as being a fad. They serve a legitimate function in the satisfactory performance of pod styled systems (low power {output and capacity}, high resistance, low vapor production setups; that require high{+25mg/mL} nicotine content in order to be satisfying). As long as these systems remain popular; I don't see nic salts going anywhere. And, converting your own freebase to salts, also remains a DIY option.

Add to that; the increased profit margins the sellers are (for the most part) <cough> gouging right now, and I just don't see them going away anytime soon.
:)

Acer50

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2014
Duck River Tasmania
www.facebook.com
Then, that indeed, sounds like a fair test and appraisal.:thumb:

I don't see them as being a fad. They serve a legitimate function in the satisfactory performance of pod styled systems (low power {output and capacity}, high resistance, low vapor production setups; that require high{+25mg/mL} nicotine content in order to be satisfying). As long as these systems remain popular; I don't see nic salts going anywhere. And, converting your own freebase to salts, also remains a DIY option.

Add to that; the increased profit margins the sellers are (for the most part) <cough> gouging right now, and I just don't see them going away anytime soon.
:)
Price gouging you certainly got that part right. The prices being asked for Nude Nicotine from our NZ suppliers is rediculous. To buy it State Side or the UK the freight is the killer.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Have not seen any formula for converting freebase to Nic Salts thus far be interesting to read.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk
Here is just one to get you started. @mikepetro shared his method here:
Nicotine Comparisons
and expanded on this a bit, here:
Using Citric Acid in DIY

I imagine there are other ways to do it. This is just the one I can recall off the top of my addled brain.:facepalm::)

Acer50

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2014
Duck River Tasmania
www.facebook.com
Thanks Joel, I have played with Citric acid but only in fruit flavours I have been in touch with a good friend an industrial chemist and maybe he will answer this for us.
I wrote the following in an Australian forum as it mainly affects us in Australia and mods please forgive cross posting as this may be of interest.

"As Benzoic Acid is used in Nic Salts,
This is worth a read, especially item 13 Safety and warning

https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.g...on=Analytic-Laboratory-Methods

Are we going backwards with salts?

If and when Nic vapes are legalised in Au and pods with their tiny tank capacities like the UK become the norm, Big Pharma and Big Tobacco become major distributors, who is to say that BT will not add other suspicious additives to our juice as they did with cigarettes to make them more addictive?

Why are we Having issues with Hiliq salts and not Mixology and Nude Nicotine?
Hiliq is very silent on this and I am sure Ryan would have seen and read our discussions.
Is Hiliq putting different additives in their product that others are not?

Nic Salts have us, that tried them, hooked due to their smoothness, is this a start to the above?
emoji54.png

Personally after reading the material above, on the link I posted, I will be going back to freebase."

The link that I have provided is very technical, however the wife read it and said leave it alone and do not try, she has a pharmacist degree. Some of you that are chemistry minded might understand it.

• Informative

Acer50

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2014
Duck River Tasmania
www.facebook.com
Exactly, and to make 45mg mix with a 200mg base of salts you need 6.75 mls of salts for 30 mls of juice. Then you have to get a dedicated pod.

That's just under 1/5 of your mix in salts some brands not cheap, and a special pod or coils.

Manufacturers profiteering that's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread